Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed food has skyrocketed this year.
However, this week I've seen asparagus go from $1.89 a bundle to $2.98. Coffee from $8.99 to $11.99. Cereal is $5.00 a box. It is absolutely asinine
These last 2 weeks gas has been down, however. Yesterday it went up 4 cents. It is still cheaper than what it was last month though.

I was put into shock today.
I registered for my summer classes in med school. I've noticed $20-$30 increases in tuition every 3 months.
However, today there was a $300 increase. And my books for 3 months will cost me well over $500! And this
is not including the fees that they tacked on for each class out of the blue and without explanation to what
the fees are. And this does not include the 0.8% tax on the dollar for the books. With all these fees, I'm doling
out $1,000 in fees and taxes for less classes than 3 months ago. UNBELIEVABLE!

This makes me want to prep like i've never prepped before....except school took my money :)

:gaah: I feel like when I get somewhere, I fall and fall hard!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was complaining to hubby about grocery prices the other night. Less quantity, less quality, more money. It's totally stressing me out.

Here we are trying to spend $250 a MONTH budget on groceries-- with 3 starving boys--, and they keep raising the prices on me!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaa (me screaming here)

And don't forget the utilities that keep raising in price too. Water and electric have gone up 20% in price from last year. I am pretty sure the gas co raised their prices too, but havent had time to compare to last year's rates.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
I feel for you young people.

I ask a med student a couple months ago why they don't protest,she just looked blank eyed and changed the subject.

Guess you don't know what to do.i wis it were better for yall.And me too,us seniors are on their hit list.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
The Price Increases are every where (right now I'm "on sell" shopping only)... I saw a sale today on candles, not that I need them but it did make me look twice.

Reg price $1.99 on sale for $1.98. Now I'm sure some folks may fall for "on Sale sign" ... but to be honest, more than anything ... It ticked me off. :ignore:

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been watching the prices rise...and they say we haven't hit the big increases yet! A friend pre orders her heating fuel each year to take advantage of discounts...last year she paid $3500 (big old house), this year her estimate was over $5000! (she's doing wood instead now).
Good luck folks! THIS is why we prep and have gardens.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I was checking out an "on sale" item the other day, raised the sale sign to see the original price on the shelf so I would know how much I was saving. Guess what the price on the shelf was $3 less than the sale sign. Asked for the manager, he wasn't in. Sales clerk said they had not had time to redo the prices on the shelf. I asked her what was the regular price and she said "I'm not sure but I know you will be saving at the sale price." Not everything on sale is a bargin.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've taken to keeping a small spiral notebook in my purse. When I go to stores and see products I normally use or stock up on, I make a note of the price and what store...makes it easier to keep track of.

·
Seeking The Truth
7,938 Posts
The Price Increases are every where (right now I'm "on sell" shopping only)... I saw a sale today on candles, not that I need them but it did make me look twice.

Reg price $1.99 on sale for $1.98. Now I'm sure some folks may fall for "on Sale sign" ... but to be honest, more than anything ... It ticked me off. :ignore:
LOL,like those smiley face sales at WalMart.Mak down is not all that much.They will hike up the price the week before the mark down.

·
Good ole country folk
421 Posts
I've taken to keeping a small spiral notebook in my purse. When I go to stores and see products I normally use or stock up on, I make a note of the price and what store...makes it easier to keep track of.
Great idea--we have a benchmark of all of our staples begining in December. We will be double checking current prices against this list in the immediate future and post result here.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts

Someone on another blog mentioned lifting a sale sticker to find a lower price...it happens...maybe a clerk/employee not paying attention??
But, it happens.
I do know of instances where they marked up to mark down...what evil hypocrites!!!

I also was pizzed with Kmart taking their 50% off labels from the canning jars I was buying..in other words, if I had been 30 minutes later, I wouldn't have gotten them for 4.50 and 4.99.....Hmmmm.

Who ends a sale at 2:00 in the afternoon???duh.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
According to the Extreme Couponing ladies, their advice is to go to stores beginning at 8pm and there are usually salespeople marking down prices and stocking. And bring your coupons too.
They have a cellphone app that I can't remember the name that your cellphone scans the barcode and the app will tell you the lower prices of the same product in your area. It's something called "Life Scan" or something. I can't remember it. I was flipping through the channels and on that Nate show they were discussing it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Today, i went grocery shopping.
I bought bell peppers, asparagus, mushrooms, and lettuce. I bought two packages of felafel/tabouli mix (organic and easier to make than hours by hand), I also bought a can of garbanzo beans, 16oz of plain yogurt, and because I was hungry right then and now I bought a bag of chips and a
frozen pizza. For the weekend, I bought 2 frozen Amy's Enchiladas for "just cause".

Guess how much this cost me? $60.85!!! I had 2 BAGS OF FOOD!
I saw $7 bag of chips (i bought the $2.99), $3.98/lb asparagus, $1.99 bananas, etc....prices went UP AGAIN TWICE THIS WEEK. Holy crap, folks. . . I can't wait for my garden to produce something! :gaah:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
$1.99 bananas !!! :eek: I hope that was by the bunch not per pound. Around here they are running around 50 cent per pound.

I have started shopping on Mondays, lots of sells from the weekend. Bananas 25 cents per pound. Yes, they are starting to turn but great for drying.

And no way am I going to pay $7 for a bag of chips ... :eek:

Centraltn is right also ... no end in sight.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
4 years ago I paid $9.99 for a bag of chips in the middle of nowhere Alaska because I was absolutely starving and hours away from the nearest town. There was a random store on the side of the road that sold nothing but alcohol, cigarettes, and chips. I think keychains as well but you can't eat those! Can you imagine what that same store is selling those chips 4 years later? Probably $13.99

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just stopped at our little village store, they are normally high , but i like getting my butcher cut meats there, but while browsing I notice alum. foil , name brand, a 200 foot roll was , hold on ...... $9.69 .. ( I had stocked up some from the flea market earily spring, same brand for 75 ft for $1.00 ) I got all the lady had whick was 7 rollls.
Bananas are 79 a pound there,
about all I buy there is coupons things that they have on sale , an meats. They have great meat sales.. an even then I make sure it a bargin.

Years ago our local store carried pork en beans for 32 cents a can but on "sale" they were 3 cans for a doller, duuuuuuuuuuuu

Some thing we have to watch for around Christmas is stores had big sale items to catch your eye but come time to pay the cash res. rings up normal price.. an if you correct the sales lady she knows it for she don't even ask to have it checked...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our store had Father's Day pre-packaged gifts that consisted of 2 small spice bottles and a small book on BBQ recipes in cellophane without any basket. $46.99, with our tax it comes out to $50.75 :nuts:

·
Registered
983 Posts
The eldest member of our church died yesterday. A dear lady 93yrs young. She had raised 15 children. I went to purchase some sandwich fixings and beverages for the family. Nothing fancy. Bread, cheese, tomatoes, lunchmeat and chips. $62.00. I will be preparing meals for them from my pantry can't afford to buy at the store any more.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts