Prepared Society Forum banner

I Bought 2 Batteries

10K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  Meerkat 
#1 ·
Yesterday I bought 2 Duracel Marine Deep Cycle 12 volts.They were $69 each plus core charhe $9 ,right at $200 with tax .
27 DC and 600 or 800 cranking amps.
I think I can just wire a fan direct to them?:dunno:

I got them at Sams Club,they had a non member day,and I asked if we could bring them back,they said we could.

#2 ·
The heat is relentless!!!Add to that the humudity.:eek:
They are saying next year will be as ba or worse,one of the Ninias El or Lel.

I figure buy a panel to charge them in a couple months.Meanwhile keep them charged with battery charger in case we need the.

#3 ·
I think I can just wire a fan direct to them?:dunno:
If the fan runs on standard 120v; No, you can't wire it direct. The wrong voltage coming into the fan will ruin the motor. I don't know exactly why but that's what I was told by my dad. You will need an inverter to turn your DC power into AC or use a fan that is made to run on DC.

BTW. I think you'll have 24V with 2- 12v batteries. :rolleyes: :D

#4 ·
If the fan runs on standard 120v; No, you can't wire it direct. The wrong voltage coming into the fan will ruin the motor. I don't know exactly why but that's what I was told by my dad. You will need an inverter to turn your DC power into AC or use a fan that is made to run on DC.

Thanks,yea I will get the inverters soon as somebody tells me which ones.
I also have to buy the DC fan .I was looking at a metal fan by Road Pro and one by Fan-tastic Endless Breeze.Both are smalll '6 inch' or box fans,I want the round one. I figure at least a 10 inch fan.
Right now I have a sick dog to worry about and costing us.Soon as I can I'll go to library and use their web so I can visit more sites withut getting booted off.

#6 ·

depends on if you wire them in parallel or series unclejoe....:cool:

#8 ·
Source...

Harbor Freight Tools carries small inverters that plug into the cigarette lighter, or hook to the battery posts, of a car. I got one for $17 that I use to run my laptop in the car.

While not the best out there, you could probably rig them up to run your fan(s) fairly easily.

Available in various wattages and prices.

Search results for: 'Inverters'

Attachments

#9 ·
your batteries will need to be wired together. Since you bought 2 12v. batteries, you will wire the 2 positive cable ends together and same with the 2 neg. poles. Then pull one positive lead and one neg. lead from opposite corners, which will give you double the amps but keep you 12v. Next, just buy a small 12v fan, which you may do even better on ebay or rv stores, and you can wire it to the batteries without an inverter.

#10 ·
Harbor Freight Tools carries small inverters that plug into the cigarette lighter, or hook to the battery posts, of a car. I got one for $17 that I use to run my laptop in the car.

While not the best out there, you could probably rig them up to run your fan(s) fairly easily.

Available in various wattages and prices.

Search results for: 'Inverters'
Thanks ,and thanks for pictures too.:flower:
I wrote this down.

#11 ·
your batteries will need to be wired together. Since you bought 2 12v. batteries, you will wire the 2 positive cable ends together and same with the 2 neg. poles. Then pull one positive lead and one neg. lead from opposite corners, which will give you double the amps but keep you 12v. Next, just buy a small 12v fan, which you may do even better on ebay or rv stores, and you can wire it to the batteries without an inverter.
Thanks for hanging in here with me so long,
:flower:.
In your opinion,are these ok batteries or should I return for somethign else?
Will I need a controller ,would it help with power storage?How about cheap sine kill watt thing'forgot :confused: '?

#12 ·
Running a fan or powering such a small inverter won't require both batteries. I'd propose you just use one and keep the 2nd in reserve. When the first battery gets low from usage, swap them. If you use both at the same time then get low voltage, you're out of commission until you re-charge both.

When you connect 2 batteries in parallel (as you would want here), if the batteries aren't matched, the weaker battery will draw from the stronger.

While doing your shopping, look at marine battery boxes. Put a battery in the box with the cables connected to the inverter and put the lid on. Then take the inverter and lay it on top of the lid. Strap them together using the provided strap and you have a nice little self-contained unit.

#13 ·
There is a great diagram of how to wire the batteries together in order to have the most "amp-hours" and keep the batteries at 12-volt output ..

From: Wiring 12 Volt Batteries in Parallel - Solar RV Panels

Parallel wiring:

On that page they also show series wiring of two 6-volt batteries to make 12-volt power - in your situation, you will want to follow the parallel wiring plan.

I would also recommend the direct-to-battery inverter for having AC-power from the batteries, get the biggest wattage inverter that you can afford. 75-watt inverters will run a small laptop or cell-phone charger. 200-watt will run a large laptop or portable computer and small power tools (Dremel). 500-watt will run a blender, 1000-watt will run small hand power-tools (drills, impact driver, etc) and some house-hold entertainment systems (TV, stero, etc), 5000-watt will run large power-tools (wood saw, metal saw, circular saw) and some house-hold appliances (microwave, hair-dryer).

#14 ·
There is a great diagram of how to wire the batteries together in order to have the most "amp-hours" and keep the batteries at 12-volt output ..

From: Wiring 12 Volt Batteries in Parallel - Solar RV Panels

Parallel wiring:

On that page they also show series wiring of two 6-volt batteries to make 12-volt power - in your situation, you will want to follow the parallel wiring plan.

I would also recommend the direct-to-battery inverter for having AC-power from the batteries, get the biggest wattage inverter that you can afford. 75-watt inverters will run a small laptop or cell-phone charger. 200-watt will run a large laptop or portable computer and small power tools (Dremel). 500-watt will run a blender, 1000-watt will run small hand power-tools (drills, impact driver, etc) and some house-hold entertainment systems (TV, stero, etc), 5000-watt will run large power-tools (wood saw, metal saw, circular saw) and some house-hold appliances (microwave, hair-dryer).
Thanks Naekid,very helpful site.And it did'nt boot me off to boot.:beercheer:

So I guess we should keep these batteries and get battery cases for them.
:flower:

#15 ·
Running a fan or powering such a small inverter won't require both batteries. I'd propose you just use one and keep the 2nd in reserve. When the first battery gets low from usage, swap them. If you use both at the same time then get low voltage, you're out of commission until you re-charge both.

When you connect 2 batteries in parallel (as you would want here), if the batteries aren't matched, the weaker battery will draw from the stronger.

While doing your shopping, look at marine battery boxes. Put a battery in the box with the cables connected to the inverter and put the lid on. Then take the inverter and lay it on top of the lid. Strap them together using the provided strap and you have a nice little self-contained unit.
So you think it would be better to just keep up charge on one battery? This makes sense too.Especially until I get a solar panel,but will see what yall agree on now that I finally invested in the system.:flower:

#16 ·
if not I understand its not your fault I don't have access to most websites,but.....if yall could give me some figures on chargers,inverters and panels for my batteries or just one unless 2 is better.
Then I can save up for what I don't have and buy what I can afford for now.
How much for inverter to work off 2, 12 volts bat.s.How much for controller.
:wave:

#17 ·
If you are going to tie the batteries together in a parallel system, they essentially become "one battery" - you should charge them together, not individually.

A battery-charger for motorcycles called Battery Tender is a smart trickle-charger, it keeps the batteries topped up and ready for use. Because it is just a trickle-charger, you do not want it to be hooked to the batteries when the batteries are in use (powering equipment).

Boat-Tender (similar to the one for motorcycles) is designed for when the boat is near shore-power, a quick charge and then it automatically drops to trickle-charge to keep the batteries topped up.

If you want to go solar, small panels (under 13-watt) don't really require a charge-controller, but, as you get into higher wattage, you will need a controller that is capable of handling at least double the wattage of the panel ..

Prices vary from store-to-store and from net to brick-n-mortar businesses. I have seen charge controllers as cheap as $35, chargers as cheap as $10 ... etc .. but, you get what you pay for.

The inverter, again, go for the highest wattage that you could possibly afford. You can buy many inverters locally in camping stores, rv dealerships, etc ... online, you might get a better price ...

#18 ·
If you are going to tie the batteries together in a parallel system, they essentially become "one battery" - you should charge them together, not individually.

A battery-charger for motorcycles called Battery Tender is a smart trickle-charger, it keeps the batteries topped up and ready for use. Because it is just a trickle-charger, you do not want it to be hooked to the batteries when the batteries are in use (powering equipment).

Boat-Tender (similar to the one for motorcycles) is designed for when the boat is near shore-power, a quick charge and then it automatically drops to trickle-charge to keep the batteries topped up.

If you want to go solar, small panels (under 13-watt) don't really require a charge-controller, but, as you get into higher wattage, you will need a controller that is capable of handling at least double the wattage of the panel ..

Prices vary from store-to-store and from net to brick-n-mortar businesses. I have seen charge controllers as cheap as $35, chargers as cheap as $10 ... etc .. but, you get what you pay for.

The inverter, again, go for the highest wattage that you could possibly afford. You can buy many inverters locally in camping stores, rv dealerships, etc ... online, you might get a better price ...
Ok highest wattage inverter I can get.And at lest a 13 watt panel.Thanks Boss.:beercheer:

#20 ·
#21 ·
Ok highest wattage inverter I can get.And at lest a 13 watt panel.Thanks Boss.:beercheer:
Think of a solar-panel as being a source of water needing to fill up a container.

A panel under 13-watt is kind of like an eye-dropper - slowly putting water into a cup, it will fill it, but, it will take a long time.

A panel between 13-watt and 80-watt is kind of like a kitchen faucet, it will fill a sink in very short order.

A panel of 120-watt is getting closer to a bath-tub faucet, it can fill the bathtub in very short order.

Now, you wouldn't use the kitchen faucet to fill up an olympic-sized swimming pool, would you? No, because it would take beyond forever. Using a fire-hose to fill that swimming-pool would be much quicker.

You need to size your panel to your batteries and size your batteries to your power-requirements.

I have 3 panels at 13-watt each, they work, but, they don't work great. I have an 80-watt solar-panel, it works good, but, I find that I am wishing for just a little bit more, so, I am now looking at snagging a pair of 120-watt panels for a combined wattage of 240-watt of power generating capability.

Get the highest wattage solar-panel that you can afford and that will run your equipment directly without the battery in the middle. The battery is the bonus - make the solar panel do the work.

#22 ·
Think of a solar-panel as being a source of water needing to fill up a container.

A panel under 13-watt is kind of like an eye-dropper - slowly putting water into a cup, it will fill it, but, it will take a long time.

A panel between 13-watt and 80-watt is kind of like a kitchen faucet, it will fill a sink in very short order.

A panel of 120-watt is getting closer to a bath-tub faucet, it can fill the bathtub in very short order.

Now, you wouldn't use the kitchen faucet to fill up an olympic-sized swimming pool, would you? No, because it would take beyond forever. Using a fire-hose to fill that swimming-pool would be much quicker.

You need to size your panel to your batteries and size your batteries to your power-requirements.

I have 3 panels at 13-watt each, they work, but, they don't work great. I have an 80-watt solar-panel, it works good, but, I find that I am wishing for just a little bit more, so, I am now looking at snagging a pair of 120-watt panels for a combined wattage of 240-watt of power generating capability.

Get the highest wattage solar-panel that you can afford and that will run your equipment directly without the battery in the middle. The battery is the bonus - make the solar panel do the work.
Ok that was a good example:cool:.

Now I just need to get the battery boxs and all the other stuff.Lots to learn attention span is weaker,maybe its the heat,its like a steam room outside this week.
:wave:

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hey Meerkat, you really want to find a way to watch my videos.

They answer your questions *directly*

They show building a 12v portable power pack with all WalMart parts:

And the one with it hooked to the *right* solar panel:

If staying portable, your 12v battery is fine, just watch my video and put it in the right box (Group 24-31 box from WalMart)
Save the other battery in reserve.

If you were going to leave it in a house, go with two 6 volt golf cart batteries from Sams. Chain them together for 12 volt.
They also make dual 6v golf cart battery boxes, expensive, but safe.

So, like I said, the videos are there for you and everyone else to look at.
They answer *all*the questions people have been asking lately here.

Solar panel, a mount for it, charge controllers, inverters, AA batt chargers and Ryobi tool chargers run off solar, the works. All in one 15 minute video.

You're welcome ;)

#24 ·
#25 ·
Meerkat. Here is a thought for you. Just last week here in my area, I found 3 different people selling 3 different kinds of solar panels, and at a pretty fair price too. About $1.50 per watt. Why don't you look into Craigs List for your area and see what you can find ? craigslist: san antonio classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Thanks Nadja.I go the battery boxes today at W-Mart.I got them for 13 each.Some nice ones were like 50,butI don't think I need them,do I?

#26 ·
Are these the right batteries for the right price? Or could I have done better? If so I can take them back if I don't wait too long.

Also the battery boxes are too small so I have to take them back.Should I check into the battery power pack boxes ,I think they have built in inverters?

I only get 30 minutes online at library and theres usually a line,so I need to have a good idea before I go.This webtv dialup is not good for much,especially shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.