How to make Canadian geese edible.

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Magus, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Lots of people claim that the Canadian goose is inedible, INCLUDING some Canadians!I'm here to tell you it can be done and in a tasty manner!
    Step 1
    Cut into chunks and Pressure cook it until it disintegrates.[about 4 hours.]

Add two beef bullion cubes and continue to simmer until half the juice is gone.

Drain the juice for gravy.

presuming you have 3/4th of a gallon of meat, add two finely diced red onions, a pint of sweet relish,a teaspoon of horse radish and black pepper and half a quart of mayonnaise.

serve on garlic Texas toast like chicken salad.freeze the rest.tastes like beef salad.great for a football party!:2thumb:

Might also make great Manhattans.it has a beefy texture and taste and the gravy cries out for potatoes and slaw!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Is that Manhatan your referring to the one made with Bourbon Whiskey? Enough of that and anything would be good!:beercheer:

Those cooking directions would probably work pretty good with Skunk also.:D:D

Note: I have never eaten Canada Goose(or skunk).:dunno:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012

3. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

I smoke em so the grease renders out. There goos eatin that way to.

4. kilagal

kilagal Well-Known Member

I debone them then grind the meat up like hamburger and make tacos from them. Very good.

5. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Nah.a Manhattan is an open face roast beef sandwich with mashed potatoes,coleslaw and smothered in gravy.

6. Davarm

Davarm Texan

Never heard of it but sounds pretty darn good, would make a good combo though, Manhattan and Manhattan. :D

7. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

The way that I like to eat Canadian-goose is BBQ'd with a good tequila-based BBQ-sauce. I will eat it with a side-dish of baked-potatoe and my BBQ-broccoli (recipe for BBQ broccoli in the recipe section here). I might eat about 4oz of meat from the bird.

The left-overs after the bird has been BBQ'd gets thrown into a slow-cooker or my dutch-oven and is stewed with a beer-based (Kokanee) broth with the basics (onion, carrot, garlic, celery, etc) for the day (about 8hrs) while I am at work.

Another way that I like to prepare the bird is to put the whole bird into a large Tupperware container and pour in a full can of Coke (not Pepsi), mince some garlic and throw that in, dice some onion and throw that in and then pour in some BBQ-sauce (I like a basic burger BBQ-sauce) and allow the whole thing to marinate for at least 24hrs in the fridge. The acid in the Coke will break-down the toughness of the bird and the BBQ-sauce with the garlic and onion will give it a very nice flavour!

Good-luck with your bird! :wave:

8. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

I'm trying that next time I get a bird!

9. cranky1

cranky1 Member

the best way i found is to cook goose between two pieces of plywood, then throw away goose and eat plywood! cheers

10. md1911

md1911 Member

The best way to eat geese is to ggo without eating for a few weeks.

11. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Godz...can't anybody but me cook in here? :p

12. md1911

md1911 Member

I had canadiean goose deep fryed in peanut oil a few years ago. It was actually good.

13. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

does sound good!ours was an old bird though.broiling's the only thing for that.

14. on_the_rox

on_the_rox Active Member

I have had no problem cooking the geese I have shot. I have used the crockpot and feed the breast to my relatives who said they would swear it was roast beef if I had not told them. I have a friend that makes jerky with goose and it is awesome. I guess I am perplexed as to why goose would be bad?

15. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

Me too.Every Canadian I'm friends with but one or two refuse to eat them.I loved the stuff!

16. md1911

md1911 Member

Well I have only ate goose 2x the first was horrid. They cooked it like a turkey in the oven. The second was deep fried. Now I loved it fixed like that.

17. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

This was actually my first.we skinned it and slow roasted it and then popped it in a pan and broiled it down like stewed beef.kind of a "prime rib" method in reverse.:p

18. md1911

md1911 Member

Sounds good. Haven't tried it that way but if I get the chance I will

19. Kessler

Kessler Member

Fixed that for you......:)

20. Magus

Magus Scavenger deluxe

I'm from Georgia.sue me. :p