Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have this debt card that i can use to buy med stuff.....im thinking about using it to buy a Sweet Med kit......a several hundred dollar purchase......i know i should prob call to verify.....Has anyone done this?

im about to go with the "easier to ask for forgivness rather then permission" route......prob not smart.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
CC, to the best of my knowledge, HSA regulations (IRS) allow individual OTC medical items through 2010. Better do it before the end of the year, because starting Jan 1, you'll need a doc's note to make it eligible.

In any event, it should only be an issue if you get audited. Worst case, they disallow it and you have to pay taxes on the $$$ amount and a penalty; but I'm not aware of any ineligibility of OTC meds/supplies for 2010.

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. But like horseman said, government regulations (Obamacare) will prohibit the purchase of OTC supplies after Jan. 1, so get them before then. I would imagine that you couldn't buy the container (bag, case) with an HSA, nor any food supply (if you store protein bars for example), but I imagine all your first aid and medicine supplies are fair game on your HSA debit. Let us know how you make out!

·
a dude
654 Posts
Just great...so when I eventually retire, because I don't used much sick leave (donate a lot though) I'll have a mass of sick leave that will be converted at a very reduced rate to a medical savings account, and then it'll likely be so restricted that I can't use it for anything of value.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Just great...so when I eventually retire, because I don't used much sick leave (donate a lot though) I'll have a mass of sick leave that will be converted at a very reduced rate to a medical savings account, and then it'll likely be so restricted that I can't use it for anything of value.
yep... that's why you should use all the sick time and 'personal' days & save the VACATION days for just before retirement (well, if you have rollover on them) the system (sociopolitical & economic) is being redesigned so that saving anything just means that you operate at a loss within the confines of 'the system'... The Matrix has YOU now :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Asking for forgiveness later is a bad idea when it comes to FSA because there is no forgiveness, they won't reimburse you for it. If, by some weird chance that your debit card allows the purchase to go through, when they ask for a receipt to verify the purchase, they will ask for the money back or suspend your account until you pay it back. Either the company that administers your account or your HR department should give you a very detailed list of what's covered and what's not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not completely accurate

government regulations (Obamacare) will prohibit the purchase of OTC supplies after Jan. 1,
This is inaccurate and incomplete. SOME OTC medications will require a Dr. Rx after 1/1/2011 IF you want to be reimbursed for them through your HSA but not all. Unless it is deemed medically necessary, food has never been considered covered/reimbursable. First aid kids (or the items that comprise them if bought separately) will not require a dr. rx. When in doubt ask the administrators of your plan and your company because they have the final say (unless you appeal, if you have that option).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts