Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a guestion?

How do you tell your new friends that you are a person they fear? In short a witch ... one that does pratice the craft ... :dunno:

For the past year we have be friends ... now that has moved to a more to the next notch ... doing things together ...

But for the most part religion has not played a part... till today when witchcraft came off some how ... Now the wife has a problem with "witch" no matter how it comes across. (I'm evil)

We did pass a few jokes her way ... but I'm not sure... She has a true hate for witchcraft...

I like the them and not knowing I'm a witch ... they like us... we have lots of things in common...and such ...

But how do you tell a "friend" you are the person they fear ...

I'm lost ... not sure what to do ... My heart tells me to tell the truth... but the lost of a friendship tells me different... and to wait till it comes up again ...

What to do ... is the question??????? :(

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Is there a way to bring the more gentle side of the craft into conversation? Something like the tactics a person would use to help someone accept other cultures, races, sexual preferences, etc., to make it less scary/evil? Anecdotes or tolerance-type talk, something showing that it's not all about hate or hurting people through witchcraft. Most people who fear it are probably very uninformed of what it's really about and what actually goes on. They see it as a voo-doo, hex-on-you, worship satan and cause pain and chaos type of thing.

If you decide to "come out", my recommendation is to do it in stages. Mention some mild part of involvement instead of laying out the whole thing. Even the Christians have a place they start in their conversations. Think about your friends and what you know about them, and see if there's a place in conversation to start taking the edge off their witch-a-phobia.

Good luck. It's tough, but hang in there. If they're friends worth having, they'll like you the way you are, though I know that seems trite and trivial with a real-life situation in front of you.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Wow that's a tough one. Typically people fear what they don't understand so, to back Sue up, try telling her in stages. Maybe you know someone who practices the craft and gives you herbal remedies that have helped you and could help this new friend, tell things about youself as "I have this friend who..." and see if they start to come around. It sounds like these are becoming good friends and if that's the case, maybe this is one thing you'll have to agree to disagree on. The challenge is bridging that first gap. I'd probably take it easy. When she sees your herbs and stuff around and how connected to nature you are it'll only make sense that your faith nature oriented to. This is tough but you'll do fine. Follow your heart.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She is very uninformed, heck even I would be scared of the person she has in mind. lol

I did toss a few hints her way, not all movies are true and sometimes a word gets a bad spin by people that don't understand.

We did have a good lol after it was said and I looked at my hubby ask him if I was an evil person? ;) So I guess we will see.

For now I think I'll let it ride and see which way it goes ...

Thanks Sue.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow that's a tough one. Typically people fear what they don't understand so, to back Sue up, try telling her in stages. Maybe you know someone who practices the craft and gives you herbal remedies that have helped you and could help this new friend, tell things about youself as "I have this friend who..." and see if they start to come around. It sounds like these are becoming good friends and if that's the case, maybe this is one thing you'll have to agree to disagree on. The challenge is bridging that first gap. I'd probably take it easy. When she sees your herbs and stuff around and how connected to nature you are it'll only make sense that your faith nature oriented to. This is tough but you'll do fine. Follow your heart.
Thanks Jason, And some good points. She does follow the moon signs and did have more than a fews questions about my herbs. That may be away for her to see the other side.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
One of my best friends was wiccan, she wore the jewlery. Myself, I was raised christian, and, I wore the jewlery. It didn't change how we felt about each other, in fact, she named me as the guardian of her three daughters if anything happened to her. When my friend passed away, I was devastated. The courts felt that her daughters needed to be with their fathers (three different fathers) - I tried to keep the girls together, but, failed.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter the religion if the people are true friends. If the friendship isn't based on something solid, anything that can drive a wedge between the friends, will drive a wedge through.

If you feel that the friendship is worth keeping, find something solid to build the friendship on - otherwise - cut your losses, remember the good times and find new friends ...

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks NaeKid, I know what you speak of with a true friends and I'm sorry for the passing of your friend. Then with the courts and her daughters, I sure it was heart breaking.

We have a lot in common, love of the land, critters and so much more. So I see if something solid can come of that ...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Andi, I wonder if, since you've already "planted the seed", perhaps if you let the subject slide for a bit and discuss/interact on other topics to show her that you are just like everyone else.

If all goes well, she'll bring the subject up when she's comfortable with it.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's my plan, just let it ride and see where it goes.

Thanks for all the insight ... It helps! :wave:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
That's what we're all here for...to help and encourage each other, in addition to the learning ans asking questions!

Love ya, Andi! :)

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
Most people have a fear of things that they don't understand, and the title witch has been bent way out of reality, maybe just different terms and slowly adding information. There were good witches in wizzard of oz (there are good and bad everything, depending on perspective)
How ever you do it, it will be stressfull for you , remember to take care of your self

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Tirediron ... but it is not looking good.

Things have changed, I feel it. :(

I guess the test will be next weekend, when we have a fishing trip planned. If the wife makes it ... it will be a surprise to me...

Time will tell....but things are differnt now .. (maybe to much of a hint :eek:)

But the chips will fall as they do ... and I'll do little to change them.

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Hoping for the best. YOU know you're a good person and she is a good person, it's up to her to be able to see past her blinders and realize the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts