How to on PREPARING FOR A TSUNAMI

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by PatriotSurvivalist, Mar 25, 2010.

1. PatriotSurvivalist

PatriotSurvivalist Patriot Survivalist

* Sooner or later, tsunamis visit every coastline in the Pacific. Warnings apply to you if you live in any Pacific coastal area.

* Not all earthquakes cause tsunamis, but many do. When you hear that an earthquake has occurred, stand by for a tsunami emergency.

* An earthquake in your area is a natural tsunami warning. Do not stay in low-lying coastal areas after a local earthquake.

* A tsunami is not a single wave, but a series of waves. Stay out of danger areas until an "all clear" is issued by a competent authority.

* Approaching tsunamis are sometimes heralded by a noticeable rise or fall of coastal water. This is nature's tsunami warning and it should be heeded.

* A small tsunami at one beach can be a giant a few miles away. Don't let the modest size of one make you lose respect for all.

* The National Tsunami Warning Center does not issue false alarms. When a warning is issued, a tsunami exists.

* All tsunami-like hurricanes are potentially dangerous, even though they may not damage every coastline they strike.

* Never go down to the beach to watch for a tsunami. When you can see the wave, you are too close to escape it.

* During a tsunami emergency, your local Civil Defense, police, and other emergency organizations will try to save your life. Give them your fullest cooperation.

Unless they don't show up Like Katrina..!!

I always say be more prepared than the average person and you will not have these problems.

You can find this and much more at my website:

http://www.ultimatesurvivalsupplies.com

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  2. allen_idaho

allen_idaho Well-Known Member

What I don't see here is any useful knowledge about PREPARING for a tsunami.

You explain what a tsunami is. How it is caused. And how the warning system works. Pretty basic knowledge.

But you are basically saying that if the siren goes off, stay away from the beach, stick your thumb up your butt, and wait for someone to come and save you.

3. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Allen I would think with a tsunami your plan would be to get the heck out of her way. :surrender:

Toss up the white flag and grab your BOB and go. :)

4. spacestuff4me

spacestuff4me Active Member

Find the highest ground within running distance

There's not much you can do to prepare when a 20ft + wall of water is coming at you at 60mph. If you look at video of the tsunami that hit Indonesia, PI, Thailand and areas of India & Africa, you'll see that the only people who survived, were the ones able to get to high ground quickly or who were in concrete buildings at least 3 stories tall. If you survived the initial flooding, the water usually receeded within 1-2 hours and you're able to leave the building.

If you're that concerned about a tsunami, move to a place that's not impacted, but if you choose to stay in a possible tsunami zone, then your plans should include an escape to a tall building within 30 minutes walking time from you.

Besides a wall of water washing everything away, the worst impact of the tsunami is that all of the drinking water supplies are contaminated by salt water, sewage, decomposing dead bodies and disease. IMHO, a good water filter (Katadyn pocket) in your BOB is an absolute for your immediate survival because chances are that your home & support system is destroyed, so you're on your own. I would also have a pair of heavy duty boots so when you're walking around after the water has cleared out, you don't get hurt when walking on piles of debris.