Michigan How's the UP for this stuff?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes USA' started by a_decent_criminal, Jul 15, 2017.

1. I live elsewhere currently. But I like that there are a lot of trees and not too many humans. Also I heard wolves. The land looks to be cheap for off-grid building.

So, what's the catch?

2. camo2460

camo2460 Supporting Member

Don't know if there is a catch, but before your question can be answered we have to know a little about your skill level and experience at off Grid living and your ability to survive. If you're the kind of Person who has watched a few Survival shows on T.V. and says "I could do that" you're going to have a very rough haul, if you even live. Parts of the U.P. are very remote and can be very harsh and unforgiving.

3. Pessimistic2

Pessimistic2 Watching the world self-destruct!

There are two catches, that I can think of:
    1. Land is not cheap.
    2. Unless you have the skills of Daniel Boone, and tools to work with, the wolves will be having lunch....with maybe left-overs for supper!

4. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

I was born and raised in the UP, Michigan's Upper Peninsula for those who don't know. It's actually lost population in the last few decades. The good thing about it is you're far from population centers. Pick Garden, Michigan for example. You're 156 miles from Green Bay. It's much further than that to any sizable city in the Lower Peninsula.

I'm not sure what the downside is. Yes, the economy isn't very good. Young people leave and old people come back after they retire. Much of the UP surrounded by either Lake Superior or Lake Michigan so it's cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter compared to areas of the same latitude further west. Some parts get a LOT of snow. Houghton gets over 200 inches of snow every year.

I'm told that the soil is just as good as in the Lower Peninsula but the growing season is shorter.

5. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Like all remote places you have to be successful at being largely self sufficient, independently wealthy, or have some type of work which allows you to live there and earn in an area without much of an economy. I think thats the only catch besides not minding the winters.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    BlueZ likes this.
  6. That's about how I figured it was.

I'm not going to say I'm Daniel Boone, but you know, Boy Scouts, grew up on a farm, etc. I'm getting better at making money on the internet, but it sounds like I'll need a dish for that.

7. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

Satellite internet is pretty terrible. If anyone wants to waste a little time reading good humor at other's expense, just read reviews on any of the satellite internet providers. Many of the reviews are very funny.
    There are many places in the USA that are fairly remote. A person has to research many things before making the big move. I just moved to one such spot and have not been here long enough to say if i made the correct choice yet. There are many pros and cons with each location in different states. I can only hope I made the right choice.

BlueZ likes this.
  8. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

My parents were from copper harbor area then moved south a bit. I think I have family still there I have never met. Both parents came from England in the early 1900s and when the depression hit half the family moved below the bridge and to Canada to work. My wife's older family is from Marquette. It is not easy , plow snow every 3-4 days cut wood. keep solar panels clear, buy gas for genset in winter , summer no sweat never need genset. . Flies gnats black fies deer flies ,bears wolfs, coyotes bob cats martin , fishers , etc. Hard to keep chickens alive and the growing season is short. I have an army retirement so we do ok. 15 mile to town and it takes me 14 or 15 minutes to get out of my driveway. If trees are down, longer. But it is quiet and the only issues for some are the small town State boys or the DNR, Sheriff is ok. Not much for local law, but the county and courts do want there money at times. Ambulance and fire are as good as they can be, It is a great place, don't need to be rich just have some sort of steady income. Lots of game animals around but not much of squirrels except the pesky red ones. Price per acre depends on where at 700 -1500 per acre. I paid 825 dollars an acre for 135 and it had a 2 bedroom ,inside toilet, well, tool shed(small). A year round trout stream on one side , blue berry bog. State land on 2 side and private land on 2. I'm the piker!! every one else has from 600 to 2000 acres , they don't come up often so I have it to ourselves most of the year. I can also see the lights on the cell tower about 7 miles away so QVC and INTERNET no problem and dish works good. I watch out for the others cabins and have the run of the place, call them if any problems. No electric, No phone lines, never will be, cell works good.

9. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Delta County is very liberal and so are the judges. Your unoccupied property probably isn't safe there. There was a case recently where a couple broke into a house. They stole a safe and a gun. Both felonies. She got only 30 days in jail.

BlueZ likes this.
  10. Bumpers1975

Bumpers1975 Active Member

Born and raised you there too and if your looking for work up there the construction industry is booming in Marquette right now. But like BillS said it's very liberal in that area with the University. Good luck.

BlueZ likes this.
  11. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

I have had zero problems, the area crooks are kinda lazy and I am way off the beaten path. Or it could be the sign on my porch. If you think what is in this cabin is worth your life! Keep in mind so do I. I do let in the area hunters in the gate, to retrieve the dogs when they hunt and I think they like the courtesy. And the cabin is farther off the road/gate so you can't see it. Or the empty wood Hand Grenade box I keep fire starter in.

12. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

PS I have been thinking about a cell cam put in so it would call my phone and send pics to my computer, The cost of the cam is still up there though.

13. capt.

capt. Well-Known Member

Got the camera and it works great Arlo pro works off cell phone sends e mail or will call, stores pic in cloud of who or what set it off. So far just critters /bear/rabbits/red squirrels also records sound. So far I like it, cost 5 bucks a mo to use but up front cost is high. If they steal the cam it will tell you were it is.