Hurricane Harvey

Discussion in 'General Survival Discussion' started by Sentry18, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

What say you? Katrina all over again or no real reason for concern? I found the articles on Harvey vary greatly in their expectations for impending doom.

[​IMG]

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/08/2...major-hurricane-to-hit-texas-in-12-years.html

2. Flight1630

Flight1630 Junior Member

Stay safe all who are in the way.

I wonder if FEMA will do a better job this time around.

3. sewingcreations15

sewingcreations15 Hard working Aussie

Stay safe and best wishes to all in the path of hurricane Hervey.

4. Danil54

Danil54 Well-Known Member

We may just get outer bands or we may be facing a category 1 or tropical depression. Who knows but are stocked up and ready either way. In my area expected rains between 10-20 inches depending. Not concerned about our house flooding, but am for the goat pastures. I am closing the middle one and containing them to the pasture in front of the house. After work this morning, sanitized the goat barn, stocked up their mineral block and loose minerals and moved in a water trough. My babies don't like to get wet.. . i'm afraid they would die of dehydration if i didn't! :) Last night we filled all gas tanks and picked up another 2400 lbs of feed. That and the hay will be plenty for the critters. I am doing the last of the wash now and going ahead and cooking the next few days of meals to have on hand. We have a house generator and also a well, but I like to preplan and probably do overkill, but we did have to rough it during both Rita and Like. Lots of BBQ'd meals along with meals canned up. Had a generator for the freezers so didn't loose any of those. Heavy rains have already started here and the was nds have picked up.

5. terri9630

terri9630 Internet Princess

I grew up in the "cone" for this storm. The biggest dangers will be flooding and tornadoes. There are a lot of rivers and low lying areas in the path. I was in Falfurrias in 2005 I think it was when the storm went south of us and there was FEET of standing water. Over the pastures, highways buildings.... I saw a farmer drive his tractor up the road with his family in the bucket looking for somewhere dry.

6. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

There will very likely be millions of dollars of damage. It will be yet another drain on our economy and add more debt.

7. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I heard Sean Hannity interview some weather guy. He expects it to go back out to the gulf. Then hit SW Louisiana and New Orleans.

Let me guess: the crooked Democrat politicians there who stole the money the first time meant for the levees stole it again after Katrina and we'll see the same events unfold there.

If this happens you'll have to wonder if God is punishing New Orleans for its sins.

8. Sentry18

If God worked that way Washington DC would have been destroyed decades ago and California would be at the bottom of the ocean.

9. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

I just heard that this Storm may become a Cat. 4 before it hits Land. If you live in the path of this Storm, it's time to bug out.

10. Danil54

A mayor in Rockport told people not bugging out to go ahead and write your name and ss# on your arm to help identify bodies. . . thought that was a little extreme. But when hurricane Ike hit Boliver lots of people did loss their life and it was hard to figure out who was who. Had a lady who stayed that called her husband saying she knew she made the wrong decision and she wouldn't be making it. They finally found her naked body miles away from where their beach cabin once stood. Sad story. The article about the mayor was on abcnews.go.com. Sorry I don't know how to copy a link to place on here but this is the headline . . . "Mayor tells those not evacuating for hurricane to put Social Security numbers on arm"

11. RedBeard

RedBeard Guest

Wow! I wish you guys luck!

12. Sentry18

On a related humorous note:

[​IMG]

13. weedygarden

weedygarden Well-Known Member

How many times have we seen one of these coming? I heard on the news about people going to the stores and buying water, food and more.

Me, I would have left a few days ago. I remember when Hurricane Rita hit Houston. Cars were in gridlock heading out, all too late. Not everyone is able to leave early, and not everyone can take vacation time at a moment's notice, but some people can. I would load up and head out north, as far as necessary to get out of the path of the storm.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  14. Danil54

Harvey is stalled out at a 4 now. I am down on the east coast from Corpus Christi on the other side of Galveston, but we are watching closely. We are expecting the flooding and tornadoes. If it floods too bad I am moving my goats to the back porch and asking hunny forgiveness later on. . . I am sure we can work something out ;).

15. DrPrepper

DrPrepper Supporting Member

My son and d-i-l are in New Braunfels. He says the stores around them are stripped and people in their area are starting to panic already even though the storm hasn't hit yet.
    :eek:vract:

He assures me they are ready- bathtubs filled, fresh batteries in the flashlights, and adequate food for them (and my grandpuppies) to get through the storm and the expected power outages.

16. phideaux

phideaux Dogs breath

Hope all our good friends here on PS stay safe.

Jim

17. jimLE

jimLE Member

well danil..you n them goats should of come here..on account i wouldn't of had to mow the yard yesterday..lol

18. havasu

havasu Just a family friend

Anyone from the area know if Belton (Temple Area) will be in harm? My daughter and grandson just moved there and I'll be honest with ya, I'm a bit nutted up.

19. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

We didn't have a hurricane today but I did see a few fluffy clouds float past.

20. bugoutbob

bugoutbob Work in progress

Can't seem to quote here on the app but people were talking about having SSN attached to them in case. The standard drill here during forest fire season is for the police to ask those who refuse to go the name of their dentists. After a fire dental records may be the only way to identify them.