Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how many people are any of you prepping for? How many of you will have 4 or less? More than 12? will any of you be including friend as well as family? what will / are you doing differently because of the numbers? I am just curious? I will have 3 people plus 1 84 yo that at this time still feels the best place to be is the city and only has about a 2 week supply of food.
If my DD comes with SO and child, that would be the most to except. If others were to come what would you expect for them?

·
Militia Supply Commander
6 Posts
We are prepping for 14. This includes married children and grandchildren. They are also prepping for their immediate families. Our thoughts are that if we are all prepping for ourselves and we are prepping for additional persons we will be more than ready. Our goal is to be prepared to live for a year entirely off the grid. This should give us enough time to get established.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Right now, it is mainly the 4 of us, but we also have my sister and her 2 kids we think about along with my SIL, MIL, and FIL who live with us in the same house. They are ill prepared as far as I can tell and are always coming down to "borrow" some milk, eggs, etc., so I have my doubts the SIL is prepared for anything. I posted up about this in another thread. I think we are about 75% there on beans, maybe 50% on band-aids and maybe 25% on bullets if we are shooting for a year's worth. We are short on water storage, as space is an issue. If we start talking about sharing with the in laws and my sister's family, we are down to maybe 2 months with rationing.:(

·
2 Posts
I was prepping for 10 but then the rest of them thought I was crazy and backed out. BTW does anyone have a good estimate on a good number of supplies for two adults and two children?

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
If all our kids, their spouses, and our grandkids showed up, there would be 22 of us. The number would grow as most grandkids join the family.

They've all been told to store some stuff up here, and some have. The rest have been told they better show up with whatever they can haul, and everyone be prepared to help wtih the work.

genesis, what time length are you wondering about, for supplies for 2 adults and 2 children? A month, a year, ??? Somewhere on this site there's a thread with a food calculator. If I can find it, I'll put the link on here for you.

bczoom - :lolsmash: That's what I wondered, for "FH"! Glad you asked! Now we're all waiting on the edge of our seats!

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ha, I found it on another thread, down in General Homesteading discussion!

FH = Future Husband! Salek is getting marries in another month!

Woo-hoo, congrats, Salek! Best wishes!

:D

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
food for eight, other resources (clothes, shoes, coats, blankets, bolts of cloth, fuel, lights, medicine, ammo etc etc) :dunno: a rationing system is in place, but... :gaah:

·
1,182 Posts
FH = ??? Honestly, the only thing that came to my mind was "Fat Husband". :eek:

In general, I'm prepping for 4 but have spare should I opt to assist others and/or for bartering.
HAHAHA! Oh Zoom. That was funny! My "Future" husband. :)

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
Right now just the 8 of us. I am honestly just prepping all that I can. I don't know that I will ever have enough for just the 8 of us if we continue to live in the house we do because we just do not have enough space to store stuff and we do not have enough property to grow all of our own food.
My mom and brother would not come here....they are stocked up a little bit. My MIL would not come here unless the world actually came to an end and neither would my BIL/SIL. my sister and her 4 kids would go to my mom's before coming here.
I believe that the ONLY reason anyone would come to my house is if there is a TOTAL collapse of society! If that were the case I am not sure how far my preps would go for just the 8 of us let alone adding in other people.

·
1,182 Posts
Ha ha ha ha ha, I found it on another thread, down in General Homesteading discussion!

FH = Future Husband! Salek is getting marries in another month!

Woo-hoo, congrats, Salek! Best wishes!

:D
Thank you so much Sue! I can feel your excitement through the computer! That really made me happy! :kiss: We hijacked the post long enough!

Also, since I'm moving a long way from my family, all the preps that I have in place in my parent's household will stay for them to use. I will just start over fresh for myself.

I will probably keep the cache up to date when I visit so that way if we have to make the trek back to Johnstown for emergencies, it will be there for my FH and my immediate use, along with my parents, my brothers and my brother's girlfriend. My parents are not preppers in any way but I've warned my mother several times to use and rotate the canned food so that it stays fresh and pay attention to the what is being used in the first aid kit and to immediately replace it. We'll see how she fares when I move out.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Right now I am just concerning myself with my wife and myself. Both of our families live nearby, but since this area will be impossible to defend, I am concentrating for the immediate future on remaining mobile and agile. My dad lives close enough that it would be easy enough to get there, and it's a lot more defensible than any other nearby option.

Hopefully, if we have any sort of warning, we have a vacation house about four hours away that will be a much better location.

Either way, I am only counting on my wife and me.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
I'm prepping for myself, my wife, my 21 year old stepson, and his girlfriend. His girlfriend's family isn't prepping so we're prepping for her to live with us when it hits the fan but she's unaware of it. So it's 4. I'd like to prep for my wife's sister too but she's married and there's no way I could stand to have him live with us too. He has physical and mental problems. If something happened to him she'd move to live with her daughter in Texas and they're not prepping either. So I'm trying to decide if we stock enough water for 5 people instead of 4 just in case she comes to live with us for some reason.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
I'm prepping for myself, my wife, my 21 year old stepson, and his girlfriend. His girlfriend's family isn't prepping so we're prepping for her to live with us when it hits the fan but she's unaware of it. So it's 4. I'd like to prep for my wife's sister too but she's married and there's no way I could stand to have him live with us too. He has physical and mental problems. If something happened to him she'd move to live with her daughter in Texas and they're not prepping either. So I'm trying to decide if we stock enough water for 5 people instead of 4 just in case she comes to live with us for some reason.
IMO it's hard to prep for people that aren't open to doing even the most basic things to prepare for even a short-term event with a BOB.

I used to not be so harsh, but after being laughed at, called names, and turned into a pariah by those I thought were friends... EF' EM, EF' EM ALL :gaah:

·
Supporting Member
3,312 Posts
There are 4 in the house, and that's my primary concern. I have an older son that no longer lives at home and is quite a bit away from here, but he'd be welcome (he'd also be a good worker and is a prepper/survivalist himself). My parents (in their 80's) would also be welcome - both lived through the depression, although dad doesn't seem to think it could happen again. Mom does, and is proud of my prepping, and trying to do a little herself even though Dad holds tight to the purse strings.

So it's 4 that are my primary concern, but 3 more that I keep in the back of my mind, just in case.

My siblings fall into the I'm-not-responsible-for-their-poor-decisions category. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I only prepare for one, because I live alone. J' have a dog, but I l' much likes. I thought my family of the preparation for a part also. They do not know that I prepare. They do not cover, why you would have to prepare. What do you think?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts