i cant believe people!

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by elalr, Mar 9, 2011.

1. elalr

elalr Member

today at work i got to listen to a whole group of people laughing at some of the preppers here. they all think we are crazy. there are a few here on board and i do talk to them a little but i try to stay under the radar. i dont want people knowin what im doin. i just cant believe they can be so ignorant! :gaah:

2. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

There very well might come a day when were the ones laughin at them, standin in line waitin fer a government handout while we live a bit more normal life.

Very few people round here discuss it, we sorta know who is prepared an who ain't. The ones that ain't gonna be on there own I'm fraid.

3. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

elair...I just read parts of an interview and the columnist who has friends inside--he was a 30 year Kansas trooper--says the plans to ration gas are in the works....LEO?? will be patroling the roads?? chit!!

take it for WIW...but my cars and trucks stay full always...even the one sitting in the drive.

This guy writes for newswithviews.com.

Strange as it may be--all those predicting the time for something to happen was the week from the
    6th to the 15th--go figure!! I'm awake and listening...hope we all are.

I guess you all know a riot is being called in Saudi for the 11th, and the Saudi govt has outlawed riots!!! Amazing---jsut say you can't riot and it will happen??? Geeze!!

4. Genevieve

Genevieve I'm done - gone

wait...WTH were they doing reading this forum? WHO gave them the link? and why aren't they WORKING?! Get your azzes back to work and stop cruzin the web, idiots.

Sides, I'm calling them out. Come here and laugh at my FACE cowards.:cool:

:nuts:

5. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Let the scoffers scoff, I'll just keep on prepping.:D

6. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Careful what you say and to who. If they're laughing but remember those who have been doing stuff they'll be at their door when something hits. You don't want that door to be yours.

Usually in public settings I may drop comments about "the economy is still bad" and "gas is going up, heard food is about to follow suit" and usually finally "yeah, and all that upheavel in the (middle east country d'jour)... what if that ever started here?"

At this point either the person is into a serious discussion about what could happen and making sure you got your stuff together... although I still do not mention anything that I have or am doing... or more likey they just laugh it off. Sad to say the latter response is what I get 95%+ of the time. And even the few cases where the other person appeared to have a bit of a clue their approach was more along the lines of having shotgun handy for defense but no consideration for any other preps.

A co-worker just got back from our Mexico sales office and was telling me about our employee down there who was almost car jacked and had the bullet holes in his car to prove it. I listened and then replied "Wow... yeah, that's bad. Hope that never starts happening up here with all the unemployment and such.". He immediately told me how wrong I was and that it could never happen here because you just call the police and they come to help. I mentioned recent police layoffs and that some local cities have already said they'll respond but simply no longer have the staff to be proactive. He again felt that we'd never have problems in the US like other countries are having. I quickly changed the subject at that point. :)

7. geoffreys7

geoffreys7 Well-Known Member

Wise old man says; He who laughs last, laughs best!

They have no clue as to how bad it can get! :gaah:

8. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I think this is the attitude I am keeping as well. The guys at work know I'm into 'self sufficiency', and they always ask "so where are you gonna go, so I know where to go".........

9. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Silence is golden. Keep prepping and keep it quite. The hair has been standing up on the back of my neck all week. Just have that feeling the beginning of the end is not too far off. Pray I'm wrong. Still have a lot of prepping to do.

10. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

Folks like that will pay the price when the shtf. We'll be the ones laughing. Like everyone else says: keep silent, keep prepping!

11. ComputerGuy

ComputerGuy Retired Air Force

We have some folks here who are preppers, and for the most part we know who we are. We are a pretty tight lipped group and share most what we know in hushed conversations, while the sheeple worry about their computers and coffee

12. Lolajack

Lolajack Member

Let them laugh, keep your preps close to your vest and prepare accordingly. I, too, feel a real sense of urgency and have for the past few months although I've been actively prepping for the past year and a half.
    Still trying to convince a few friends and I don't know why they are not terribly concerned yet complain about the rising energy and food costs.

The latest news about Saudi Arabia should concern us all.

13. elalr

elalr Member

i guess i mis-spoke. they arent laughing at us on this sight...they are laughing at other preppers at work. say weve gone off the deep end. glad im not in those conversations. i just slide by and warn the others to keep it low.

14. Frugal_Farmers

Frugal_Farmers Good ole country folk

Some things are just not meant to be shared with folks in the workplace. Now you know this is one subject that should be left out of office conversation.

Find comfort in knowing that you have found a forum to share information with like minded people.

I have found that most people have no clue about prepping because they have that typical instant gratification minset that has spread like cancer throughout America. We can do little to change that minset amounst the masses.

We typically open the door to discussion with talking about concerns about the economy with folks. We learn alot in a few moments and either drop the conversation or continue cautiously.

Most folks assume that someone will bail their asses out of any jam that may arise. Sadly, these are the folks who will suffer the most.

Blow these folks off and keep on doing what you can do to prepare.

15. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I'd rather be off in the deep end than floating around aimlessly in the shallow end of the gene pool!:D:D:D

16. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I guess you just can't fix stupid. :scratch

Smart people prepare... even the dumb ones like me. :D

Yep... I'm dumb. Who else do you know who tried to freeze-dry Dr. Pepper? :nuts:

My freeze-dried water worked OK; just open the can and add water. :eek:

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

LOlajack...that sense of urgency has been hitting me lately...it's like I can't get enough done...fast enough!:dunno:

I also have been storing for two years--heck, if I move this stuff one more time, I quit...but living in the NM zone, I had to unstack cases and cases of vegetables, and unstack buckets.:congrat:

18. -KoWBoY-

-KoWBoY- Super Patriot

It happens a lot around here. There will always be people that think they are covered and don't lift a finger to help themselves. They have never really done anything on their own. They figure they will be able to take advantage of good peoples good nature when the time comes. Those are the folks you have to watch out for. Because when they don't get what they want they start screaming to high heaven to attract unwanted attention.

19. Lolajack

Lolajack Member

JayJay, absolutely. Just when I think my list is complete I find I have to add yet another item. It's an ongoing journey but I am grateful I started doing this when I did. Could kick myself for not starting sooner but all I can do is move forward and not look back. I have to say that it's a blessing I found like-minded people here and on other forums. I'm learning so much.

20. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Amen. Learning every day and thankful for it.