Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Learn How-To in Less Than a Minute!

I found a really cool video that I wanted to share with you guys. If you have a spare hand-crank flashlight you can turn it into a cellphone charger.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Very cool!! We have 8-10 of those wind-up lights. I may have to open one up. :2thumb:

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
Well that's pretty darn slick...

·
Semper I
28 Posts
They actually sell wind up phone chargers as well as mini wind power phone chargers. I have a wind up charger that will charge about anything with a USB connector on it. Keep it on me out here in the AFG incase we run out of diesel. Ill be the last one still playing angry birds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
yeah but cell phones today have other uses than just calling. Mine is a time keeper, calander, contact list, flashlight, camera, music player, gaming device and calculator.
I have never used any of those options but that is a good point for those that do. We just turned both of ours off and going short wave.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I bought a 12-volt charger for my cell-phone and a few wind-up flash-light with charger for cell built-in. I gave away a bunch of the flash-lights to family for Christmas gifts (Dec 2010) and have a spare one in the dresser for myself ... works quite well. I also have a solar-panel charging batteries that have 12-volt power ports for recharging USB-devices, cell-phones and also charging rechargable DoubleA (AA) and TrippleA (AAA) batteries ...

I love my solar-systems where I have the panels hanging in a couple of my south-facing windows ... and mounted to my camping trailer.

Attachments

·
Still waiting for the zombies.
1,596 Posts

·
Fat old dude
80 Posts
Something you may need to know. Some cell phones require a pretty good electrical hit to get them to start charging then a trickle can charge them. So, if you try this and it doesn't work with your phone before giving up on it try again but for the first 5-10 seconds crank it like you are a wild crazy person trying to light up a football stadium. For some phones that is required to get them to kick into the charging circuit and start charging then you can crank like normal to charge it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Had two thoughts with this. The first is to attach a multi-end cable so that devices with different charging cables can be used. Second, I would try to make some connectors to attach a pole and some blades to make a portable, outdoors, wind powered charger, something like this.

The end result would be a multi device charger using either hand power (when no wind is around) or wind power (if wind is strong enough to get it going). Like the original, this would of course only be able to charge smaller devices, but without having to sit and hand crank for [whatever time].

1 - 20 of 25 Posts