How many HAM radio operators on forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by bunkerbob, Dec 17, 2009.

1. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

How many licensed HAM radio operators do we have on the forum. Just curios. As you can tell I'm a HAM operator, and by the way so is my wife, both Tech class right now. I have been studying for my General license, but have soooo much to do. Here is some of my gear...as a note when I built the house I wired it for 12VDC also, the shack uses that for power. One photo is of my truck radio, another my travel trailer, and my handheld units.
    Remember HAM is a acronym for "Had Alot of Money":2thumb:
    Show some photos of your radio shack.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. bunkerbob

Here are some of the 12VDC outlets in the house... if you are going to build plan ahead, also these did not hinder the permit process even here in Calif., probably one of the most strict anywhere.

Attached Files:

3. tyler_kd0bsa

tyler_kd0bsa Well-Known Member

I am a general class operator. One thing you might consider and it's up to your preferences but all my radios have Anderson powerpoles for power connections and I've collected lots of different adapters to go along with them.

4. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

I'm a licensed amateur radio operator in Canada with my "basic" certification. No shack pic's... all my stuff is mobile and handheld.

5. WinOregon

WinOregon Member

Have had my Tech license for a couple of years - KE7PUJ. But don't consider myself a Ham. I only got my ticket because I am active in my city's CERT program. We use 2 meter rigs to communicate between the neighborhood CERT teams and the EOC.

I have a YAESU FT-8800R 2m/440, a YAESU VX-6R tri-bander, and a YAESU FT-1802 2m.

Doubt if I will get my General - Like you say its real expensive and I have two many hobbies now.

Regards WinOregon

6. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

Looking at those pictures that you took of your 12-volt system makes me wonder why you used that design. You probably have a good reason to (as you usually do) ... but, I was surprised that you didn't use an RV-style 12-volt receptical as shown in the attached picture where you can attach it directly to a standard electrical box and have nothing hanging from it.

Attached Files:

7. northernontario

northernontario Well-Known Member

The downside to that style of 12v connection (cigarette-lighter) is the center pin... it's just not a good connection point. I always have issues in vehicles with those connections, because the center pin doesn't make a good connection.

If I was going to do dedicated 12v stuff, I'd look at the anderson powerpole connections.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

It seems that I have used those products before without realizing it ..

Anderson Power - Products Brands

I have those kinds of connections for my quick-disconnect winch and used them on battery-operated fork-lifts. Worked very well.

9. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

Ham radio

Four of us are licensed (my wife and I and two youngest kids). We use it more locally. Our "base" unit is a mobile (65 watt max.) unit for a vehicle mounted in the cabin. Two handhelds finish it off. We have no cell service at our residence and I spend a lot of time in the woods/mountains so we wanted something to keep communication open. There are long stretches here with no cell service and we find that we can still stay in touch by using repeaters.

KE7JYC

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  10. bountyhunter26

bountyhunter26 Well-Known Member

Technician here in Georgia KJ4SCS

11. bunkerbob

I'm really proud of the group I met here locally. At one of our first meetings I asked them all "how serious are you about being prepared, how many of you have a Ham license and radios and practice with them." I then talked to them about the importance of communication post wshtf and how would we communicate. Not one had a license, but had made plans to get one in the future.
    Yesterday, I received a email from one of the women in the group telling me she had passed her tech license last weekend, she now is the second person to get their Ham cert in the last month. Most are practicing for the tests and getting the necessary radios.
    I plan on starting a once a month net meeting to hone our radio skills and operating procedures. Next is have them take the FEMA emergency management course independent study program -IS- series for emergency response teams. These were required study for the RACES group that I belong to here.

12. sidecutter

sidecutter Member

Getting started

What equipment would you all recommend to get started ? The communication aspect of preparedeness I believe is very important.

13. bunkerbob

I have a ICOM IC-706MKIIG in my truck and in my shack. These or any small multi-band radios and are good for all types of communication. I have a YAESU VR-5 for one of my handhelds, it is a tri-band with AM receiving capibilities for aircraft and more.
    There are so many radios to choose from read reviews fro Ham sites for more info...ARRLWeb: ARRL Home Page
    QRZ.COM Callsign Database
    eHam.net Home - Amateur Radio (Ham Radio) Community Site
    There are many more.

14. sidecutter

sidecutter Member

Radio

Thanks Bunkerbob perhaps some day soon we can talk by way of radio. Is it possible to talk from the hill country of tx to ca. Years ago maybe 1970's I new a person who's father owned a system and could talk to people in ohio. Later today I'll look up those pages. For now the weather is perfect , so I'm outside to work in the garden. Seedlings are doing great. thanks for your help

15. bunkerbob

I'm working on my General class license right now, will open up a tremendous amount of freqs. for long distance comms.
    My seedlings are in distress for some reason this year, hope most will make it. Just came in from rototilling an extension for my orchard. Temp is 75 degrees above 0:D

16. Airedale7s

Airedale7s New Member

Tech class in So. Cal. KG6CIV
    Haven't been very active lately. I have a Yaesu VHF setup in my jeep and a Yaesu multi-band hand-held.

Cheers,
    Airedale7s

17. bunkerbob

WELCOME, :welcome:Airedale7s from a long time preparer. Look forward to your replies and posts.
    Where are you in So. Cal, I'm located near Temecula. If you look at my website in my signature it will show some photos.

18. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

I'm an outlaw, always have been, will never change, I'd like to have some form of Commo gear but more for use after the SHTF.. not into getting lic.

As for your gear BB, I had a Halicrafter Receiver back in the middle 60's and it was as big as your radio room!!!... bout the size of a VW beetle... I used a copper long line (?) and pulled in everything there was out there... I guess in bad time's I'd rather listen then transmit.. I figger if they can find my cell phone out of about 5 billion of the damn things they can find me transmitting..

Tin Foil anybody?

19. laylow

laylow Active Member

KJ6DMS, Southern California.

20. 91004

91004 Tannerite goes boom!

WB3JWS
    Latitude: 40.309461 (40° 18' 34'' N)
    Longitude: -76.591522 (76° 35' 29'' W)
    Grid Square: FN10QH

Far enough away to advert disaster, close enough to see you............ Its game time

Home of the Mennonite Mafia!!!