Prepared Society Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want one of these. The one thing I think that would be very important would be that you can't break previously unplowed land with this.

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
Sorry but I see nothing of value there.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I think the design is promising but most likely you're too limited by the strength and endurance of the bike rider.

If it was geared lower you could plow through unplowed ground. If the tires spin you could go with metal tires that dig in.

Still, if your total farmland is the size of a football field it's probably doable. Work like that is done best by someone who has a high ratio of strength to weight. Like a teenage boy.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I can see where it would be good for weed control, sure beats a hoe

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I can see where the leg power concept is really a good idea, much easier on the heart. the machine is too "open source" for me, being able to slap something together with a hacksaw and drill, might mean quick prototypes, but the true functional design gets really crude.

human powered flight studies that I recall say a human can sustain 0.07 hp, so efficiency is key in this type of project.

If the main frame was built from recycled bicycle frames, joined together the weight savings would be huge.

mulch would probably be more energy efficient though, but the perseverance of the builder has to be admired.

·
I sold my soul to the internet
2,121 Posts
For large gardens it is better then a push plow, but I went to raised beds & mulched to keep the water in & the weeds out.
But for corn & beans in long rows this would work after the SHTF.
If you get one, use a gas powered machine to cut new land & ready it for a year around garden, then keep it tilled & loose to grow in.
Bet it would be fun to make, a shop: welder, metal saw & a small bender & you have the tractor of your dreams.
After the gas is gone a mule or horse will be worth gold, they cost a lot to feed now.

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
human powered flight studies that I recall say a human can sustain 0.07 hp, so efficiency is key in this type of project.
I'd really have to see it work in person before I buy into the concept.

He's going WAY too fast......
WAY to easily.....
for me to believe much "actual work" is being done.

REAL cultivation requires more (deeper) tillage to dig out weed roots, and more "work input" to be effective than what I see happening in this video.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Linc, I totally agree, all the machine in the videos is doing is dust mulching
But there is potential, if there is only human power available.

Most non main stream power "alternative" fuel systems need the engine to run for a couple of hours to make the effort pay back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts