Preparedsociety.com banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...what percent, based on days worth of food per person, do you store to give away to other people?

·
Retired Army
320 Posts
Another poster today said it was smarter to put money into extra food than extra ammunition to fight off all your neighbors.

In my situation, that is what works for me. I live on a rural culdesac with 12 other homes, each on 5 acre lots, most are unimproved.

Others have tractors and such they mow their fields with, so I concentrate on seeds and a small rototiller. I'll trade seeds for tractor tilling and we'll both win. I can weld up tractor attachments and I have some antique ones laying around.

I have the ability to give each home a week's worth of rice, milk, sugar and basics, but would wait until they are good and hungry and willing to listen. If they let too many people in, then it's their problem. If they don't want to listen to my game plan to help, then they don't need any of my "public assistance".

Some have EMP proof "collector vehicles" others horses. With organization, we could be an effective team, similar to LIGHTS OUT, but I would definitely keep a low profile until people were in a listening mood.

I do get along with my neighbors and do not intend to sit in a hole in the ground while they die off. I'll give them all a fair chance to get on board.

·
Retired Drill Sgt
33 Posts
None. I'll share if I can/feel the need to, but what we have is ours. Come and get it. Can't afford to... but if I was rich... 2 of everything.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
So...what percent, based on days worth of food per person, do you store to give away to other people?
When you glean all this "information" from us you gonna give us all the credit in your book? Or just claim it for yourself?:hmmm:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yeah, my thoughts too, Emerald. Sounds like someone is collecting info from our responses, eh?

I aint tellin nothing no more! (darn...I sound dumb...must be eating the wrong stuff! ROTFL!)

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh please! Yep, one can simply ask a small group of people on the Internet a few questions and then get a book published for royalties!!! Yeppers, that's how it's done!:beercheer:

Nah, I'm a prepper first and I'm also a person who loves to learn new things.

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Yeppers, you're just giving us ALL KINDS OF food for thought....Though most of these things are already on previous threads. Perhaps you would like to browse back through the threads and see all the many subjects that have been discussed at length? There's much good information there. It does take time, but it's well worth it.

I can find some links for you. Always happy to help!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not one mouthful, if they're not brain dead, they can see what's happening in the world the same as I.I will point them towards the creek across the rd if they want water. A person hands out one thing and they'll become the food bank for the area, first it will be friendly borrowing, then as people get hungry, it'll be home invasion and violence.

When and if the SHsTF and I knew things would get better in a few yrs, I might consider sharing, but It'll be many,many yrs before things will ever get better, probably five or more yrs before even the Mom and Pop businesses or the family farms will start emerging to jump start America again.

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you gypsysue for posting that, some interesting discussion there.

I'm working my way through on thinking about things, as it's complex if I allow it to be and I'm not exactly simple. It's good to rethink things.

On a pragmatic side, there are huge advantages to having something to share, you can build alliances, alleviate guilt, have something critical to trade, and the investment of a very small amount of money pays for a lot of food. Not great food, but something invaluable when it's a matter of hunger going to toward starvation.

But more recently I'm thinking beyond the pragmatic. Heck, I can get a canister of oatmeal which might be good for quite a while, edible for longer for a buck! For the cost of a few frappacinos I could put away several more pounds of beans, rice and pasta. Not great fare, but beats starving.

I don't mind helping out when someone needs an aspirin, needle and thread, or can of pop at work. I appreciated it when someone had one of those Clorox pens at work and I got something on my shirt and once that happened, I didn't mind lending out my own Clorox pen. That's a matter of simple little preps that most folks don't do and don't think about for high prob, low impact situations. How many people really prepare for extremely low probability, very high impact situations?

Years ago, more than once we towed back other boaters in distress from mechanical problems or simply running out of gasoline because they underestimated the effects of incoming tide or distance. Yeah, they should have planned better, but we certainly didn't condemn them and were glad to help.

I'm of two minds when it's theoretical, but there are so many variables and unknows that might affect my decision making if something happens, but I've come to realize, beyond what I have, why not have a portion dedicated to that so I can decide whether or not then, it'd be incidental to what I have in my own planning for our use.

·
Registered
252 Posts
absolutely NONE. we planned, we prepared, we spent OUR money on food so that OUR family could survive. I taught classes, offered to help, wrote blogs and begged people to do something. I have a clear conscience, I don't have it to give.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Not one mouthful, if they're not brain dead, they can see what's happening in the world the same as I.I will point them towards the creek across the rd if they want water. A person hands out one thing and they'll become the food bank for the area, first it will be friendly borrowing, then as people get hungry, it'll be home invasion and violence.

When and if the SHsTF and I knew things would get better in a few yrs, I might consider sharing, but It'll be many,many yrs before things will ever get better, probably five or more yrs before even the Mom and Pop businesses or the family farms will start emerging to jump start America again.
:2thumb:Couldn't have said it any better

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Here's the way I see it....

I've talked to all my friends and family...they have heard it and are all smart enough to understand it.. hell even the Gov has been telling folks to prep.. so..if they are to dumb, dense, or foolish to do their own thinking and preping then shame on them...

I have a son who I've never been too close too, took him longer to decide to grow up then it did me...not by much...

He went north with me to help me move to my new winter home and BOL... I spent almost 5 K worth of miles with the sat radio on the Patriot channel.. he heard more stuff in the time we were driving then he's ever heard... I told him what I thought was going to happen and why and used the talk radio to bring it all home... I told him that instead of buying that 60 inch TV he could have bought a lot of LTS food or ammo etc...

At the end of the trip his comment was if it happens he's heading to my place.. I asked if he was bringing the 60 " TV..he looked kinda funny... I gave him a rifle and shotgun and told him that next time he needed a 12 pack of beer he might think about spending the $$ on something to keep him alive when the SHTF... I could tell from his expression that none of it stuck.. I feel sorry for him.. he's headed for 50 YO and is more enthused talking about the eng some friend has in a POS truck then learning...

He talks all the time about hunting and the deer he's seen etc etc... we hunted before we left, got 6 deer.. he had no idea how to dress out a deer... yet he can name every rock tune on the radio when I switched it... I feel sorry for him and realize that we lost something in all those years

I spent the night at his place and next morning I got dressed and packed my bag to get rolling and he was just finishing a joint!... as soon as we got rolling he wanted to drive... I said uh..no.. I figured if he needed a joint to get his day going I wasn't going to let him drive... I'm not a prude and I feel folks can do as they wish.. so it wasn't the pot, it was that he needed it that early in the morning.. I have a lot of friends who smoke it ...at the end of the day... !!! not to start the day...

So ya see, even family can be a problem.. will I turn him away? .. I don't know..but I will tell him that if he shows up with nothing but a big assed TV he can keep going... no supplies no entry...tuff love..I have other people counting on me to keep us all alive and safe..

Sorry, guess this was TMI but I felt the need to say it...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know my personality. I have always been a giver. I will have to share to a certain extent. I save all types of containers, i.e. peanut butter jars. I then put in beans or rice. Small amount but something I can give with ease if necessary.

I know that I will have to get it in perspective and realize it is not my responsibility to help those that chose to do nothing while spending all their money on a bunch of junk.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I posted about storing food for neighbors

Hi Everyone,

I'm the guy who posted that I store extra food for people in my neighborhood in case of an emergency and that in order to survive a real emergency, your neighbors are a most valuable resource.

Now that being said, I have no intention of feeding anyone who's not willing to give 100% to protecting our neighborhood. I'm the last guy to advocate any type of welfare and I'm very willing to let ignorant people keep walking because I'm not responsible for them or their families. The reason I store extra food for neighbors is because I can see what's headed our way and many others choose to be in a constant state of denial. It's human nature to deny bad things are happening, even when you can see them in front of your face, but until it affects that person directly, they don't want to experience or endure the pain. That's the situation we're all in right now and trust me, the economic pain we're going to feel, is nothing compared to what we've been through. It's not my job to prepare or protect those who refuse to take responsibility for their own safety. However, if the situation arises where I can help someone who's willing to help me, then I don't have a problem feeding them, as long as they contribute to our neighborhoods protection.

The fact is that I've spoken to everyone I know about the storm that's coming and I'm the laughing stock psycho because I do prepare for what I think will be very difficult times to come. So in my opinion, if I store extra food for someone with a vital skill that I don't possess or am prepared to feed someone who's willing to stand guard in my neighborhood, I'm fine with that. The truth is that I'm preparing for someone to help protect my area, because if I allow my neighbors to starve, eventually I'll be the target of everyone around me.

If things get really bad, to the point where I can't stay in my home, then I have made plans with a buddy to take a 90+ ft sail boat and hang out at Catalina until the situation calms down. I'm more than capable of providing my family with enough food to survive on for a year with my skills as a diver / hunter.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
There is a lot to be said about heading out to sea on a sail boat.. wind power fishing, water can be a problem but there are ways to get that... so I don't think that's a bad call at all...

I thought about a boat on a really big lake and use it to access some remote area with no roads into it..

In fact I'm laying out a story / book(?) with that concept..

Sailaway is in this camp!!

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
absolutely NONE. we planned, we prepared, we spent OUR money on food so that OUR family could survive. I taught classes, offered to help, wrote blogs and begged people to do something. I have a clear conscience, I don't have it to give.
:flower:

I also feel like I have a clear conscience ... I have shared what I have learned and if someone doesn't take that knowledge and use it, I am not going to hand-hold them when there is trouble.

They will hear "I TOLD YA SO!!!"

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
I'd be most concerned that those I helped would keep coming back, and maybe tell/bring others with them.

·
a dude
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd be most concerned that those I helped would keep coming back, and maybe tell/bring others with them.
yes, that's a serious consideration, but what I'm thinking is there are so many possible scenarios. Some might be short term, some might be long term and in many we might assume what might be huge may diminish in days or we'd start off small and it'd snow ball.

I'm thinking about options.

Here's a harsh possibility...

They show up and you stand there with a baggie of oatmeal in one hand and a round in the other. Shake the bag. "This is because you showed up today." then hold up the rifle round "this is if you ever come back."

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Here's a harsh possibility...

They show up and you stand there with a baggie of oatmeal in one hand and a round in the other. Shake the bag. "This is because you showed up today." then hold up the rifle round "this is if you ever come back."
Yes! Exellent. That's a good way to handle it.

And I agree with the other thing you said, how we handle it might depend, in part, on whether it's a short-term scenario or a long-term/permanant one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts