Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...
1,799 Posts
:welcome: to the forums!

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Welcome! :wave:

Your Challenge sounds cool! :D

Dec. 21st - Winter solstice and the Full Cold Moon, will ba a candle day for me, then add a nice big bonfire. (will that count ? :D)

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome! :wave:

Your Challenge sounds cool! :D

Dec. 21st - Winter solstice and the Full Cold Moon, will ba a candle day for me, then add a nice big bonfire. (will that count ? :D)
A bonfire would work to fight the artic blast. Don't forget the hot spided cider

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
you all have fun with that, I'll be on Teh Internetz :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
I tried this with DW a while back. It did not go over then when it was warmer so I wouldn't expect a different response now.
Good Luck and enjoy the day.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
It was the idea that didn't go over.
I had read about someone, somewhere that shut off their main breaker at sundown on a Friday and didn't turn it back on until Sunday. I asked her if she would like to try it to see how we would fare. Her response was: If we lose the power we're prepared to deal with it. I'm not interested in creating an emergency.

I'm sure we would have found gaps that you don't know about till you're really in the situation but I let it go. Didn't seem like something to do battle about. :surrender:

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I had read about someone, somewhere that shut off their main breaker at sundown on a Friday and didn't turn it back on until Sunday. I asked her if she would like to try it to see how we would fare. Her response was: If we lose the power we're prepared to deal with it. I'm not interested in creating an emergency.

I'm sure we would have found gaps that you don't know about till you're really in the situation but I let it go. Didn't seem like something to do battle about. :surrender:
Chicken... I do it every day.:2thumb:

·
Registered
983 Posts
Our power bill this month was 107.85. Of this fule adjustment charge was 13.41 and we also have a debt adjustment charge of 4.07. What the heck is a debt adjustment charge?? We also had a service charge of 10.00. IMHO that is $27.48 of unneccesary charges. We have ordered a infared heater that will run on 110 current so maybe that will help. We turn our water heater off for all but 1 hour at nite to do dishes and get our showers. We unplug all TVs not in use as they use current even when off. All of our lights are the new energy savers.

·
134 Posts
challenge

I used to ice fish in upstate NY..that sort of follows your Challenge to a point at least..heated the shanty with a homemade wood stove that set up on legs...add in a little wood and a whole lot of Budwieser and a good time was had by all from what I can remember which isnt much after 5+ Buds...I would try it now here in TN at 15-17 degrees but my min pins shiver/shake like they are crapping razor blades if the temp falls down to 70 degrees...I worry more about the dogs than anything

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'll be sure to post a detailed After Action Report. Perhap you can let her read how it goes for us.

I'll tell ya that Mamma wasn't too thrilled with the idea at first, but she is on board after I explained some of the other entertainment options to her.:2thumb:

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Our power bill this month was 107.85. Of this fule adjustment charge was 13.41 and we also have a debt adjustment charge of 4.07. What the heck is a debt adjustment charge?? We also had a service charge of 10.00. IMHO that is $27.48 of unneccesary charges. We have ordered a infared heater that will run on 110 current so maybe that will help. We turn our water heater off for all but 1 hour at nite to do dishes and get our showers. We unplug all TVs not in use as they use current even when off. All of our lights are the new energy savers.
We just got our power bill and showed anothert significant drop. Amazing how much savings from a few simple measures like you mentioned. CFLs resulted in huge savings as well. I posted some other winter enegy tips on our blog so be sure to check those out as well.

We have dropped our overall energy consumption by 1/3 in the last year alone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.