Human Nature On Display

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Canadian, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

In Ontario all booze can only be bought from the LCBO. The government workers at the LCBO threatened to go on strike last night on the news.

I was just at the mall getting some office supplies and I went past the LCBO store and just had to go in. The place was mobbed with people. This is at lunchtime on a Tuesday.

At this time of day early in the week the only people in there are senior citizens and teenagers. Today both cash registers were lined up to the back of the store. People normally shop with baskets. Everyone was using shopping carts.

The store was still pretty well stocked but this is just day one. The place looked like it was going to be cleaned out by this evening. Just shows how predictable human behavior is.

It also shows how the hoarding instinct could easily lead to the looting instinct.

2. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Reminds me of the start of the ammo shortage..... :eek:

3. Canadian

I think real shortages of important stuff like food and fuel are not far off. Seeing how people react to a simple strike at the LCBO is kinda scary.

4. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

It might be time to road-trip to the next province over and stock-up there ... ;)

5. Canadian

I hear Alberta is the only place in Canada where you can buy bottles of Everclear.

6. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

Really? Is that new? I think you can at least get generic "Grain Alcohol" at about 192 proof in BC. (At least as of a couple years ago.... :D)

7. NaeKid

I will have to take a peak and see if I can find it .. haven't ever really looked. Want me to send you a few bottles if I can find it? :D

I am more a JackDaniels, Jägermeister, Jose kind of guy

8. Canadian

Thanks for offering to send it but I'll pass for now. I've been curious to try it but I'm willing to wait until I travel to Alberta to try some. I'm not a big drinker. I can go for years without having a drink.

This year I have been drinking a bit more. Mostly vodka or rye. I used to drink vodka many years ago with some Russian ex KGB and Spetsnaz operatives. Those guys can really drink.

The liquor store today is almost cleaned out. They're completely out of several types of booze. Quite scary.

[​IMG]

The LCBO sold 60 Million dollars worth of booze in one day! Now they say they won't even go on strike.

News article below. That's the biggest LCBO in the province and the shelves are empty.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/656292

Imagine if there was a food shortage. All the grocery stores in Ontario could be stripped clean in one day.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  9. NaeKid

I can imagine something like that happening. I have heard that the all the stores and all the warehouses around Calgary would be stripped completely bare within 3 days if the trains stopped hauling food from around North America. All the 18-wheelers hauling food wouldn't be able to keep up with the food demand of a city this size (just over one-million) - I would hate to see what would happen in a city the size of Toronto ..

If ships stopped hauling food in from overseas and we relied only on what we have here - I would give it 'bout 3 months before the food riots would start.

10. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

I am not a drinker and have always riduculed those who would stockpile liquor for barter.

I apologize to all!

11. Canadian

Judging by the empty shelves at the LCBO I'd say stashing booze for barter is a pretty awesome idea. That store in the picture is a converted railway station that's filled to the rafters with booze. Even the back warehouse is empty.

People like their booze.

12. Expeditioner

Expeditioner Well-Known Member

I have a supply of the pint bottles for trade. Thank goodness I don't care much for the hard liquor otherwise it would be gone.

13. Smithy

Smithy Outdoorsman, Bladesmith

I'd give it somewhere between 3 hours and 3 days, personally. We're fickle down here about our grub.