Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting article that came my way today.

Growing up, my dad never was much of an "inside person." About the only time, he actually stayed in the house was Saturday mornings, when he would watch an old Western usually starring John Wayne. The message in those westerns was simple, there are good men and there are bad men. Ultimately, evil men are defeated by good men. My dad always taught me to aspire to be a good man. Stand up for those who couldn't stand up for themselves. Do the right thing, even if no one else would.

Right and wrong is always a topic that is sure to ignite spirited conversation. Some people believe in absolute right and wrong, some believe in gray areas, and some are in between. I feel like I am the latter. Some areas are black and white, and then there are some things that I have to be looked at objectively. Abortion for instance to me is a black and white issue, whereas immigration needs to be looked at.

As of late, we have seen that there are evil men (and women) driven by an ideology that demands the death of any who do not follow it. Totalitarianism is their goal. Some of the anti-Obama crowd would call him a totalitarian. While I do think him a tyrant, he is not a totalitarian. If he were, no objection to him would be allowed. Sure, he scorns anyone who disagrees with him, but he doesn't imprison or kill them. The type of governmental system that the Islamic terrorists that shot up San Bernadino are looking for is a total and complete submission to Islamic rule of law and its precepts. There is no room for "gray areas" in their view. There is no room for interpretation. Their rules, their laws, or death.

In the westerns that I watched growing up, we would have referred to them as the black hats. The bad guys always wore the black hats, whereas the good guys wore the white hats. I am, or at least I strive to be, a man who would wear a white hat. I believe in freedom. I believe in Jesus. His words guide my life. John 15:13 reads, "Greater love hath no man than this that a man lay down his life for his friends." Christ was talking about sacrificing Himself for the good of His disciples and ultimately the world.

So here is a confession based on my understanding of John 15:13. I am a Christian, and I have a gun. I am not careless with my firearm. I have all the paperwork and the appropriate licensing. I do not twirl my gun on my finger, nor point it carelessly. I keep my gun safe and so far, the only thing to feel its wrath are some paper targets, a few pumpkins, and a Folgers coffee can. Scoffers of my understanding will point to Matthew 26:52 where Jesus rebukes Peter for attacking one of the ones who would arrest Him. "Those who live by the sword will die by the sword." However, it seems to me that Jesus was simply blocking Peter at the moment from trying to intervene in God's will.

I am a husband and a father. Going home to my family is the best part of my day. I owe them a long life of support, teaching, and nurture. I also owe them protection. I have no desire to die in a firefight with someone who wishes me ill. However, my faith and upbringing would compel me to run towards the sound of danger. I will engage the enemy to protect the innocent. I will stand against evil, even if I am the only one to do so.

Current events have opened my eyes a little wider. They have me paying attention more to my surroundings. Some would call it paranoia while others call it common sense. Either way, vigilance is the order of the day. Some people value discourse and opposing views. Some, wish to enslave the whole world to their ideology.

While I am to turn the other cheek and pray for those who persecute me, I cannot imagine that Christ intended for us to offer ourselves up to be murdered by anyone who aims to impose an evil ideology on the entire world.

So here I am, a Christian with a gun. I desire to harm no one. I would never actively seek to shoot anyone. I don't want to go out in a blaze of glory. I want to grow old with my wife and watch my child grow up. I want to sip coffee with the old geezers at church.

My Savior said, however, that no greater love has a man than he would lay down his life for another. It is with a sacrificial love that I would place myself between an innocent and someone with evil intent. Whether it's a terrorist or a crazy white guy in a theater it is my belief that I am to do what I can to protect those around me.

However, the evil person that is trying to take my life needs to know: I am a Christian and I have a gun. My aim is true, and my conscience clear. I will not hesitate to defend myself should I deem it necessary. My Savior has already defeated death, so I have nothing to fear. What about you?
http://onemilliondads.com/teachings...stian-i-have-a-firearm/#.V16_xHSMEfc.facebook

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
The Preacher

The Preacher in our Church asked how many members of the congregation were armed and seventeen men held up their hands.

No one has ever seen a weapon and no one has ever had to pull one but it is nice to know that we are not soft targets.

The local Sheriff's Dept. is currently training all interested members and we have a plan of action to deal with a threat or an active shooter.

Seven of the men who held up their hands are current LE's or retired LE's

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Pastor runs a shooting league made up entirely of non-LEO members of our congregation. They compete against the Baptist church, a Mormon church, and a few other local churches. Along with the 4 LEO's (and 2 former LEO's) that go to my church I imagine there at least 20-25 guns in church on Sunday. Including a S&W Shield carried IWB on my Pastor. We also have a volunteer "sentinel" who sits in the lobby during each service and another who sits outside of the child care / Sunday school area just to keep an eye on things.

·
Texan
446 Posts
I have been told I am the only female concealed at my church. Three other men are. I am at the front on the organ, so I am constantly scanning the doors between songs. On the Sunday's I am Methodist on the piano, I think only one man carries and he sits in the choir. It took me a long time to start to carry at church. I hope I never have to use it!

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
My Pastor runs a shooting league made up entirely of non-LEO members of our congregation. They compete against the Baptist church, a Mormon church, and a few other local churches. Along with the 4 LEO's (and 2 former LEO's) that go to my church I imagine there at least 20-25 guns in church on Sunday. Including a S&W Shield carried IWB on my Pastor. We also have a volunteer "sentinel" who sits in the lobby during each service and another who sits outside of the child care / Sunday school area just to keep an eye on things.
Even being agnostic, that would be my kind of church.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The church we've been attending for a few months has a security team, and I'm certain at least a few of those guys are armed. What's nice is I can't tell who these people are for sure..but they have men greeting people at the doors and patrolling the halls, all very low key. Very friendly greeters, who make a point to look each arrival in the eye and shake their hands. They also have a security team in place for evening or other midweek events. I feel safe there.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
In order to stop been a soft target one must be aware of the one coming to the door ,who is guarding the door and how well do you know the regular people coming in is there some king of security in place like a security metal detector wand and off course is everybody willing to go thru this check point?.

·
Not new, just older
791 Posts
This thread reminds me of an old joke most have probably heard.

A man was caught in a flood, the water was up to the porch and a sherrif's boat came by and told him to jump in. He replied "I believe that God will save me".

The water kept rising and the man was on the roof when a helicopter flew over and dropped a ladder. Once again the man replied "I believe that God will save me".

Soon the man was dog paddling around when a good samaritan in his fishing boat threw him a line and told him to grab a hold of it. The man said once more "I believe that God will save me".

Not long afterward, the man tired and drowned. He waited patiently in line for his audience with God. When his turn came, he asked God, "With my great faith in you, how come you did not save me?" God turned to one of his angels and had a book brought up. God said "According to this, we sent two boats and a helicopter."

God gave us the tools to protect ourselves and loved ones. Some of us will even protect those who are unable to protect themselves, even though doing so endangers our lives. I've got better questions to ask God when I finally meet him.

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
In order to stop been a soft target one must be aware of the one coming to the door ,who is guarding the door and how well do you know the regular people coming in is there some king of security in place like a security metal detector wand and off course is everybody willing to go thru this check point?.
All a metal detector would do is show who is carrying and probably give someone the idea that it IS a soft target. Even when I don't have my gun at church I have a knife.

·
Time Traveler
3,917 Posts

·
Internet Princess
2,809 Posts
Or a set of keys, or a metal pin in their leg, or...
I have a plate and a set of screws in my shoulder and it doesn't set off the metal detectors. It didn't even cause a hiccup when I went through airport security last year.

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I suppose my church could buy one of those machines the TSA uses to see people naked, but somehow I think the Lead Pastor would frown on that. Even in the name of public safety. I think we will stick with our Sentinel program. :D

·
Registered
676 Posts
I suppose my church could buy one of those machines the TSA uses to see people naked, but somehow I think the Lead Pastor would frown on that. Even in the name of public safety. I think we will stick with our Sentinel program. :D
Good idea..because what has been seen cannot be unseen:eyebulge:

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,674 Posts
Not to bomb the thread, but we pagans are ALWAYS armed, mainly with daggers, but other things too.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Crazy

A metal detector is not necessary . Crazy always shows in the eyes. :nuts:

·
Scavenger deluxe
6,674 Posts
Most spiritual folks can "feel" evil too. up to the god to warn the rest.

·
Banned
3,375 Posts
That`s the problem, metal detectors or handheld security wands work, if I know that a good security is in place I doubt it very much I would make it a target I would pick a unsecured place, the front door, main gate, is the focal stopping point, the main objective of security, in the Orlando shooting the maniac walk in with a long gun and pistol after shooting it out with police, imagine a security door or a metal plated regular door activated with an electric device, this systems are ready available , some of the pawn shops and shooting ranges have them .A church is a place of worship a place for peace and rest I see no need for turning it into a fort but a well oriented congregation set on protecting each other could set standards of protection without looking to militaristic ,I would definitely love to worship there. Times are changing fast and we all need to think about security at home the supermarket and any other place we just happen to be is a new thing now days ,many years ago we didn’t have cell phones or laptops but now we do there is nothing wrong with a little security a little paying attention to details.

·
Survival and Handgun Podcaster
105 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

1 - 20 of 25 Posts