How To Turn A Hand-Crank Flashlight Into a Cell Phone Charger

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by IrritatedWithUS, Feb 11, 2011.

1. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

Learn How-To in Less Than a Minute!

I found a really cool video that I wanted to share with you guys. If you have a spare hand-crank flashlight you can turn it into a cellphone charger.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JI2Rvdzqs&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Hack a Flashlight to power your...[/ame]

2. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Very cool!! We have 8-10 of those wind-up lights. I may have to open one up. :2thumb:

3. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Well that's pretty darn slick...

4. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

AWESOME! Thanks for finding that tutorial!:2thumb:

5. IrritatedWithUS

IrritatedWithUS Well-Known Member

You are very welcome!

6. GXLancer

GXLancer Semper I

They actually sell wind up phone chargers as well as mini wind power phone chargers. I have a wind up charger that will charge about anything with a USB connector on it. Keep it on me out here in the AFG incase we run out of diesel. Ill be the last one still playing angry birds.

7. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

Cell phone will not usually work in disasters. Heck we get a power outage and ours don't work.

8. GXLancer

GXLancer Semper I

yeah but cell phones today have other uses than just calling. Mine is a time keeper, calander, contact list, flashlight, camera, music player, gaming device and calculator.

9. HELIXX

HELIXX Well-Known Member

I have never used any of those options but that is a good point for those that do. We just turned both of ours off and going short wave.

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I bought a 12-volt charger for my cell-phone and a few wind-up flash-light with charger for cell built-in. I gave away a bunch of the flash-lights to family for Christmas gifts (Dec 2010) and have a spare one in the dresser for myself ... works quite well. I also have a solar-panel charging batteries that have 12-volt power ports for recharging USB-devices, cell-phones and also charging rechargable DoubleA (AA) and TrippleA (AAA) batteries ...

I love my solar-systems where I have the panels hanging in a couple of my south-facing windows ... and mounted to my camping trailer.

Attached Files:

11. GXLancer

GXLancer Semper I

Thats the same one I have, used it a few times just to see if it works. It does but charging my Droid from 0% to 100% would probally take a couple hours if not longer

12. drifter0069

drifter0069 Member

i am no expert, but could 3 or 4 of these be hooked up to say an excercise bike to charge car batteries? how efficient would that be? just curious.

13. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

14. drifter0069

drifter0069 Member

thank you for that, buying one now!!

15. Grape Ape

Grape Ape Fat old dude

Something you may need to know. Some cell phones require a pretty good electrical hit to get them to start charging then a trickle can charge them. So, if you try this and it doesn't work with your phone before giving up on it try again but for the first 5-10 seconds crank it like you are a wild crazy person trying to light up a football stadium. For some phones that is required to get them to kick into the charging circuit and start charging then you can crank like normal to charge it.

16. woodsong

woodsong New Member

Thanks for the link -- this looks very useful!

17. TrinityAquaponics

TrinityAquaponics New Member

That is an awesome video! When hurricane Ike hit I lost power for a couple of weeks. My cell phone could still make calls, but once the battery was out that was it. People were hanging out at CVS and Walgreens just to charge their phones. This would have been great to have had.

18. preventDamage

preventDamage Member

Wow. That's really cool. Thanks for the post.

19. siafulinux

siafulinux Active Member

Had two thoughts with this. The first is to attach a multi-end cable so that devices with different charging cables can be used. Second, I would try to make some connectors to attach a pole and some blades to make a portable, outdoors, wind powered charger, something like this.

The end result would be a multi device charger using either hand power (when no wind is around) or wind power (if wind is strong enough to get it going). Like the original, this would of course only be able to charge smaller devices, but without having to sit and hand crank for [whatever time].

20. mikesolid

mikesolid Mobile Bug-Out-Bag-Man

That's awesome. Thanks for the posting.