How long have you been prepping?

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by twilightbluff, Nov 24, 2008.

1. Kriket

Kriket Liq Plumber on ur tin hat

:ita:

We had a windstorm from Ike last September and I believe I was the only one still living in my house for the 8 days w/o power that followed.

I was born this way :) I have been "prepping" all my life. When I was a kid my dad lost his job for 6 months. I didn't even know we were living on zero income with the utilities shut off until my mom was talking about it as an adult. I moved to the city when I was 18 and have been trying to get back to where I was ever since. (6ish years)

2. Scavengerhill

Scavengerhill Off Grid Farmer

I've been waiting since I was about six years old. I 'll really be ready when the house is built, although I have sustainable energy, water supply and heat already on the thirty acre mountain plot. Hurr.

3. 101airborne

101airborne Well-Known Member

i guess I've been a "prepper" since I was a child back in the 60's and early 70's. Back then it was called being self-sufficent or bein' a country boy. I grew up gardening,fishing,hunting,foraging, herbing and such. It's just moved a step further and I am stocking up on the three B's as well. ( Beans,Bullets,Bandaids) We are currently sitting on about 18-20 months of food supplies, several hundred gallons of fuel for our 3 generators and our vehicles, enough medical supplies for a small clinic or ER. Just added another 1,000 rounds of .22 ammo bringing my ammo totals ( all calibers,gauges) to some 40,000 rounds. Have about 400 gallons of stored water (we also have a well) I/we still garden and have fruit trees and berry bushes/plants as well.

4. Akaalbany

Akaalbany Akaalbany

Kinda always been a prepper too. Grew up in a house where canned goods and dry goods have always been really important. Has come in handy over the years with hour cuts and when I got cancer and got "laid off". At least I was able to keep food on the table.:(

5. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

I hear ya! We grew up poor, but food was never short around the house. Grandparents and my mother made sure of it. Between gardening and canning what we grew food was always in stock. My relatives come from the Ausable area upstate new york. Hope your feeling better.

6. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Have always been food preservers, etc., but recently started doing actual prepping for events out of our control.

7. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I have been prepping seriously since Hurricane Andrew. It is becomming a way of life for me.:cool:

8. survivalboy12895

survivalboy12895 Active Member

Hmmmmmmmm....I've been for about 18 months now!!

9. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Well I'm sure you all know that I have been in the preparedness frame of mind for all of my adult life, but it started long before that, and as J.D.Y. noted, my family was on alert during the Cuban missile crisis also. I was born and raised a Mormon early on, and we were always prepared to some extent. My mother even showed us the manhole covers and water drain holes that were on our way to school we should take cover in, just in case.
    We honed our skills with backpacking, rock climbing and mountaineering with the San Diego chapter of the Sierra Club when it was in its infancy back in the late fifties and early sixties. My father, uncle and friends including Henry Mandolf, were involved in compiling and publishing the 'Basic Mountaineering Course' book, which, I believe is still around to this day. My father, did the illustrations for it also, the family you see hiking in the book is ours, all 5 members.
    Once in the military I took all the classes I could to expand my knowledge, even courses on handgun reloading was offered on base back then.
    I still have all of the long term food that I started back in the 70's, even after old friends that were into it back then, have long since disposed of theirs.:dunno:

10. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

I think i started to prepare when i was in the scouts. I really started to prep after the Air Force, when I had a family to think of. I have always been a hoarder. I buy storage units and go to yard sales and watch several auction sites. I have been involved in the Fire service since just before my 16 birthday. When I went in search of a site to help me put things in order, I found this site first. As I have been reading through this site I have become very involved assessing what i have gathered in materials in a my lifetime. A lot of what i thought was junk to be sold at auction or in our yard sales has now been gone through and placed on my keep shelves. I have never been a gardener, but i plan on putting in a small one this year as soon as it gets warm. We have nearly 700 canning jars ( all free ) of various sizes and all the canning materials and equipment and hope to know haw to fill them soon. My wife and i are in the process of down sizing our lives. No need for the big house and all the furnishings. I will retire in 24 months and move somewhere else. Calif is not for us. We will be looking for another place where we build our modest house, but totally off the grid. We will be looking for an area a couple hours from a city where you can shop for the thing you just gotta have. Shallow water, 2-20 acres, good soil, seclude enough that i can build a shelter without big brother knowing about it. I'm looking forward to reading everyones messages and learning more. I have saved every spent cartridge since i was 11 years old, and i'm looking at a reloader for my rifles. already have a reloader for our shotguns. I have 3 moving boxes of hulls to reload. That will be my winter project next year. I could use some advice on a good canning book. We have a large pressure cooker and a large water canner. I have looked through so many different books and they all have different ideas and methods. I really need one book that works.

11. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

12. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Well-Known Member

I think it's more pick one method and stick to it, for each type of food, your location and the availability of 'root cellar' shelf space. Different types of food storage are optimal for those in differing circumstances, and what works great with abundant labor works poorly without it. 6 kids over 8 years old are assets, 6 kids UNDER 8 mean you do nothing else.. ;)

Waterbath is easy, but works well on acidic foods and very sweet ones, and those 'spiked' with alcohol (brandied peaches)..

Pressure cooking is sho' nuff professional, will even kill/prevent botulism, highly recommended for meat, or anything tough/hard. Supposing you had the jars to spare, you can even store beans precooked in pint or quart jars. Granma cut corners too, when she could. Canning has one prime virtue, in that it prevents waste of free food. Operative word 'free', meaning WILL be wasted if not canned. Between the heat, work, pitifully small quantities, and vast supply of help to eat it, home canning isn't an adventure. It is salvage.

Don't even dream of buying stuff retail and canning it..

13. Asatrur

It is about growing your own and preserving rather than buying stuff. I will it does make sense to buy retail veggies, etc. and can it unless you get a really good deal like at a farmer market or directly from the farm.

14. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Husband and I have been in prep mode long before Y2K

15. Asatrur

Freyadog,
    May I ask where your name comes from?
    In Frith,
    Devin

16. Grizz

Grizz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info

17. worldengineer

worldengineer Well-Known Member

I got started with primitive survival in 8th grade.(still a hobby). I was to young in 9/11 to understand what it was about. I started my BOB not long after learning primitive survival skills. Currently started prepping for all scenarios. Snow storms are common in my area so I lean towards lack of power, and inability to grow food. Or the lack of a government to keep the hoarde in their homes when the SHTF.

18. SurviveNthrive

SurviveNthrive a dude

My mother was in Hawaii before and during World War II. They faced forms or limitations beyond rationing and she always kept some extra stuff. Dad grew up during the Depression. Imagine working hard and not being able to put away much at all. We never suffered, enjoyed a comfy life but I learned about hard times young. They weren't too worried about the Cold War because the truth was, if that went, we all go.

In the 1970's I was aware of survivalism and it continued in the 1980's. I'd read several of the books, but wasn't as aware there was some more to it, companies catering, a few magazines and such, ASG being one until the early 1980's. Met an individual who practiced a form of survivalism that puts almost everyone here to shame. Through some unfortunate events, I guess he took on the government and WON because he vanished so he taught me only a faction of what he knew.

19. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

I have been trying to prep or at least keep some extra food on hand all of my adult life. My mom is not against prepping but she does not prep. I did not grow up with more than a large freezer full of extra food in the house. My DH's mom, who is single, is NOT a prepper! If she has more than three days worth of food for just herself on hand I would be amazed!! That would be counting frozen TV dinners!