Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to delete the 'religion' section from the forum?

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
It certainly is turning into a war zone isn't it?

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I kind of think that it gives a barometer as to people's real character. Amazing how people who are well mannered in the rest of the forums grow fangs in the religous forum. I find it rather entertaining.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Sorry....

[BI kinda have fun with it... guess that's a bad thing...huh? :D:D[/B]

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just think it's a bad thing when members openly quit because of it, or if new members come in & think that that is the status quo of the board... :dunno:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
... to delete the 'religion' section from the forum?
Blob, They're all trying to stand for something before they fall for anything!:D:D:D:eek::surrender:

·
edirPsmaP
1,587 Posts
I think the regulars were well behaved until someone new came in and stirred the pot...were they not? I have just popped in once in a while so I could be wrong about that.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
I have made some minor changes to the Religion and Politics sections - you have to be logged into the system in order to view them both. I am also considering shutting down all posts in there and make it a "request-to-post" section where people would have to read the rules fully and completely before they would be allowed to post (it would be on an individual basis). I can make it so that anyone logged in can read, but, not post.

I would create alot of extra work for me, but, if it has to be done, it might just be done ...

I really don't care for the religion and politics section because most members cannot (or will not) follow the rules that state that both sections are for discussion that affects preppers and it is not a section to convince others that their views are wrong ...

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
I have made some minor changes to the Religion and Politics sections - you have to be logged into the system in order to view them both. I am also considering shutting down all posts in there and make it a "request-to-post" section where people would have to read the rules fully and completely before they would be allowed to post (it would be on an individual basis). I can make it so that anyone logged in can read, but, not post.

I would create alot of extra work for me, but, if it has to be done, it might just be done ...

I really don't care for the religion and politics section because most members cannot (or will not) follow the rules that state that both sections are for discussion that affects preppers and it is not a section to convince others that their views are wrong ...
You are right NK and I plead guilty, actually I was just stiring the pot so I'm really one who should get smacked.. I promise I will refrain from doing it anymore..
But it is sometimes kinda fun...
I'm sorry troops! I'll play well with others from now on and will try to not run with sharp objects...
My Bad
HB

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
NaeKid, UncleJoe, et al, I agree with your concerns regarding the uncivility on the political and religion posts (I have to agree with Hozay too about a stimulating discussion :)), but this is a prepper forum.

Bad politics and violent or repressive religions can directly affect the welfare of every member of this forum. The rise of N azism occurred because of bad politics coupled with a desperate but short-sighted German population.

911, the KKK, and Jim Jones with his 700 Kool Aid dead, etc etc, were all the result of a perverted power of religion.

I believe we, as preppers, should be able to discuss these threats -- yes -- in a civilized fashion. So.............JMHO, but I believe religion and politics are valid and valuable discussions for preppers as long as they relate to prepping. I hope those topics remain without having to jump through too many hoops to participate.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
like torture, looks like the threat of closing the section is working out better than actually doing it

:2thumb:

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
Let's see how long it lasts. :dunno:

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
NaeKid, UncleJoe, et al, I agree with your concerns regarding the uncivility on the political and religion posts (I have to agree with Hozay too about a stimulating discussion :)), but this is a prepper forum.

Bad politics and violent or repressive religions can directly affect the welfare of every member of this forum. The rise of N azism occurred because of bad politics coupled with a desperate but short-sighted German population.

911, the KKK, and Jim Jones with his 700 Kool Aid dead, etc etc, were all the result of a perverted power of religion.

I believe we, as preppers, should be able to discuss these threats -- yes -- in a civilized fashion. So.............JMHO, but I believe religion and politics are valid and valuable discussions for preppers as long as they relate to prepping. I hope those topics remain without having to jump through too many hoops to participate.
That is the reason why I haven't totally killed-off those two sections - because we need to know, but, we cannot have a xxxxxxxxx person trying to convince a yyyyyyyyy person that their views are wrong. We need to use those sections to warn other preppers about upcoming decisions by the PTB that could affect them. Sometimes the PTB is in politics and sometimes is in religion - but - there is always someone trying to control others.

I don't wanna control everyone that uses this board, but, I would like to have adults sharing information in a self-controlled manner - fingers that fly over the keyboard with insults because someone else insulted them (either on purpose or accident) is wrong - pure-n-simple.

Both the Religion and Politics sections seem to be a breeding-ground for those kinds of problems and I don't like it.

If I have to be the PTB and specifically enforce rules, I will have to - but - not because I want to ...

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
NK, ya got my vote! NK for pres!:beercheer:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Ah Horseman

You just like the excuse to drink a beer to it.... so fill my glass I'll join ya...:beercheer:..and have one on me!! :beercheer::beercheer:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You just like the excuse to drink a beer to it.... so fill my glass I'll join ya...:beercheer:..and have one on me!! :beercheer::beercheer:
LOL right you are, Hozay. I'm suckin' on a Black and Tan right now. :beercheer:

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
like torture, looks like the threat of closing the section is working out better than actually doing it

:2thumb:
And spread to the rest of the forum ... reading new post didn't take long this morning.

Then again it may be the holiday weekend ???

·
I am a little teapot
2,696 Posts
I haven't been on much lately because of my unexpected home time. I've been winterizing the farm, getting equipment ready for cutting wood this winter, and making up as best I can for lost time with my son, who grew like a weed this summer.

As far as the religion section goes I don't post there much but I do like to peruse it once in a while and I hate the thought of it closing. It does, as Blob said, seem that people are listening to UncleJoe's reminder of forum conduct so I hope this one settles down and everyone gets along a little better.

We have a fairly large, diverse group here and sometimes discussion will become heated. We have mods to diffuse things and we are all capable of acting like adults and reminding folks of expected conduct. I hope this course of action works here, and from what I've read it seems that it is.

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
...As far as the religion section goes I don't post there much...
I never go in.

The only reason I did is because I took 7 posts from the "End of the world starts May 21st" thread and moved them to religion when it started turning into a debate.

I guess it needs watched a little closer to prevent things from going that far again.

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
Prez??? Of the USA? Hell-no!!! I don't even wanna be the prime-dude of Canada!!

I just wanna be an "unknown" - doin' what I have to do, keep my nose clean and outta the news. I don't wanna havta say "sorry" to all the nitwits of the world who feel that their feelings got hurt when I tell them to go and fornicate themselves .. I don't want some trump'd up charges of whatever (like with WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange) to send me into hiding ...

Ya, it seems like when someone in a place-of-power makes decisions that are not what their "handlers" want, then charges of sexual misconduct are brought-up ... seems like the easiest way to get the guys out of their position of power ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts