Regional Hunting/backpacking for preparedness

Discussion in 'North Central USA' started by Killzone, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Killzone

Killzone Member

Hey all y'all! I'm new and will have to see how this all goes but want to get anyone that is interested in a hiking/backpacking/hunting trip this fall after the small game/archery deer season opens up in Minnesota. I am a volunteer for the Itasca Moraine Chapter section of the North Country scenic trail and will be using this experience this year to help prepare me for longer term minimalist backpack travel and survival. Would like to invite anyone that has the same interests and that can find their way to the Park Rapids area. I will be utilizing the North country trail east of Itasca state park into the Paul Bunyan state forest.

2. tmttactical

tmttactical Supporting Member

Very well stated Admiral. Very gracious and clearly worded.

3. Killzone

Killzone Member

Lol. I guess you may be right. This is an every year event I plan for my local friends and I. And just so everyone knows I sleep alone in my one person tent.

4. Pessimistic2

Pessimistic2 Watching the world self-destruct!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

I think, personal opinion only, that not many are into the backpack bug-out thing. You're talking REALLY, REALLY "primitive" there! I don't know about anyone else, but for me, BOBs are just to get me from "here to there!" :dunno:

5. Killzone

Killzone Member

Thanks for the welcomes. I like to hunt/camp/hike/canoe or anything in the outdoors. I wouldn't expect a big turn out. I will be out there. Just inviting "those" that are into that type of thing also. To some extent one should have an open mind and be prepared on all levels just in case. And of coarse the exercise, mental preparedness, and gear testing for an upcoming backpack elk hunt in the mountains is a good enough reason for me in itself otherwise.

6. Pessimistic2

Pessimistic2 Watching the world self-destruct!

Gear testing is a "must." Some of the less expensive gear that advertisers SAY is as good as the pricey gear ISN'T.....and in a SHTF situation, that's a bit late to FIND OUT ya shoulda got the higher price gear to begin with! Some of that stuff is real CRAP! That being said, yeah, there are some things available at a reasonable price that work just fine. Looking at the INDEPENDENT "product reviews" is something I try to do before I buy any kind of SHTF gear. :beercheer:

7. Killzone

Killzone Member

Thanks for the advise! My goal is to get down to 40 lb pack weight. First trip out was three years ago and I had 80 pounds on my back. That was too much. I was down to 50 as of last year.

8. SewingMachine

SewingMachine scum and villainy

I'm in Minnesota frequently...

I will look up the forest, and trail.

Then, depending on work (could you be more specific as to the date?) I would be up for it. I could do one man tent, or hammock (it's a pretty serious hammock, no worries about weather).

My pack weight without food or water is under 25 pounds! I am out on multi day trips here every month. Super curious to see what you have, and how my gear works out in a different environment!

9. SewingMachine

Ok.

Your 3 hours away. That's doable.

Let me know the approx. dates, and we can start talking gear selection. I will set it up at work. I have the entire winter off, so if you get a hankerin' to leg plow some snow, and get cold and desperate, let me know!

SewingMachine Sends.

10. Killzone

Killzone Member

I will have to get back on the dates to you. I believe opener is the second weekend in september.

11. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Minnesota is beautiful. I go up to Leech Lake from time to time. Its a hike for me from GA though. Wont be able to make the trip but would love to. I take multiple day backpack trips as frequently as possible. It would be hard to spend more than a few days without more than 40 lbs. Any long term out of a backpack plan is gonna be heavy. It would be pretty cool to set up hiking trips in different regions with people on the forum. Good way to test gear in different environments and meet good folks.

12. SewingMachine

Wait a second...

Are you going to prepare for a hunt? Or are you hunting an elk...and looking for help packing it out lol?

13. Killzone

Killzone Member

When I think I am ready I will take that elk trip. Kids keep me pretty busy these days.

14. Killzone

Killzone Member

S.M. Yeah, i haven't decided what i will be hunting on our trip. Last year I brought my bow and hunted deer but years past I've just brought my shotgun or my .22.

15. SewingMachine

Good to hear. I have a frame pack with a shelf made to carry odd shapes, it's pretty much just for hunting, but I will be bringing my light pack and not hunting, obviously. If you decide to take a shot, no worries, I will sit still and be quiet. My Father raised me right, lol.

I will do some research on the trail section you are looking at. I have some pack rods I could bring that are under 2 pounds... if there is water I might be tempted to try for a fish. It's Minnesota I'm guessing there will be water.

I picked up some new boots, and I talked to the wife, and work.

Should be good to go.

I may be going out with a local guy (Dont really know him either) to see what we can do about getting his pack weight down. He says he is lugging around 50 pounds for a three day trip, that's what I carry for a canoe trip - including a 12 pack and dog food.

I will make sure I am extremely ready, so there are no stupid surprises at the trail head.