How's the stock level at your local retail stores?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Canadian, May 12, 2009.

1. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

I just went to Staples to buy some office supplies. I was looking at printers and they all had a thick layer of dust on them. Then I noticed that all the products on the shelf were spaced really far apart.

Then I took a step back and noticed the aisles were twice as wide as they used to be. It looks like they removed a whole lot of shelving and pushed the remaining shelfs far apart.

There were also empty sections of pegboard and products hung one or two deep. I used to run a retail store so I notice these things. I went into a big box electronics store. Same thing! The economy must be really hitting retail hard.

How are the stores in your area doing?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  2. Albertan

Albertan Member

I really haven't noticed any slow down here in the Edmonton area. Stores are still insanely busy. There's definitely been a slow down in construction and oilfield work - we have a lot more guys dropping off resumes here lately, but I haven't seen much affect on retail stores.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

everything appears to be fine... on the sales floors, in back?... <<shrugs>>

4. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

I still work at Wally World... it is still business as usual for the most part*, but they are trying to keep stock levels down a little bit and empty the back room. I think it is a fatal flaw that will come back to haunt them. All of the great retailers eventually falls, and I see a window open for others to rise to the top. :D

*No ammo is now "the usual"...

5. Albertan

Albertan Member

And to speak specifically about stock levels, I haven't noticed any change at all in my area - they seem to still always be out of the one thing I'm looking for, but have lots of other stuff. :mad:
    I'll try to pay more attention in the next little while though.

6. Canadian

Albertan - You're in a pretty well off province. Low sales taxes and the oil work. I hear that out west people are still doing okay but are just buying less toys. People are having a harder time selling ATV's, quads, motocross bikes, etc.

7. Viking

Viking Well-Known Member

I've talked to a salesman in the Grants Pass Wal-Mart about the empty spaces on the shelves (and not just the really empty spaces on the ammo shelves) and he said there are shortages on a lot of products. That was awhile back, now this Wal-Mart is in the process of upgrading and in that process the isles have gotten considerably wider. There seems to be a lot of horde buying in the food department, if you don't get to the store right after a shipment comes in you might not get certain types of bread, coffee, dairy, meats and etc. IMO I believe many suppliers are failing and it's not being reported. I look for increasing shortages as our US$ continues to be debased into nothingness, meanwhile the fools running this country still don't really understand what's happening and continue to shoot themselves and the citizens in the feet with new schemes to raise revenue in a time when the economy is falling from under our feet. I suppose that the people that wanted this leadership deserve to ride the train into the bottom of the canyon but I certainly don't want to be required to be forced to ride on that train just because some feel it's for the "Greater good of the nation." P.S. If ammo shows up for your gun when you happen to be in the store it feels like you have won the lottery!!

8. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I don't frequent Wally World, but have noticed Home Depot and Lowes have the stuff, but maybe only three of the same item instead of 12. We just had Minards open, they are giving the other building supply houses a real run for their money. Right now they are too big and busy for me to go in. Places that size are annoying. My brother did see 1 box of 9mm on the shelf at a local gun shop but left it behind, we already have enough. As for .223, I seem to arrive to late or to early, can't find it. There seems to be plenty of gas, but the price just went up .40/gal. the last 2 weeks. (greed) There seems to be plenty of space at the local resturants, not many people can afford to dine out right now. Yesterday for lunch I had a cheeseburger and fries with a soda at a local nonfranchised dive. The cost $9.00! I could of had a couple of double stacks at Micky D's for $2.00. Cedar Point opens this Saturday, al the local motels will be raising their room rated from $39.00/night to $200.00/night. This year I think they will have a hard time getting it.:mad:

9. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I only wish it was as good as the rest of Canada thinks. Looking through the local classifieds I see all kinds of "toys" and "necessities" forsale - equally. Anything that a person might owe money on (credit-card, bank-loan, etc) is going up for sale. I work two jobs. One at a metal fabrication shop where I do all the metal-design for our CNC machines. We have only the basic steel in the shop. Anything that isn't "standard" we are no longer storing, but, ordering as requested.

I also work as a bar-tender in a "high-class" restaraunt. Well - I used to work as a bar-tender. I am still on the pay-roll down to one or two days a month instead of my original 12 to 15 days a month. Not enough customers coming in to justify my time being there.

10. Canadian

I was at Home Depot last night. They reduced the number of shelves as well though not by as much as other stores I've been in. There's still a lot of building going on in Toronto. I had trouble finding the wall anchors I wanted. It looks like they chopped the shelf for those to half the normal size. Also a lot less lumber around.