HUGE solar flareM2, S1 radiation storm AND a CME

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Centraltn, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

A METEOR SHOWER IN BROAD DAYLIGHT: The annual Arietid meteor shower peaks this week on June 7th and 8th. The Arietids are unusual because they are daytime meteors; the shower is most intense after sunrise. People who wake up early might notice a small number of Arietids during the dark hours before dawn. The real action, however, occurs in broad daylight. Tune into the meteor radar for echoes.

M-FLARE AND RADIATION STORM: This morning around 0641 UT, magnetic fields above sunspot complex 1226-1227 became unstable and erupted. The blast produced an M2-class solar flare, an S1-class radiation storm, and a massive CME. A recording of the blast from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory ranks as one of the most beautiful and dramatic movies of the SDO era.

June 2011 Aurora Gallery
    [Aurora alerts: text, voice] [previous Junes: 2010, 2008, 2001]

HAIR-RAISING SOLAR ACTIVITY: Over the past few days, amateur astronomers have recorded some of the most photogenic solar activity in years. Onlookers describe huge prominences of magnetized plasma rising above the stellar surface as "Unbelievable!"--"Hydrogen at its best"--"Massive and incredible!" This shot was simply hair-raising:

Alan Friedman took the picture from his backyard observatory in Buffalo, New York, on June 5th. "There are more to come," he promises. And why not? The show is still underway. Latest images from NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory reveal at least three regions of continued activity. Readers with solar telescopes are encouraged to train their optics on the limb of the sun.

2. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Are there areas where this will be more visible than in other parts of the country/world?

Often I read about metor showers and so forth, then deep in the article they'll mention some far-off place you have to be to see it!

3. vesper

vesper New Member

solar flare video

Here's a great video from an Amateur astronomer in England
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlLVao07lr4]YouTube - ‪The Dynamic Sun - giant prom erupts !‬‏[/ame]
    Shows the solar flare in the process.

Meteor showers are based on time of day, when we are faced into the fragment fields. Eclypses are visible in a more narrow geographical area. The earth turns around once every 24 hours, and the panorama of the sky moves past to bring a huge treasure of spectacle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Yeah, like Montana.

CentralTN: Where did that article come from? I'd like to read up on that kind of stuff some more.

5. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

All my solar news comes from "SpaceWeather.com"

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Montana...you mean to see this stuff? ((t's not the end of the earth but you can see it from here! lol) Hah, a few weeks ago they said the borealis would be great on a certain couple nights from one of these events, and I slept outside so I could watch for it. Never saw it, and we can usually see the northern lights quite well from here (almost in canada, NW corner of Montana)!

I hear they 'might' be good tomorrow night and possibly the night after. I'll be watching!

CentralTN, thanks for sharing this information with us. I like it.

7. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

I've never seen the Northern lights. That's one thing that on my bucket list, for sure.

8. lhalfcent

lhalfcent Supporting Member

here is a chart of the timeline of the solar storm of KP5 or moderate that is taking place.
    if you click on the symbols a pop up explanation box will appear.
    sounds like this solar event was pretty significant.
    Space Weather Warnings Currently in Effect

9. DJgang

DJgang I put SAs on IGNORE!

If any effects happen, it will be around 2pm central time...I just read somewhere...actually came here to post...:D

Minor effects on satellites and weak power grids....