Prepared Society Forum banner

How Is Your Food Storage?

5K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  keepitlow 
Food Storage

My family currently has a one year supply of Mountain House, which as most people know, has a shelf life of at least 20-30 years.

For shorter term needs, we are experimenting with hydroponic gardening. I have a good supply of basic nutrients (not the pre-mixed store-bought variety) and recently have ordered some amazing LED grow lights which only consume 8 watts each (we will be living off-grid in another year or two). They can be used as a supplement to natural lighting and even in an underground location as a sole light source in an emergency. Here is a link to the website if anyone is interested:

LED Grow Lights for Growing Plants Indoors- Garden Efficiently

Since I live in Costa Rica, we are re-developing my abandoned farm by planting lots of tropical fruit trees and other local crops which can stand the altitude (2,000 meters or 6,000 feet). Recently we had excellent success with a small planting of potatoes without using any commercial fertilizers or pesticides.

A friend and I have also reclaimed some pasture land and bought a breed of cows called Semintal, which are good for both milk and meat, and are very hearty. I also made a small lake last year and stocked it with trout, and they are growing very fast.

Finally, if I know in advance that the world will end, I will rush down to the local supermarket and buy lots of candy bars and a million big Macs at McDonald's using my credit cards, which should keep my junk food requirements filled :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.