Huge Solar Flare (or CME) This Past Week

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by neil-v1, Feb 19, 2011.

1. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

I was wondering if anyone heard any more news on the large solar flare / CME this past week? I heard that it was giving trouble in China with radio and communication problems but I never really heard too much about it.

Solar flares over the next couple years are something I myself am very worried about as far as being a possible trigger of total SHTF. With all the talk recently about the pole shifts causing protection problems for Earth during the coming active solar cycle, I believe we are gonna have some problems. I hope not, but I guess this is one example of why we prep.

Anyone heard anything? Thanks.

2. ajsmith

ajsmith Well-Known Member

I've only heard that the flair last Thursday was the largest in four years. That it was causing some "minor" problems in China. What I do know is for the last several days we we're have trouble keeping a good signal on our radios at work!..:dunno:

3. SunflowerGirl

SunflowerGirl Member

I think there were definitely some radio and tv reception issues caused by the flares this past week. But the main impact was that the MSM covered it for once and many people were informed for the first time of this very real danger.

Now the government and scientific organizations are finally making some statements that are a bit alarming:

Family Survival Center - News Bulletins

I wonder what people will make of it? I hope that it doesn't result in some scam by special interests to create regulations and budgets like what happened with global warming and the "green" movement.

4. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I agree Neil

I am also quite concerned about the next 2 yrs regarding solar flares. In '12 and '13 NASA has given some worrisome predictions on the intensity of the solar storms expected! I have been continously doing research on the damages to be expected and how to protect certain electronics.. like your car. WHile you won't be able to get fuel from pumps, most of us have a sizeable stash, I'm sure, and a truck that works and can haul your firewood after you've cut it- can be a mightily appreciated thing indeed!. Anyone know how to protect a modern day vehicle from such things? What about the computer brain of vehicles now a days? Diesel vehicles need any special protections?? :dunno:

5. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

wow, it's like you have the INSIDE TRACK on how our goobermint works :sssh: :nuts:

6. SaskDame

SaskDame Well-Known Member

A decade ago we could see daily arora. We live in a location with little light polution relative to most. And, we have made a point of looking for the arora every night for the past week, without sucess. As the arora are indicators of sun spot activity and there are none visible from here; I am questioning just how intense the current sun activity is.

7. Dixie

Dixie Well-Known Member

On AOL today

For some reason (operator error perhaps), I couldn't post the link but here is the article.

Scientists: A Solar Storm Could Have the Power of Katrina Feb 21, 2011 – 3:10 PM

Sharon Weinberger
    Contributor
    Worsening solar storms could shut down telecommunications, ground airline service and even lead to global blackouts, scientists and government officials warned in Washington, D.C.

People need to be aware of the dire consequences a massive solar storm could have on the global infrastructure, Helena Lindberg of the Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency said at a panel discussion on solar storms at the American Association for the Advancement of Science's annual meeting this weekend.

Scientists say we're entering a new solar cycle characterized by more intense and frequent solar storms."I'm not talking about days or weeks, but several months without electric power, blackouts, across large regions of Europe and the U.S.," she said.

Scientists have been warning for several years that the Earth is entering a new solar cycle characterized by more intense and frequent solar storms, where the sun releases large bursts of electrified gasses. Those storms can disrupt satellites, including the Global Positioning System; fry electronic devices; and even disrupt the electricity grid.

Though such variations in the sun's cycle are normal, the world is increasing reliant on electronic devices, which are particularly vulnerable to interruption during such solar storms.

Lindberg pointed to the effects of other natural disasters, such as the 2004 tsunami that hit South Asia and Hurricane Katrina in the United States in 2005. She warned that a massive solar storm could disrupt the flow of essential goods and services.

"To my mind, there are few emergencies today that require such a close cooperation across the Atlantic as that of the geomagnetic storm," Lindberg said.

In fact, increasing solar storms are already having an impact on Earth, said Jane Lubchenco, head of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, speaking at the same event. Lubchenco noted that some airlines were rerouted away from the poles last week to avoid the possibility of being affected by solar storms.

Unlike during previous solar cycles, the world now is particularly vulnerable to disruption, Lubchenco warned. "The last time we had a maximum in the solar cycle about 10 years ago, the world was a very different place," she said, noting the increase in airline traffic and the reliance on devices such as cell phones.

Many of the effects of space weather are similar to the impact that a man-made electromagnetic pulse, created by a nuclear explosion, could have on satellites and electronic devices. Those effects, however, would be localized, whereas a solar storm could affect the entire planet.

Sponsored LinksWhile telling the audience to "not panic," Stephan Lechner, director of the European Commission Joint Research Center, said the full breadth of the impact a massive solar storm could have on communications and services is not fully understood because it's not always clear how dependent specific industries such as telecommunications are on GPS.

But he said the goal should be to take measures now to ensure that there is no disruption, because if protective steps aren't taken, the communications and electronic infrastructure could be severely disrupted, he said.

John Beddington, the U.K. government's chief scientific adviser, said at the conference that the threat of solar storms was not yet on the British government's national risk register, which assesses possible serious emergencies, "but it should be."

The current solar cycle is expected to reach its peak in 2025.

8. BillM

BillM BillM

Increased gravitational pull

Sceintist's tell us that an increased gravitational pull on the sun's surface by the allignment of poles with the Milkyway Galixy in 2012, will increase the probability of solar flares.

9. Centraltn

Centraltn Well-Known Member

I recall reading about a solar flare that hit us about 10 yrs after the telegraph became a big thing. At that time, the solar flare burned the wires so badly that there were actually fires at many of the stations.

Not saying it will, but should it.. our electrical infrastructure could take 10 yrs to get back up in its entirety, maybe more. Several science teams have gone to our congress TWICE to attempt to get them to protect our grid. They know how to protect it but won't.. perhaps cost is the reason- I don't know, but thats just plain short sighted as well as neglectful. "if it isnt smacking me in the face I'm gonna ignore it" is not going to address the problem. It will cost FAR more to rebuild and repair than to prevent. :confused: I just cannot understand.. but then- it is gridlock central we are talking about here