Hurricane Preparedness

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by TheXGrasshopper, May 29, 2011.

1. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

Hey guys..i'm new here and just wanted to share a video on Hurricane Preparedness that we put together over at NoMoreGrasshoppers.com. There are checklists for general hurricane prep, basic first aid items and pet needs during a disaster. Let me know if you have any questions or comments :) Thanks!

Hurricane Preparedness

Scott

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2011
  2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Nice video! Lots of good info. :2thumb:

Thanks for posting!

When it comes to a hurricane, I think a lot of people think it is just something that inpacks the coast. Which is not true ... When a hurricane hits land it can reach many inland states with rain, wind, flooding and tornado's.

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

That's a fact! Even up in northern Pa.
    I was just a pup in '72 but Agnus left quite an impression on me. Our street was turned into a 3' deep raging river. The cellar was filled and the water was lapping at the kitchen door but didn't quite make it over the threshold. A lot of others weren't as lucky.

4. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

I was 8 years old and lived in VA during Agnes! Same deal....flooded streets, no power. Gave me a respect for the forces of nature.

5. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Then there was that whopper back around the 2005 time frame. Ivan, maybe? I was working right in Pittsburgh helping to build a boiler house at one of Pitt University's buildings. My normal ride home was about an hour. The job site was almost flooded (on top of a hill-the rain just started swamping the building because it didn't have windows yet) It took 3 hours to get home and on my way home I heard what remains to this day the only "all call" I've ever heard on my fire hall pager. They basically said everyody just go to your stations. We ended up blocking flooded roads and cutting fallen trees until 2AM. It would have been over a hundred seperate calls but we just lumped it together as one big incident. And, like I said, this was in/around Pittsburgh, PA.

6. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

That's a great point guys! I may try to do a bit of research and post a blog about the impact a hurricane has on those further inland. :)

7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Look forward to reading it!

8. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

The path of the storm, after impact, is as important as coastal impact. I sent my elderly parents off to north Louisiana (I-20) during Katrina. Mostly going north, then west from the impact area, will keep you out of it, but always look at long range forecasts. High pressure controls their path, big time.

Have been thru a bunch of them. They don't get any easier.

Jimmy

9. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

Today is the FIRST day of Hurricane Season! Just wanted to remind everyone to check out the site/video on Hurricane Preparedness and start organizing your preps today!

Scott

10. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

I've been ready for a LONG time. :2thumb:

Living in Miami kinda makes you want to be prepared.

11. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

Born and raised on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Hurricanes were just a fact of life, and we respected that fact. Was there during Cammile the worst until Katrina. Some areas of the Gulf Coast were without power for months.

12. Jimmy24

Jimmy24 Member

Lived Gulfport/Orange Grove most of my life. Camille was a butte...

JGW

13. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

The earliest one I remember is Alicia in the Houston area. Went through Dolly in Brownsville...wasn't bad at all...but Alicia was pretty significant. I know most of us here are probably better prepared than most, but if you'd pass this along to anyone who might need a helping hand or a centralized place to find info. :)

14. stayingthegame

stayingthegame Well-Known Member

I joke that I live where Rita meet Katrina and Gustave meet Ivan. all of them passed thru our area, but only Gustave did any damage. top of my big maple tree and mall lost about 25% of it's roof.

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

16. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

17. paladinFL

paladinFL Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Hurricane Preperations

All you have to do is talk to any of us who lived in Florida the year of Four Hurricanes - we can tell you what it was like - got our collective A## kicked several ways to Sunday, and then some!!

18. TheXGrasshopper

TheXGrasshopper Member

What year was that? How did they affect you?

19. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Shoot, the tail end of Hurricane Ike blew through OHIO a few years ago - that's rather inland. ;) Nasty winds knocked out our power for a week. People went nuts trying to preserve everything in their freezers/fridges and figuring how to eat (fix meals) without power.

20. mrbean50

mrbean50 Member

good long term investment

buy a 5000+ watt generator set it up run it then put it away you NEVER know when you will need it bad thunder storms falling limbs hurricanes going where they shoud'nt i waited too long had to travel 60 miles get in line wait and finnaly a new truck load showed up saved everything we had frozen ( alot ) and was a hero to my neighbours they don't go bad good money spent mrbean50 ;)