Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Texas!!!
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How will you handle it when SHTF or TEOTWAWKI comes and family, friends, and neighbors show up?

I have tried to stay below the radar and not advertise my preparations while at the same time encouraging my friends and family to prepare. I am sure that once something happens, people will show up expecting me to save them. I am trying to figure out how to handle it. I thought about putting in a bunk house to shelter some but I do not have the resources to feed everyone.

I'm interested to hear what others think or are planning.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Welp, I have 10 or 12 tube tents.. emergency blankets, some tarps.. fishing kits.. water sterilization tabs... water bottles(old 2 ltr juice bottles washed, sterilized and drained) dried milk.. lemonade mix, tang mix, firestarters... cable saws, mess kits, 1/2 lb and 1 lb pks of beans and rice etc to trade with them. If they wanna do some work around here for us, I'll pay them with that stuff (or whatever we are growing in the garden during the season,) which-by then- will be worth a fortune. If they wanna fish to feed themselves or their families, I'll help them with line and hooks (kits I have made up ahead of time and stored in my "barter box"es). If they wanna trade fish with me.. (or hunt meat and trade it) - for beans, rice,or whatever, I'd be happy to do that. We would both benefit. If they get pushy- the relationship is DONE and perhaps- so are they- depending on how pushy they get.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I have thought and prayed about this for a long time...still am.

This I do know...it is just dh and I here...we can't guard the 3 years of supplies/food alone...however, would I really trust a stranger to help guard what I have sacrificed for for more than two years to store/achieve?? And I mean sacrifice---we have really done without to save and store what we have.
Hell, no, I can't trust a stranger.

Saying that, then the old christian mantra 'what would Jesus do' sets in and after that realization, who am I to choose who to feed?? what right do I have to even try to be the 'loaf and fishies' guru??
In God's eyes, the welfare mama with 6 kids being fed and clothed with our tax dollars living better than most is no different from the single mom working two jobs to provide a roof over her child's heads and struggling to clothe herself.
There is no answer...or at least I don't have it.

What bothers me more than anything is of the other 9 houses on this street---I know of none preparing..one is drug addicts, one is never home(dine out), therefore no food I'm sure, one is quite wealthy w. pensions, one refuses to store and live check to check on SS and pension.......

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've thought about this a lot and still haven't come up with an answer. I have warned my family and friends of the need to stock pile food and I plan on telling them to take a hike when they come begging. That may be easier said than done. The thought of people I love starving is not one I can easily abide.I have literally tons of storage food, a big garden and live stock. I also have all of my immediate family on board. The problem is when you start passing out food to your extended family and friends there will be no end. Each of those will have extended family and friends some of which may be the type who will try and take what you have by force. I think the government will eventually bring truck loads of rations in similar to what they do in third world countries. If they don't I couldn't possibly do more than starve my own family and prolong their fate a couple of weeks. :dunno:

·
Registered
983 Posts
This is something we have been praying over for quite some time. We are both very active in charity work now and it will be so difficult to turn that off when the balloon goes up. Right now my plan is to help as many in our immediate family that are willing to help with all the work that will be required. I have tried to get them on board with prepping but no success. Others, I just don't know, maybe some garden work or wood spitting for food???? We are not so well stocked we can just give away supplies. We just have to believe God will lead us in the right direction.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I have only a few immediate family (outside of my own small children) members, 10 actually. Mom, brother, sister with 4 kids, MIL, BIL and his wife. My mom would take in my sister and her 4 kids before they would come here. My mom has food on the hoof and a little food set aside. It would not go far for 6 people. I don't think my MIL, BIL, and his wife would come here. All are within a half days walking distance except my sister. Family is 12 miles away, sister is over 20 miles in a bad neighborhood and she has very poor health...think can barely walk to her own car.
Friends...more like acquaintance...I don't have any true friends that I would sacrifice one of my kids meals for. I have a cousin with 2 kids and a DH that I would do what I could for but they would pull their own weight with out complaint. They are an hour and a half drive away and are city people, not sure they would come here. But, if they did I would give them one of my kid's rooms and the kids could double up.
Otherwise it would be evaluated on a case by case basis.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I have no freaking idea. This comes down to what kind of scenario you envision. I live in the DC burbs, so if something really bad happens, I'll be lucky to be alive. We dont plan to leave the area for 9 years when my girl (future wife, its complicated) retires. If her daughter leaves the area before that, we will get out of dodge sooner, out west somewhere? Leave the country altogether is my preference. Montana? Couple of priorites: No earthquake zones, floodplains, or anywhere near or east of jellystone. I am envisioning a relatively slow decline in our economy, not a massive overnight crash.
I have a couple of issues. Noone listens to me. My girl thinks prepping is a good idea, but since I'm pretty lazy, I dont do, or know much about doing housework/upkeep. My upbringing didnt allow for that, so I was never exposed to it. I am actually happiest doing manual labor that requires no thought, like hauling bricks, even though its not so good for my back and knees. When I really get into it, she thinks Im nuts and will actually get mad at me because I cant/wont do the 'normal' things that the man does around the house. Another story...
Almost everyone I talk to about drastic changes thinks Im nuts. My father thinks the idea of our downfall is ludicrous. If I cant talk about it to the 2 people I care about most, Im left with my one (fellow) tin foil hat wearin buddy.
Our friends who live at my only option as a BOL will welcome us with open arms. They live in a 'house down by the river' where we have our camper, and we spend all holiday weekends. Our problem is, noone owns the property, its on a campground. I have tried to get us to buy it, but my girl doesnt want to. I am pretty sure the owner wouldnt come near it if SHTF, but still. Its in a floodplain.
Rule number one of life: Dont build your house on a floodplain. There is a 100% chance of it flooding. If one lives in a floodplain, they have assumedly taken into account that there is a distinct possibility that they may lose everything they have. I am sorry to seem so heartless, but if you build your house on a fault line, whos fault is it when its destroyed by an earthquake?

Back to the question. If everyone thinks Im nuts, how can I help them out? Obviously I will take care of my dad, I would starve myself before him. I would also have to take into account all of the people my girl would want to help if they came a beggin, which might be a lot. Shes a bleedin heart type. Opposites attract, I guess.
My instinct is to say "I would help noone but my immediate family". I would not want to help a stranger. Boy, I hope noone else feels this way. I will do for myself and my family. If you cant read the writing on the wall, then tough noogies. Its easy for me to say this now, but when it comes down to it, would I really be this way? I doubt it. But if we end up in a situation where we are holed up in our house, and the world is going to hell around us, well then you shouldve thought about that before you bought your new car or bigscreen tv.
I will handle it the best way I can. Protecting me and my own.

·
8 Posts
hmmmm

Welp, I have 10 or 12 tube tents.. emergency blankets, some tarps.. fishing kits.. water sterilization tabs... water bottles(old 2 ltr juice bottles washed, sterilized and drained) dried milk.. lemonade mix, tang mix, firestarters... cable saws, mess kits, 1/2 lb and 1 lb pks of beans and rice etc to trade with them. If they wanna do some work around here for us, I'll pay them with that stuff (or whatever we are growing in the garden during the season,) which-by then- will be worth a fortune. If they wanna fish to feed themselves or their families, I'll help them with line and hooks (kits I have made up ahead of time and stored in my "barter box"es). If they wanna trade fish with me.. (or hunt meat and trade it) - for beans, rice,or whatever, I'd be happy to do that. We would both benefit. If they get pushy- the relationship is DONE and perhaps- so are they- depending on how pushy they get.
THIS is the approach I would RATHER have, but I am not too sure I would trust even my family in this sort of situation. I think *I* would be better prepared and adapted to this life should something drastic happen that it would be easier for me to move on, but I would damn sure not WANT to do so...

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
Get some animal feed (wheat, corn, oats, barley, etc.) for the "masses." If you tell the feed stores you want pure grains with no additives they'll have it or can get it. Be sure that when you apportion it out they see that it is animal feed. You'll know it's safe for human consumption but you'll quickly find out who is hungry and grateful for the food and who is just mooching. Have some instructions on hand for how to use it (grinding grain with rocks, making hoe-cakes and other simple foods from raw grain, etc.) Give them a one-day supply and direct them on down the road.

If they turn you down, let them starve. If they're grateful for the help watch them a bit and see if they're worth bringing into your inner circle.

If ANYONE wants to use the "what would Jesus do" plea with me they'd better have been a Christian for a long time before then. Even then I'll probably hand them a fish and some bread and tell them to pray and pass it out.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
We've leaned on the kids to store some extra food, both at their homes and at our place, since we're the bug-out location for them. Some have contributed by buying food for us to add to the general storage, like large bags of sugar and cans of coffee, and some have packed up plastic crates with beans, rice, sugar, and other things, marked their name on it, and stored it here. An unmarried son simply gives us money from time to time to buy food storage on his behalf. Some have done nothing.

The key part of our survival, though, doesn't depend on what we've put away to get us through a short-term SHTF or for a transition time for a major SHTF. Beyond that it depends on growing grains, fruits, and vegetables on our land, foraging, hunting, and fishing. Everyone will have a role in helping with that. I guess whoever shows up will also be put to work, and more workers mean more can be produced and processed, so hopefully it'll even out in the end.

"Hand-outs" is a word that won't exist here. Like JayJay said above, we've sacrificed and done without in order to be ready for whatever happens. The hard thing for me is going to be sharing equally with the kids that have blown us off and gone merrily on their way while some of their siblings have made the effort. (We have 7 kids, spouses for 6, and 7 grandkids)

·
322 Posts
Mixed feelings. I've one surviving brother and his son. Both are workers, excellent with tools and building and would not ask if there were an alternative. The sil-no way! The daughters and their so, and good friends. "Welcome, we sure can use your help. What have you to contribute---?" The two grand children- if I don't open the door wide grandma will have me out on the road. Water and firewood we're good, , almost everyone we know is a gun person. Veggies and medicine are concerns.

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
Saying that, then the old christian mantra 'what would Jesus do' sets in and after that realization, who am I to choose who to feed?? what right do I have to even try to be the 'loaf and fishies' guru??
In God's eyes, the welfare mama with 6 kids being fed and clothed with our tax dollars living better than most is no different from the single mom working two jobs to provide a roof over her child's heads and struggling to clothe herself.
Scripture is clear, we are to take care of our own house first.
"But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel". 1 Timothy 5:8

God loves both of the single moms but He does, in fact, see a difference. It would be wrong of us to risk our ability to provide for our own in order to give to others without clear instruction from God to do so.

Even during the famine in Egypt, God did not instruct Joseph to give the food away. Genesis 41:56 "And the famine was over all the face of the earth: And Joseph opened all the storehouses, and sold unto the Egyptians; and the famine waxed sore in the land of Egypt".

Proverbs 6: 6-15 "Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise. Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? When wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep. So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man. A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth. He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers; Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord. Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy".

No where does it say that if you ignore this proverb, don't worry about it God will instruct others to give you what they have stored.

Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because you have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you, that you shall be no priest to me: seeing you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children".

It is God's will that everyone abides by His Word, however He knows that's not going to happen. There are consequences for not abiding & some will pay with their lives & the lives of their children.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Thanks tsrwivey...that helps in so many ways...and when it is all said and done and the time of hunger and hardship is here...when those not prepared start praying and questioning our religious doctrine...I will simply quote:
"Don't ask God to guide your footsteps if you ain't gonna use your feet"...too little, too late...you watched the same news, read the same predictions, shopped at the same stores where prices increased every week---:eek:

I said over and over ---Glen Beck had it right when he stated it is our duty as christians to warn, to alert, and advise to store food and supplies. We then have done all we can for it is then in their court, so to speak.

·
Administrator
2,248 Posts
Kejmec, are the people you are talking to receptive to prepping?

I'm hoping it doesn't happen, I don't share my prepping with a lot of people, but if I do I through in the disclaimer "Don't come knocking on my door, haha, but no really don't.".

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
It is just the mutt and I at home, family and relatives a long, long, long way away. A few close friends who know what I am doing and have no plans of their own. None have been to my place and I have told none my address. Yeah, yeah, how close can they be then? That’s another story but suffice to say I’ve been through having friends over and now prefer to be left alone at home. Anyway, co-workers are not a problem. They think I am some sort or wild conspiracy theory nut who is armed and they are all scared of guns (and conspiracy theory nuts too).

That leaves it to strangers (the wandering hoards of zombies) and neighbors. Depending on the SHTF situation I would be willing to share with neighbors for security and help. Zombies no.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Advising others to prepare can be a two-edged sword. On one hand, you want them to get ready for any number of situations, but what usually happens is either:
A) You're over-reacting - a loose nut - conspiracy theorist - etc...
or
B) They now know that you are probably prepping and they know where to find you - phone book?

What we say today may be very different from what we do if it happens. I want to bug in - but it might be in our best interest to bug out. They won't know where you went w/ your stuff.

·
BillM
2,001 Posts
Rules

The rules

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have already written the rules for when sociaty's rules no longer exist.

I have prepaired to feed my wife, children and grand children here at my home.

They can come here to live and eat when they can no longer sustain themselves at their own homes, ( about a mile away ).

I will not give them rations to take home, they must live here to eat here.

They have not prepaired for thier selves and think I am just "gloom and doom" when I try to talk to them.

I already know what would happen to their food if I gave it to them to take home.

I don't have enough to feed all their friends and neighbors so I won't be giveing them provisions to take home.

Once they have moved in here, I will ration the supplys to make them last as long as possable and to insure that we lose enough weight as not to appear too prosperous.

They will have to share in all chores and activitys to sustain the famiely group, (including guard duty, and forrageing expiditions)

If any member of my famiely is approached by a hungry friend or stranger and want's to give them food, they will only be allowed to offer them a single meal at a time, ( their own meal). The same rule will apply to me.

If I give someone a meal, I can only do this if I am willing to forgo eating one of my own meals.

If my best friend shows up , I would feed him with the rest of my famiely and when he asked why I wasn't eating, I would explain that the only way I could feed him a meal, was to give him one of my own meals. I would explain that I had the right to give up my own food but not the famiely group's food.

If he wanted to stay and starve me, how good of a friend is he really ?

A hungry child, we might adopt but only if the famiely group was willing to rotate giving up a meal on a continueing basis.

Survival in tough times will require tough rules. I am prepaired to survive only to keep my children and grand children alive.

I don't think that is selfish or immoral !

·
Registered
45 Posts
We have very little family nearby - my mom, DH's parents, and his two adult brothers. DH is handling the talking to them about prepping. He's told them that they need to be prepared and that if they give him a little money each month he will be happy to order supplies for them when we order ours. He's shared catalogs from Emergency Essentials. Basically, he said they need to prepare themselves because we planned for two ... but, we're also ordering a couple extra 50 lb sacks of oatmeal, etc to help them out. As to how we'll handles it when SHTF, I don't know. It's a scary thought.

As for friends nearby - only one other like-minded family knows we are prepping. It happened by accident - I was watching their chickens when they were out of town, and the UPS showed up with boxes and boxes of emergency supplies. It opened the door for sharing a small amount of info. Mainly I wanted to know where they ordered from... :)

BillM, I like your rules.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Sharing...

An interesting word.. to share is a good thing but who with, how, when are the sticky parts... We share in here among ourselves.. we share good ideas, we share a lot...too much sometimes like what we have how much we have.. I'm the worse ! We / I openly talk about our weapons, ammo, food, where we live kinda...

Anybody can find anybody with a bit of information... so there is a time to share and a time to shut up..

As for feeding our non prepping family and friends I guess it's something only each of us can answer or deal with when the time comes but remember , we pick our friends not our families.. and frankly we usually do a better job of picking friends , and in fact we usually know a lot more about our friends then we do family...

I will have to look at it on a case by case basis , BUT the Lady of the Manor will shoot me if I let a hungry child go past the gate..not that I would but....

Best try to plan for helping those who will work and help out..there is no such thing as having enough help...

·
Jack of all trades?
8,397 Posts
Get some animal feed (wheat, corn, oats, barley, etc.) for the "masses." Be sure that when you apportion it out they see that it is animal feed. You'll quickly find out who is hungry and grateful for the food and who is just mooching.

If they turn you down, let them starve. If they're grateful for the help watch them a bit and see if they're worth bringing into your inner circle.
^^^THIS^^^
is EXCELLENT advice!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.