Hulling Oats at Home

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by cybergranny, Mar 29, 2012.

1. cybergranny

cybergranny Well-Known Member

Not knowing chickens won't eat oats we figured we would salvage the purchase for ourselves. NOT. They have to be hulled. I found this article on how to do it at home http://www.ehow.com/how_5935440_process-oats-home.html Basically you bake them in the oven and then on a windy day throw them in the air. The hull will blow away and the grain land on the surface (sheet or what ever).

2. JustCliff

JustCliff Supporting Member

been thinking about oats lately. Such a good grain but a pain in the butt to take it from field to table. I would have thought by now the process would have gotten easier for small scale use.

3. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Do you know if it works? At times in the past I have experimented with oats but could never find a practical way to hull them.

I had heard that baking will do it and that using a grinder(with a few modifications) will work.

I have not heard of or tried it as a two step process with baking then using he grinder, though.

Guess Im gonna have to head back down to the feed store and pick up another bag of oats.

4. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

My solution is to order hulless oat seed and grow some without the hulls. I will know how that has turned out in the fall.

5. cybergranny

cybergranny Well-Known Member

No I don't. I was just looking for a way to salvage what we bought and thought I would post it here if there was anyone else looking for a solution.

6. boomer

boomer Well-Known Member

The chickens will eat them if they are sprouted. Or better yet if they get to grow 2-6" high. The cats like the grass stage as well.

7. Davarm

Davarm Texan

I considered the "hulless" or "naked" oats, if I could find a seed source with reasonable prices I may give it a try. Those high dollar seed prices pretty much put a damper on that idea for me.

My 1 acre back yard is almost all garden now but I still have a full 1 acre front yard left to do something with.:D

8. siletz

siletz Member

I found some hulless oat seeds at Turtle Tree Seeds and thought I'd try them this year. We'll see how it goes.

9. ContinualHarvest

ContinualHarvest Member

Sprout them evenly just until the arcospire is present then roast them! Malted grains... , now what can ya do with those? ;) :beercheer: