Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The Future?
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gypsysue "Canning lids and jars...one of my favorite subjects! If you're going to can your harvest from your survival garden you'll need enough jars for at least one jar of food a day...365 jars in a year. 365 lids divided by 12 lids in a box...about 30 dozen boxes. Each year, since you're not supposed to re-use the lids."

So that made me think about all of the items I am prepping?

Ammo: 500 rounds .380, 500 rounds 7.62 x 39, 1200 rounds 22LR, 500 rounds 9mm.

Food: Maybe a year.

Canning: 24 pint bottles and 12 boxs of lids, 3 gallons of vinegar and 4 boxes salt

Water: 4 gallons of bleach for purification

Seeds: 300,000 Heirloom non GMO

Toilet Paper: 4 rolls

Beer: Can make up to 50 gallons

So how much is really enough? Can you have enough:dunno:

·
Registered
495 Posts
If you're going to can your harvest from your survival garden you'll need enough jars for at least one jar of food a day...365 jars in a year. 365 lids divided by 12 lids in a box...about 30 dozen boxes. Each year, since you're not supposed to re-use the lids."

OUCH!!! 365 Jars? nope - maybe somewhere close to 200...maybe...and some of those are little jelly jars - not much food in those!

Now that's a reality check for me. :( Thanks...I think.

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Canning jars: I have a 'collection' started. :eek: 10 boxes of Tattler lids...not sure how many regular lids.

Ammo: probably 200 9MM, 500 .22, 20 or so rounds 20 gauge

Seeds: Survival seed bank from My Patriot supply

Water: lots of empty 5 gallon buckets to use to catch rain water

Toilet Paper: family cloth

Food: I have a bunch of kids that inhale everything I bring into the house...so...not sure

No such thing as enough or to much in my house on all of those items.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
Maybe 150 jars and lids.Not prepping as much as trying to set up to grow food.I have 2 4x25 old raised beds.Just finished a 5x30' R-bed.Working on double diggign 4 more,the new garden is closer to the house and out from the greenhouse half way built.
Also plan to use Excalbur dehydrator more.Bags are not cheap though!:eek:
Have my chickens for eggs.
Buy extra rice,flour,sugar,salt ,etc.
Need more non hybrid or bio seeds though.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
gypsysue "Canning lids and jars...one of my favorite subjects! If you're going to can your harvest from your survival garden you'll need enough jars for at least one jar of food a day...365 jars in a year. 365 lids divided by 12 lids in a box...about 30 dozen boxes. Each year, since you're not supposed to re-use the lids."

So that made me think about all of the items I am prepping?

Ammo: 500 rounds .380, 500 rounds 7.62 x 39, 1200 rounds 22LR, 500 rounds 9mm.

Food: Maybe a year.

Canning: 24 pint bottles and 12 boxs of lids, 3 gallons of vinegar and 4 boxes salt

Water: 4 gallons of bleach for purification

Seeds: 300,000 Heirloom non GMO

Toilet Paper: 4 rolls

Beer: Can make up to 50 gallons

I doubt you need 2700 rounds of ammo. 4 rolls of toilet paper is a problem. We plan on having about 200 rounds of ammo. We have over 200 rolls of TP now and plan on having another 200 in the next month.

I don't understand why non GMO seeds are preferred. Who wouldn't want corn plants that have immunity from the corn borer? That doesn't make sense to me.

We have about 900 gallons of water right now for 4 people. We buy 24 gallons every week day. We plan on having at least 1500 gallons. Possibly 2000. I'm very concerned that even going outside to get water would be dangerous.

Another thing you could use: night vision goggles. I need to search online for them myself.

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
I keep about 1000 lids and 300 jars (mostly quart size). The garden is just starting the harvest season and I've already canned over 90 quarts. I'm thinking I'll do 2-300 quarts this year.

I don't think there's such a thing as "too much", if the item isn't perishable. Ammo, TP... last forever if stored correctly. Bleach doesn't have a very long shelf life.

For water, I have city water, a well, a creek in the back yard and enough already stored to last more then a year.

·
Registered
837 Posts
A serious gardener,canner and prepper will have no less than 1400 jars for a family of four. having 200 jars is what pre korean war country people used for canning pickles. when you have to put up your own food, you had to do it for a full yr or til the garden grew the following yrs, PS, no freezers back then either so we planned on 300 qts of canned meat,900 jars of different veges, a couple hundred jars of fruit--berries, apples ect.some pt jars of jams-jellies, Plus the root celler filled and nuts stored in the attic.

you also always have to plan and prep for a bad yr,a wet yr, a hot yr, animals stealing a crop, insects ruining a crop ect.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't understand why non GMO seeds are preferred. Who wouldn't want corn plants that have immunity from the corn borer? That doesn't make sense to me.

Another thing you could use: night vision goggles. I need to search online for them myself.
Non GMO seeds can be harvested and reused to plant next years crop. Try that with a Monsanto seed and you will MAYBE get beautiful looking plants with not ears or maybe nothing at all or MAYBE who the hell knows what you will get when you F*&k with Gods creations. Not all things in the world can be improved upon.
If you ever have a need to know what evil is, Research the above mentioned company and learn just how and what they do. They will never steal a penny from me.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
@Bill--why are GMOs so dangerous-well for one they haven't been proven to be safe for consumption-2-they are spreading their nasty GMO genes all over the place and ruining real-good food crops-3-they usually are not open pollinated so will not breed true and will revert back to one or the other of parents(which is not always a bad thing but sometimes it is)-4-the flavor is totally lacking and so far the older heirloom/open pollinated have not only better flavors but a bit better nutrition. Sure you will see comparisons between GMO and Heirlooms and even between organic and non organic-they say that they are usually the same... well sure they are-they are taking them from the grocery store where most of the produce is probably 7 days old to begin with.
They have also done studies about "gmo's " saving the world by having better production amounts-well guess what? They don't produce more than conventional crops that are not gmo.:rolleyes:
Being "round up ready" has now spread to the weeds that it was supposed kill and made them super weeds now...
Do you really want to eat something that has been repeatedly sprayed by round up-a known gene disruptor?:nuts:

Okay-I'll step down from the ol' soap box now.. just giving ya something to think about when it comes to Monsatano and their GMO sickness.:rantoff:

We need to love our Mother :earthhug:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts

·
Supporting Member
819 Posts
Around 1800 jars. Pints and quarts. Regular and Wide mouth.
Close to 3000 canning lids.
LOTS of TP!
Food for 2 for 5 years
5000 .22 rounds
2000 7.62x39
1400 shotgun of various load.

Can't really have enough. Bartering will be a way life.
3000 .45
500 9mm
2000 .40
Finally ordering 2000 rounds of .308 168gr.Bthp MATCH tonight.

·
1,734 Posts
Wow that is some good prices for the bag rolls-you've tried them? I used to buy the ones from walmart(their brand) but they discontinued them.
yes, and they work great

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
A serious gardener and canner and prepper will have no less than 1400 jars for a family of four.
That's a good figure. The last time I took an inventory we had about 1200 for the 2 of us but I add a box or 2 every time we go to an auction. I've never had them all filled at once. Lids on hand; about 150 dozen.
I like to keep 40-50 qt jars of meat on hand all the time. Right now we're down to 20-25. I need to get busy. About 20qts of peaches and pears still left from last year but fruit season is upon us so I'll put put up another 60-80qts.
Scores of bags of seed, 80 rolls of TP. 1500 tea bags, 30# of freeze-dried coffee, 400# of sugar, 60# of honey, 500# of wheat, 200# of whole oats and about 50# of rolled, 16-3# jars of PB 30 chickens, 10 goats, a 10,000sf garden and ammo in the 5 digit range.

If we could never go to the store again, it would be an inconvenience but not catastrophic.

·
1,734 Posts
Uncle Joe, that is some serious stores :)

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Uncle Joe, that is some serious stores :)
That's just a partial list. We've been at this for 4 years. :) Things add up when done a little at a time.

·
Registered
837 Posts
That's just a partial list. We've been at this for 4 years. :) Things add up when done a little at a time.
I would say that you're in great shape and have the knowledge and supplies to get very serious over night.we're just biding our time as the trucks are still rolling and the stores are still open but we keep enough to last til the gardens grow next yr.

·
Function over Form
524 Posts
...So how much is really enough? Can you have enough:dunno:
"Enough" in my planning involves enough to sustain a rudimentary, secure life for myself and several friends (who did not prep). I need those people, and I know I can count on them even if I can't convince them to seriously prep right now.

I doubt I can meet the worst-case scenario in every category, but there are a few areas of preps that I strive to.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts