I am an old fart how about you

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by bunkerbob, Jan 29, 2010.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Are you an old fart I am

Just found this again...

I'm passing this on as I did not want to be the only old fart receiving it. Actually, it's not a bad thing to be called, as you will see.

Old Farts are easy to spot at sporting events; during the playing of the National Anthem, Old Farts remove their caps and stand at attention and sing without embarrassment. They know the words and believe in them.

Old Farts remember World War II, Pearl Harbor, Guadalcanal , Normandy and Hitler. They remember the Atomic Age, the Korean War, The Cold War, the Jet Age and the Moon Landing. They remember the 50 plus Peacekeeping Missions from 1945 to 2005, not to mention Vietnam.

If you bump into an Old Fart on the pavement, he will apologize. If you pass an Old Fart on the street, he will nod or tip his cap to a lady. Old Farts trust strangers and are courteous to women.

Old Farts hold the door for the next person and always, when walking, make certain the lady is on the inside for protection (it also facilitates the drawing of the sword).

Old Farts get embarrassed if someone curses in front of women and children, and they don't like any filth or dirty language on TV or in movies.

Old Farts have moral courage and personal integrity. They seldom brag unless it's about their children or grandchildren.

It's the Old Farts who know our great country is protected, not by politician's, but by the young men and women in the military, serving their country.

This country needs Old Farts with their work ethic, sense of responsibility, pride in their country and decent values.

We need them now more than ever.

Thank God for Old Farts!

Pass this on to all the Old Farts you know and stand up, with me, to be counted.

I was taught to respect my elders and hope to be a fine example to all the people I meet...I'm happy you will do the same.

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Well, except for WWll and Korea that I wasn't around for, I guess this makes me an old fart too.
    My question would be; have we as old farts, taught the next generation the same values so that when they grow out of the "me" mentality of the teens and early twenties they will become old farts also. :dunno:

3. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I will be 50 this year and had alot of those values instilled in me, and none of them are bad or should be compromised. I don't remember WWII or Korea as I was not on the planet then so I must be a young old fart.

4. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

We do...by example!!!

5. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yep, we do. But are they absorbing it? :confused:
    I look around and sometimes have to wonder. :dunno:

6. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I'm young. There's no point in hiding it. Except for the remembering things I basically practice all that.

The on coming generation does not and will not do it. I am an exception but unfortunately in my experience this will be ending soon. Not enough of us were taught it, or we were taught it with competing messages. The only thing that I do is curse. Not a lot but enough. I slipped in front of my grandmother about a week and I was pretty sure she was going to hit me. She didn't because I was helping her move but you could see she wanted to.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

The younger set isn't totally worthless. I'm no kid-I'll be 34 in a couple weeks- but I know how to treat my elders, little kids, peers, and animals. I believe you get what you give. Like Dean, I may swear a bit much, but if that's the worst I do I think I'll be alright. I watch around my son and at 18 months, we are trying our best to teach him sharing and the difference between right and wrong.

8. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

I have hope in my son ...:D ... he is doing alright. He is 16 and soon will be 17 (dang I'm getting old):eek: My son knows the "values". He knows how to treat his elders, which is a start.:) He also knows that if he wants something he must work for it.

So .. I do see hope ...

9. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Hey Andi wait till that 1st grand baby rolls in and then there is kindergarden. I,am 52 and feel 2 days older than dirt. :D More than glad to be a member OLD FART FOR SURE. At 5 she lets me know i,am old, who woulda thought it was so great to be a pappaw. :D

10. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Oh, I have my first grandbaby, she is almost 3. I also have twin grandbabies on the way. (I have twin daughters that are 24) :D and I love being a memaw - :D

11. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess I'm a young/old fart. pushing 50 real hard. Don't remember WW2 or korea but sure do remember how much things have change in almost 5 decades. I unfortionatly/fortunately I see it both ways. Due to an injury early in my army career was unable to father children so I missed out on that part. But I guess with world conditions now I'm glad I didn't. But the old fart "guide" is great. To me it is more however. It is common sense, common decency, respect for your fellow person.

12. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

It is the one thing i plan on being is a good grandparent. Congrats on all the grandbabies. Being an old fart rank's right up there in my book. This old world does seemed to have lost a lot of it's manner's, maybe i can help pass a few on. Setting a good example has been something i have not been known for in my younger year,s, but when she got here. Thing's do change and sometime for the better. :D