How many of us are physically fit?

Discussion in 'Health & Medicine' started by Clarice, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Clarice

Clarice Well-Known Member

I know I'm not. I have to get busy with my fitness program. Walking, riding the bike, lite weight lifting. This is not going to be easy and we must be physically fit to make it thru.

2. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

I too could use a bit of work. A pinched nerve in my neck set me back for several months but now that it's pretty much over with, time to get in shape.

Instead of doing exercise for the sake of exercising, I will use my energy for processing firewood and other more labor intensive jobs.

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I know that I am not in the best shape ever-nerve damage due to a car accident-I can do quite a bit but not all day every day. More of a do this for an hour and then that for an hour etc.
    Can walk for quite a ways tho- it is the only real activity that I can still do quite a bit of. Just had to get a staff for my balance problem(also accident related).
    I am hoping that my huge acquired bank knowledge of how to grow stuff and preserve stuff and make things by hand and from scratch will count for something!

4. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Yep, "laid up" times are a good time to expand one's knowledge base. Good going, emerald!

Some times of the year it seems like our exercise is primarily related to firewood (cutting, splitting, stacking, which is mostly my husband's doing!) and the garden (harvesting and processing, mostly my job!). I miss having time for walks and bike rides, though hopefully I can squeeze some of that in soon too.

We'll GET in better shape if the SHTF, but it'll be easier if we're IN somewhat good shape, at least! Thanks, Clarice, for reminding us that this is important!

5. bstickler92

bstickler92 Well-Known Member

i'll say i am, i've worked as a warehouse worker(lots of heavy lifting) for the past two summers, swam competitively for six years and dove competitively for three. now that i'm a freshman in college, i do more travel on foot than i ever had in my life. and where i am, the only flat part is the surface of the monongahela river so anywhere is a hike. i like the feeling of knowing i can get where i want without having to rely on something like public transportation.

6. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

You sound just like me... from 30 years ago. Like the cereal boxes say, Some settling may occur.

7. HarleyRider

HarleyRider Comic Relief Member

Not in real good shape... arthritis is really bad. Hard to grip anything, can't walk all that well, bending over is next to impossible, and I could be a Life Alert poster child ("I've fallen and I can't get up!!). Hopefully, things will get better. :(

8. Salekdarling

Salekdarling Member

I'm in between being physically fit and not...probably leaning more towards being unfit. Not for long though! I'm in the Police Academy now and the one thing I'm worrying about is failing my graduation standards in Physical Training. Therefore I'm working out at school and on my own time. :2thumb: I HATE running though. :mad:

9. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

I'd say that I'm in great shape, I couldn't toss 100 pound sacks on grain all day again, but i can do a good days work here or anyplace.

10. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I guess it means what you mean by 'in shape'...

can I run a marathon OR a six minute mile?... no

can I do 90 minutes of kill-myself-aerobics?... no

can I do a Pilates course?... no, I'm not even sure what those are

CAN I split enough wood for the day, or week, or month?... YES!

CAN I haul it out of the woods? YES!... eventually

CAN I throw a wagonload of hay bales into the loft?... YES!... but does that suck

CAN I ride a bike 10 miles to the store if I have to?... YES!

CAN I swim the 1.5 miles to cross the lake at my BOL?... YES!

CAN I ignore the pain in my limbs or back to accomplish a TASK or CHORE that NEEDS doing? YOU BETCHA!

I think the modern definition of 'in shape' has become 'do you have enough LEISURE time to PAY for the privilege of: walking up an endless flight of stairs, riding a bike to nowhere, squatting & bending & flexing & hydrating... ALL while some mental quadraplegic tells you "YOU'RE the BEST! Just ONE more!"

I ALREADY have a sense of my self worth AND my place in the world, I DON'T need others to point out my weak points OR my magnificence. ;)

11. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

I hate to even say this out loud, but the car accident was 10 years ago and while I know my limits now and have good days, great days, and bad days and worse days- I know that I am not on any meds that I HAVE to take and if I don't go overboard on my chores and Crazy Ideas- I live to have another Crazy Idea another day! lol:2thumb::flower:
    Unfortunately the problems are getting slightly worse each year, so hopefully they come up with a cure of some type before TSHTF!;):D Or maybe I should figure out how to grow and harvest poppies and other natural pain killers.

12. tommu56

tommu56 Member

Lets say (how does the song go) I ain't as good as I once was

2003 went to Philmont with the kids I didn't out hike them but I made it 80 some miles in 10 days with a 70 lb pack and it was easy compared to hiling the Appalachian trail were we were training.

One partially torn acl and 2 shredded meniscusi (is that a word) has slowed me down
    At work I am the only one that doesn't use our easy go's I renamed one LAZY go and the bosses weren't too happy.

My grands daughter is 7 so & got 7 years or so to get ready for my 3rd trip to philmont

tom

13. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

Well ain't as fit as I was say back in my military days, I need ta do a bit a work on it.

But, I'm round an round is a shape so I guess I'm in shape!:D

14. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Climbing trees for nearly 30 years has kept me in fairly good shape.
    However.... I've also smoked for those 30 years so running a marathon is certainly out of the question.
    I can work all day doing trees and still come home and work around here so I consider myself physically fit. :dunno:

15. Victor23

Victor23 Well-Known Member

I recently had my rotator cuff repaired. In the process of recovery (several months), i gained a lot of weight due to my inactivity. I joined a martial arts school for the fitness and training. I lost 20 pounds in 3 months and a couple of inches of my waist. I'm still loosing and will hopefull continue for a while longer. The aerobic training is awesome.

16. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

I can sympatize with you, had both shoulders done 'twice', they seem to be ok now.

17. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Well, I’m no young buck in my 20’s anymore. Bet I couldn’t do most of the jobs I had back then, as fast as I did them back then anyway. I’m in good enough shape to do what needs doing like firewood, home repairs, garden and all. Not that I don’t need a wee bit of tincture to get me un-knotted before bed and maybe a dose or two to help me make it out of bed the next morning. And maybe a booster or three during the day. Slow and steady still gets the jobs done, just not as many of them in a day as maybe I could have years ago.

Could I toss around 100# sacks all day? Nope, wouldn’t even think of trying it. Could I load a truck of 100# sacks? You betcha. It just might take a while longer than a younger man and I would have to setup another way besides straight lifting them but it would be done. Could I cut, split and stack a full cord of wood a day? Nope, wouldn’t even think I could do it. Could I cut, split and stack a cord of wood? You betcha. It takes a few days but it does get done.

Physically fit to me is likely different from what most folk’s definition of physically fit is. Actually anyone over the half-century mark might think like I do on this! I can do most any job that needs to be done, to me that is fit enough. It might take someone a week or two to get a cord of firewood stacked, it still got done! Just because someone else can do something physical in less time than me doesn’t mean I’m less fit, just older. Remember, you don’t have to be faster than the bear, just faster than one other person.

18. Victor23

Victor23 Well-Known Member

I cant imagine that. The recovery on one was horrible. Two times two is beyond me. Glad you ok.

19. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Bstickler-you go to Cal U, don't you? I can't think of any other colleges on the Mon, especially that are all hilly. I was there from Fall 94 to Fall 99. Took some extra time because of several times I changed my major. I live about a half hour from Cal, up rte 43 towards Pittsburgh.

As for me, most people here know I lost 100 pounds in 2009 through exercise and diet and have kept about 90 of it off successfully. I didn't run on my elyptical much this summer, but we were making hay, doing yard work, etc for my exercise. I also yeilded to the junky foods more than I should have. I'm watching again now and running on the elyptical as much as possible. I'm no power lifter, but I can throw hay bales all day and do what I have to to get the job done. My blood pressure, blood sugar levels, chest xray, and full physical that I get for work every year (I have an asbestos worker qualification and it requires an anual physical) all turn out better and better. Being in shape and always striving to get into better shape, is well worth the struggle.

20. bstickler92

bstickler92 Well-Known Member

Jason: i haven't been to Cal U, i go to WVU, but i would imagine it's just as hilly. i measured my walk from my res hall to my class and it's only a mile and a half, which means i should walk it more often. walking is too underestimated these days.