How far is your BOL???

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by pioneergirl, May 11, 2010.

1. pioneergirl

pioneergirl Junior Member

I don't have one at the moment, but have often thought of an underground home, subterranian style, hidden door, etc. somewhere close , as in, just a few acres away.

How far is your BOL? Is it hidden or something simple?

2. Jerry D Young

Jerry D Young Well-Known Member

It's my brother's place 250 miles away. No shelter, but the means to make one quickly.

3. roaringaslan

roaringaslan Member

I don't have one yet either...

ideally i'd like to relocate to somewhere more south of here, i'm thinking new mexico. i'd like to make my permanent home my BOL, and be well defended and prepared for any inevitability. thats the dream.

4. ZoomZoom

ZoomZoom Rookie Prepper

My BOL is about 1 mile away. I wouldn't want to go too in the event the family is on-foot.

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I do not have one yet either. Our plans are to eventually buy land in WV and live there. So we will Bug-In here or there if/when we buy acreage.

6. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Beneath my feet!! Ready to go.

7. pioneergirl

I had thought of some place far, but like someone said, if we're on foot, I don't want to be hiking for 3 days, lol. At the moment, I'm having a SHTF scenario with the in-laws, so we are looking for land now. If things had gone well, we'd have had this place to defend, and if need be, a bunker about 20 acres behind us, as a temporary hide out so to speak if it got too bad for us to defend. Now? If we find land, we'll be building a cob home, with a better ability to defend it.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

RoaringAslan, you are describing a Bug-In-Location which is where you primary residence is. Normally a BOL is a place within 1/2-tank of fuel (or about a 2hr drive) where you can go to escape the local problems.

A flood would be considered a local problem. There is a small city just south of Calgary that floods quite easily. For them, to get away from the floods, it might be best for them to head into the city where flooding is less-likely (but, does happen from time-to-time).

A fire would be considered a local problem where you may need to relocate several blocks away (neighborhood fire) or relocate a couple hours away (forest fire / wild fire).

For me, I have several locations planned as BOL. My primary BOL is about a 1hr drive north-west of my home. It is an area called "crown-land" that isn't owned by anyone, so, I am allowed to random-camp, hunt, fish, etc in that area without hassle. My camper is setup for long-term living and it won't take me long to reach there.

I have two equally important BOL's - one due-north about 45minutes to a friend's 10acre lot and the other due-south about 2hrs to another friend's location with crown-land to live off of. Heading north would take me to tornado-alley and south would take me to fire-valley. Depending on the season, I may need to head either way if I cannot BugIn.

Finally - I have a friend with 10 acres south-east of my home. We have talked about this, and, unless I have nowhere else to go, I will be welcome for weekend visits - no extended stays.

9. roaringaslan

roaringaslan Member

hmmm...

I guess I am in trouble then! I don't think there is really any unclaimed land around where I am currently. Lots of farmland, but I'd probably get chased off of it! I'll look into nearby govt land, and see what I come up with. In the case of a minor emergency, I could go to family about an hour away probably. But if SHTF, if the govt falls apart, I guess there won't be anyone to stop me from settling on some govt land and building a shelter, etc.

10. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

In Canada, any government owned land is called CrownLand or a National or Provincial park. In the park areas, I cannot do anything but walk carefully around all the tourists. I cannot hunt, only camp in a registered campground ... etc.

CrownLand is set aside for ranchers to free-range their cattle, set aside for logging, set aside for oil-n-gas ... and ... set aside for offroaders (quads, motorbikes, 4x4s) to enjoy nature.

I don't know much about Nebraska, but, I believe there is something called the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and, I am not sure how much they control the government owned lands in Nebraska. My Google-search didn't turn up any information beyond the BLM and horses in Nebraska. Some interesting information about the Mustang was read, but, it didn't help me answer your question.

Talking with hunters might locate the answers you seek for random-camping (aka: BoonDocking) and living off the government land (squatting).

11. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

Right now trying to set up location with my daughters - don't have sons - about 50 miles away. Accessible via bike trails, if highways unavailable.
    But sadly in prelim stage of discussion.
    Had planned on hunkering down. But home is indefensible - E. St Louis is way tooo close.

12. pioneergirl

I hear ya....being close to major cities can be a problem. We're looking at some land in SC, it seems to be a fair distance from anything too major. There is a medium/large size trailer park very close by, so I'm looking at cost of good fencing should we decide to invest. Of course, a good fence is just an obstacle, but what lies beyond the fence....well....heehee.

13. CCWriter

CCWriter New Member

All Knowing Hubby

Eons ago, while we were still renting after a house fire, my beloved whined until he got his way: 10 acres that backed up to LOTS of gov't land. Over the years, we've paid it off and fixed it up a little. It is 2 hrs from our present location, but we couldn't have picked better. Well hidden, lots of game, fairly good soil, and a hermit that makes sure our things are not messed with. Sweet.

14. Sourdough

Sourdough ExCommunicated

Basically I am living on my BOL, but if I got pushed off, I would fall back to abandoned miners cabins that I have found in my wanderings.

15. HozayBuck

HozayBuck Well-Known Member

Well, today I'm sitting in it, tomorrow I start a 1800 mile trip away from it to my other BOL..it's the in between I'd have to worry about . I do watch the goings on in the world, as much of it as you can believe, the Lib media don't tell us much worth knowing..

I try to haul enough stuff with me to make a decent start at least wherever I may have to hole up..

16. TimB

TimB Member

(Off-topic) :p
    Have a safe trip, HB. :beercheer:

Tim

17. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

Have a safe trip, but I gotta ask, does the conservative media do any better?