Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its been near or over 100 every day the past couple of weeks. How's everyone garden doin in this heat wave in the mid-south and west?

We are hanging in with ours, having to water every 3 days. Still getting tomatoes, onions, canteloupe, peppers, and some corn looks readu to harvest. This week I planted dry beans(kidney, pinto and black beans), pumpkin and more cucumbers (first cukes already burnt up)

I'm planning to do succesion plantings of radish, lettuce, and spinach this fall and grow under a frame in cold weather...anyone with experience in that?

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Here we have been dealing with heat for past few months.Hottest spring in years even broke records.Plus a terrible drought until just recently we had no rain but plenty of fires.

We don't have plants in the field ,only in garden area.We water deep and if plants look too scorched we cover with shade clothe.s.Of course this is not practicle or possible in large areas.

Good luck,maybe somebody else will have an idea.

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Garden hasn’t gone into summer mode here… yet. We’ve been 3 weeks w/out rain at our place so deep watering every 4 days is a must. I expect everything to stop growing (summer mode) next week or the week after.

Up in NY I used a hot bed, never just a cold frame. I expect there are similarities and the big one would be being there to open/close it when needed. Now I see all the greenhouse sites have automatic openers based on fluid expansion. Would be a great option if they indeed do work.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
Up here in PA it's been hot and for the most part, no rain for the past few weeks so I've been watering. We did get rain a few days ago, and from it, I was pleased to see that the cucumbers started coming in. Filled (2) 5-gallon buckets last night. Pickling them tonight.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, folks for your input...I am encouraged by every harvest, however small, that we get, telling myself its more than what will be on many groceriy store shelves if SHTF!

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
Our garden is pitiful. We gave up on it after we harvested the onions & potatoes. We have tomato & pepper plants still somewhat producing but for the most part nothing. We're gearing up to plant a fall garden now.

·
234 Posts
My corn is dead. What the sun didn't burn, the ants blasted. Sun also burned peas out after initial harvest. Squash is going decent, as are chilis; tomatoes have stopped fruiting early as the flowers are getting scorched. Second batch of tomatoes is growing but may not fruit due to extreme recent heat. Alpine strawberries are struggling, but the native (tasteless) wilds are taking over my yard! Hopefully they are close enough genetically to hybridize; we shall see. Pintos are barely flowering. May put in some peas where the corn was (after a bit of soil amendment). On a really bitter note, all my blackberry canes got some sort of leaf-spot and never fruited. Also, so hot that bees are having a tough time, although I appear to have a plethora of yellow-jackets and wasps/hornets. Pollinators are so crucial dontcha know?

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Wonder if some of these crops are being afected by chem trails?:mad:.What is it they are spraying and why? Whats the need to dump chemicles on us?
Whatever it is it does'nt affect the weeds.
Shade works even for sun loving plants like tomatoes.
We put a new garden in next to house,where we have power for fans if needed.It has been lots of work because large trees were there.This should have been done years ago ut we had to cut down trees first.After the years of fire scairs we sold lumber ,pulp wooders got the trees.A few trees were left that still give shade off and on.Plus we put shade clothe on some plants.Put it high enough so heat does'nt build up under it.

·
803 Posts
Have to put the water to it everyday. We are in an "exceptional drought" area.

It's beyond dry.....:(

Jimmy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
finially got some measurable rain last night. Thank the good lord. We sat out in our screened patio and snaped green beans to the sound of rain on the metal roof. It was glorious.
amen to that!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shade works even for sun loving plants like tomatoes.
A few trees were left that still give shade off and on.Plus we put shade clothe on some plants.Put it high enough so heat does'nt build up under it.
Yes, this works...in fact we left a tree at the south end of our garden, about 20 feet from the end of the rows, for a shady spot to rest while working. It produces a bit of shade along that area of the garden, and the plants under that shade are holding up much betterthan the rest of the garden.

We also have several beds scattered around our yard (in fact have more garden beds than yard) some are in light shade and it seems to be working!

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Yes, this works...in fact we left a tree at the south end of our garden, about 20 feet from the end of the rows, for a shady spot to rest while working. It produces a bit of shade along that area of the garden, and the plants under that shade are holding up much betterthan the rest of the garden.

We also have several beds scattered around our yard (in fact have more garden beds than yard) some are in light shade and it seems to be working!
We had the hottest spring on record here,wild fires galore.It went from winter to mid summer in a no time,NO SPRING AT ALL !
I even covered the heat loving okra for awhile.

We are still in a drought but now the humidity is kicking in so it like a steam bath ourside.Sticks to you like glue.We get some rain but it dries right up.

Google"Regional Drought Monitor".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.