I am very unaffected to be here...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by FreeNihilist, Jan 28, 2011.

1. FreeNihilist

FreeNihilist Well-Known Member

I am very unaffected to be here. (All jokes aside.)

I am a lifelong woodsman and Outdoorsman from the Northeastern region of Wisconsin. I have experience with all forms of fishing and trapping and most forms of hunting. I am also quite skilled with herbal medicine, gardening, wildcrafting/foraging, and most primitive skills. I am decently skilled in organic chemistry. I am looking to learn more about canning, flintlock firearms and other areas of knowledge I could stand to learn more about.

I am a Moral/Ethical Nihilist as well as an Existential Nihilist as far as my personal views go. You have been warned in advance. lol

I grew up and spent most of my life in the woods, on the lakes and streams and on the farm but now currently reside on the edge of a Metro halfway between farmland and city.

I'm looking to come up with new knowledge and ideas that I can apply to my situation.

2. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Welcome Aboard!:wave: Unfortunately, I live in the heart of town.:(

3. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Had to look up Existential Nihilist.
    :welcome:

4. FreeNihilist

Sorry about that. I suppose I should clarify that to all future readers.

Existential Nihilism is the belief that life has no innate meaning or value. Existential Nihilism posits that a single individual or even the entire human species is insignificant, without purpose and unlikely to change in the totality of existence. Essentially nothing we do really matters in the long run, in the grand scheme of things.

Moral Nihilism or Ethical Nihilism is the belief that all moral claims are false. Moral Nihilists believe that morality does not exist as something inherent to objective reality, therefore no action is preferable to another inherently.

All are equally preferable and neither has any inherent positive or negative weight. A Moral Nihilist would argue that all morality is simply artificial constructs of the human mind and does not exist beyond the individual mind the morality was created in.

I am delightfully odd and quite philosophical. Even if my philosophies are very, very off the beaten path, so to speak.

5. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Hmmm. This is the first intro that I didn't feel like responding with a cheery welcome.

After reading some of your other posts, I'll hold that "welcome" a while. This is a nice forum and we prefer not to have people being critical of others. You jumped in with some pretty mouthy stuff on some of the threads today.

:dunno:

6. FreeNihilist

I must respectfully disagree. I merely was honest that I found an idea relayed to me by others IRL to be unintelligent given the options. We all have opinions and all find one thing or another to intelligent or unintelligent. I was not critical of anyone here nor did I become mouthy at any point. I also politely apologized for ruffling any feathers unintentionally. You have the right to dislike me but I feel that I should present the facts here.

I feel it is quite rude to take a personal dislike in a single thread and drag it into a welcome thread or other threads to color people's opinions. My post is quite visible and people will think what they will of it. No two people will agree. Some will find it rude, others honest and others neither of the two. It is all personal opinion or bias. Again it was not intended to be rude, critical or mean in any way shape or form but simply my honest opinion of a situation I posed myself about my experiences and discussions with people offline.

7. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

"Moral nihilism (also known as ethical nihilism or amoralism), is the meta-ethical view that nothing is moral or immoral. For example, a moral nihilist would say that killing someone, for whatever reason, is neither inherently right nor inherently wrong. Morality may simply be a kind of make-believe, a complex set of rules and recommendations that represents nothing real and is seen as a human creation[1] p. 292"

Moral nihilism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, "...nothing is moral or immoral..." So killing another human being for any reason is cannot be considered wrong? What about child molesting, stealing, cruelty to animals, ad infinitum?

8. FreeNihilist

Inherently nothing has any connotation or bearing or inherent value. The money in your wallet is simply paper and nothing more. It merely has value because your government has decided it does until it no longer does. Voltaire once said, "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value... zero."

Nothing is INHERENTLY moral or immoral. If we all held the same morals, there would be no crime or at the very least a whole lot less. Morals are subjective to the person holding the moral view. Is killing wrong? Some will argue never under any circumstance is it acceptable. Some hold the view that some types of killing are acceptable, such as capital punishment, self defense and so on. Yet others find that nothing prevents them morally from freely killing and find it acceptable. Now who's stance is correct morally? The answer depends on who you ask. This proves beyond a doubt that morals have no inherent value and that morals are created by individuals and exist in their mind.

Some people argue keeping animals as pets is cruelty, some argue euthanizing animals is cruel and so on. One could present endless examples of morality and its ambiguity.

I have morals but I do not impose them on others and accept that others have different morals than mine and nothing in all the time and existence on earth will ever change that.

Criminals always find personal moral justification in their own minds for their crimes.

As soon as the chips are down however, people who say they have certain morals will drop them very quickly. Hurricane Katrina was a well documented example.

Now if you are asking me personally what my morals are, I would be more than glad to share my views and morality.

9. FreeNihilist

I wrote a long post but it didnt post for some reason so I must now present the very shortened version.

The summary is that nothing is inherently right or wrong. Is it wrong to steal? Most people immediately would answer yes. But morality is very ambiguous. Now if I ask is it wrong to steal to survive and avoid dying? Most would have difficulty answering or say no. This contradicts the first question entirely. Morals exist purely in the mind of individuals and criminals justify their actions in their own minds or else they wouldnt commit them. It is psychologically impossible.

Is it wrong to kill? Some would say all killing is wrong even animals. Some say it is acceptable to execute humans for crimes and certain reasons such as self defense, etc. Others like serial killers justify morally, killing anyone that fits their moral view of what is acceptable to kill for.

The shortest answer to your question is, it depends on who you ask.

Is it immoral to kill cows and eat beef? You might say no, but vegans, vegetarians and religious devotees of some groups in certain countries would see you as a murderous, evil being.

If a fox steals a chicken is it evil? The farmer says, yes. The fox would say no as it is a fox and it is what foxes do.

Moral Nihilism is not a lack of morality as it is often misunderstood to be but an acceptance that morality is ambiguous and there are no right answer as morality is not an inherent thing but rather a programmed trait by society. I accept others morals are not identical to mine even if I do not agree with it personally. Nor do I try to impose my morality on others. It is pointless as my morals are a construct of my mind as others are of others minds.

10. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Well me being me and not you..simply because your so busy being you that I can't take time to... I find your belief to be..."your's " !! thank god or not depending on if in your belief structure has room for a god.. or the space to have one since your ego takes all the room...

Well chit I can't play the word games that you seem to have down pat so I 'll just say that I see nothing here that will add to the site as far as prepping.. not to say that later you may actually have something to say besides babbling bullchit.. OPPS sorry that was me being me... really dude we gotta stop smoking these crayolas ...

All joking ( or was it ? ) aside.. nobody cares what you believe, but rather can you offer some good knowledge in a word form that us common folk can understand?... I hope so.. god ( yea him again) knows we need all the help we can get... but then again why would you prep when you don't think anything ... nothing matters... nothing is real.. therefore it can't happen because you don't believe in it... whatever it is...

I'll pass..

11. FreeNihilist

Thats a huge gross misunderstanding of my beliefs. Im not attacking anyone else's philosophical/religious beliefs and I would prefer no one attack mine. That seems fair enough. I have kindly explain my beliefs and you are free to disagree but you're not being very kind at all.

If no one cares about beliefs, why is god mentioned? Honest question.

I have a natural tendency to use uncommon words. For many reasons. You dont know me so, please stop judging me. Fair enough?

So far you've implied Im egotistical, playing word games, babbling, accusing it all of being a joke, and calling my philosophy absurd (between the lines) among other things.

Quite frankly, it wasnt very kind.I have said and done nothing to you. I mayn't personally believe in God but thats my choice as a free american, but that doesnt mean, I have no morals or that Im savage or otherwise act in criminal context, rather I believe that morals are individualized concepts and constructs just as any other belief or notion is and that there is no universal morality. If you would like to debate philosophy, I would kindly do so in the appropriate forum or a PM but this just seems to be a blatant personal attack for no real reason. I have personally apologized to those who felt offended by words I posted that were not intended to be offensive.

Regardless of my beliefs, I have not treated you as you have just treated me nor would I ever.

12. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Wow ... what an intro ... ;) I like honest ...

I like PamsPride had to do a search on Existential Nihilist... (I don't get out much :D) and to each their own ... (unless it comes to ... well you know)

But I have to agree with you on the Plantain ointment ...

So... Hello & Welcome! (Just so you know the word 'stupid' does not go over here ... very well.;)

13. FreeNihilist

(Joke) Yes Existential Nihilism is a very small movement, even we believe we don't exist! (not true of course but humorous) lol

Thanks for the warning. But it may have come a tad late as Ive stepped in it already so to speak. lol

14. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm reminded of the scene from The Neverending Story with Morla The Ancient One (the giant turtle)

"We don't even care whether or not we care" :lolsmash:

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

but we all must learn. lol ;)

16. FreeNihilist

:lolsmash:

I hadnt thought of the correlation until you mentioned it. Its kind of funny to think of Morla that way.

I grew up watching that movie since Ima late 20 something.

I did happen to think of the Nothing and Gmork but for some reason Morla just never crossed my mind.

17. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I would think that The Nothing is merely perceptible entropy and Gmork as a Paradoxical Nihilist whose dreams of 'never having existed' can only be accomplished IF The Nothing acts upon a model of space-time that is non-linear in its simultaneity :scratch (I think my brain just pooped :eek: )

18. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Ya know what? your right.. 100 % right.. and I was wrong... I think the problem here is that your way of speaking ( writing) has a way of appearing arrogant, in fact it reminds me of a friend of mine who has a PHD and I sometimes wanna grab him and shake the crap out of him to ake him say **** instead of deification.. , so I'll tell you I'm sorry and that I will try real hard to understand your very precise way of writing.. as for me I intend to keep on using words like "gonna".. yep..uh huh and screw the dim o craps..., you bear with my way and I'll do the same.. but really dude..try to liten up a but.. and talk with us not "TOO" us.. and we will be ok.. other wise you'll piss off the pope and get exorcised ..:D:D:D I crack me up...

19. FreeNihilist

:lolsmash:

In some ways all Nihilism is paradoxical...."the paradox of nihilism is the choice to continue one's own life while at the same time stating that it is not worth more than any other life" is one paradox in my case.

Another in Gmork's case is "that the absence of meaning seems to be some sort of meaning".

To quote Hegarty and Bornemark respectively.

20. FreeNihilist

There is no right and wrong. I must say this as a nihilist. :p So I can be something I technically don't believe in technically speaking. :lolsmash:

Ive heard that I talk to people and not with them before but I speak as I speak and cannot help to speak as I do. It is my natural form of speaking.

We all have our own words and methods of communication that come natural to us. Tolerance is the key to coexisting as peaceably as humanly possible.