Prepared Society Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10,753 Posts
The entire thread is a complete lie. In the 1800's and 1900's the weather was a perfect ranged from 31 degrees in the deep winter to 75 degrees in the summer. It is only hot now because of Global Warming. At least that's what Al Gore told me. ;)

·
Supporting Member
3,243 Posts
We live in an old Victorian built in 1908. It's built on top of a hill facing north. There are two 60ft+ tall magnolias in the front, it's 10 degrees cooler under a magnolia. There are 25 windows in the downstairs alone, all of which are 9ft tall. There are 13ft ceilings throughout the downstairs. All the doors have transom windows above them. There's a 10ft wide hallway that runs from the front door to the back door, both upstairs & down. Even in the dead heat of August, there's a slight breeze. The attached kitchen is original to the house. The house was built without electricity & has 2 layer thick solid wood walls with rock wool in between.

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
I'll throw in my $.02 on the subject.

I was born and raised in North Texas, never had AC the whole time I was at home. I remember it being hot but we knew where every swimming hole, creek and river access was and we used them.

Like it was said before, you work in the mornings and evenings and do as little as possible during the heat of the day. Way back when, homes(again as said before) were built to exploit every possible advantage nature had to offer and some were pretty comfortable even during the mid summer heat.

The attached picture is of a "Dog-Run" cabin which was typical of settlers of this area, my brother and I played in this one when it was at its original location. It was on a creek, nested in a stand of Burr Oaks and when the temps were 100+ the cabin was cool inside.

Most of us wont be able to run off and live in one of these when TSHTF but thats how it was done before AC or Electricity.

A month or so ago I put a small room AC in my grandparents(98&99yo) sitting room, the first one they ever had and they lived for almost 100 years with out it and survived pretty well. Their house is on a hill, in a grove of oak trees and it gets all the wind that blows.

Attachments

·
594 Posts
My grandparents told me they would sleep outside or in the basement when it was real hot in Sacramento, had lots of trees too, still does.

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
One of the best things you can do if you live where it gets hot is to buy the reflective window screens for your east, west, and south facing windows. That keeps the windows much cooler which cuts down your solar heat gain.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
One of the best things you can do if you live where it gets hot is to buy the reflective window screens for your east, west, and south facing windows. That keeps the windows much cooler which cuts down your solar heat gain.
Thanks Will follow through on that

·
Texan
5,950 Posts
You can always go cheap and ******* on the reflective window screens, use aluminum foil with the shiny side out.

A quick spritz of water on the inside of the window pane and the foil will stick to the glass like you used glue, it's quick and easy to peel off when cool weather sets in.

We do this every summer and it makes a huge difference, its very noticeable on the electric bill also.

Another way to make a big difference is to use LED lights, dramatically cuts the heat load, makes sense for when the SHTF, they only take a fraction of the power if you produce your own electricity.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Hubby and I were discussing this today. Modern homes are all about saving power (yada yada global warming :lalala:) They are great for keeping the status quo (keep the warm in in winter and the hot out in summer via insulation), older homes were built to take advantage of every local warming/cooling avenue available.

This is why a blanket building code DOES NOT WORK. If I put floor to ceiling windows on the south side of my house (in the Southern Hemisphere) it counts as exactly the same as a north facing window, when the powers that be decide that you are makin' those green gases you're the lowest of the low, idiots.

I'm going to be much more enviro friendly if I just decide to not have any air con. but that is not how it's done these days. No one will accept that I can ride out the hot days by drinking beer (low mileage home brew of course) by the dam rather than rebuild my home to make sure I never have to sweat on days that get above 80 deg.

·
Newbie (in training)
806 Posts
I didn't have a/c until 2001, when I built my house. A few of my brothers still don't have a/c. They just open the windows and get a breeze.

I have a fairly big house and do not have a/c in my bedroom or living room. I think it thickens your blood and makes you miserable at work the next day in the heat. I work everyday out in the heat, all day. I'm hot, but the guys I work with are just miserable all summer.

I stop at their houses and its feels like it's about 60 degrees in their houses because if the a/c. I think that's why they are so miserable in the heat. If you work in it all of the time, and sleep in it too, you just get acclimated to it. I don't even use a fan in my bedroom. A breeze blowing across me at night just gives me a cold the next day.

·
Cowboy
3,568 Posts
Young pups at work have the A/C in their service trucks running at full blast. Then they complain it's too hot to work outside. A 30 degree difference would be a shock to a person's body.

I'm driving around with the A/C off, windows rolled down, arm hanging out and shaking my head at the young pups.

Middle of winter and the Business Office A/C would be running :confused: Between the building being occupied, well insulated and the ceiling lights, more heat was generated that what was lost. We swapped out the ceiling lights with the highest efficient ones we could find. A/C no longer runs during the winter months.

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
Talked to some older folks that lived farther south years ago. They said they often slept up on the roof because the wife was afraid of snakes. It was cool up there as soon as the sun went down and any breeze would be felt. And no snakes!

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
Showers or baths

When I was in college, one of the jobs I did was to work in the cafeteria, washing dishes. My sophomore year, I was the person who sprayed the dishes with an industrial sprayer after they had been scraped, stacked and loaded into racks. It was always hot and steamy in that room, and when it was hot out, you pretty much needed to change clothes and take a shower before moving onto whatever was next--class, studying, a different job. I remember a particular day when it was so hot that I had 5 showers.

A former colleague of mine went to Spain for a large part of the summer to work on her Spanish. It was hot, hot, hot! She told me that she had a thin cotton nightgown. When she got ready for bed, she put on her nightgown, got into the shower to get it wet, and went to bed. When she woke up in the night from the heat, she would get into the shower to cool down and go back to bed.

I know when I was a kid, we spent hot summer days at the swimming pool.

Ever stand in line in Southern California at some amusement park, such as Universal Studios? They had/have misters that put out a light spray that would cool you off while waiting for your ride.

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
Thanks Will follow through on that
While Davarm's suggestion is not bad either, I put up the expensive reflective window tinting on my Mom's place. The reflective screens are better than the tinting since the screens keep the window itself cooler. This lowers the heat load the window has to deal with in the first place.

Going by my experience with my Mom's windows, the window tinting worked well until late in the afternoon when the windows were in direct sunlight for several hours. That's when the heat became noticeable on the inside by the windows (6-12" away.) With the reflective screens, there is almost no noticeable heat at the same distance. Reflective window tinting and a reflective screen is probably best of all, but it would be very expensive. At that point, you're probably better off going with quality double or triple paned windows.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
While Davarm's suggestion is not bad either, I put up the expensive reflective window tinting on my Mom's place. The reflective screens are better than the tinting since the screens keep the window itself cooler. This lowers the heat load the window has to deal with in the first place.

Going by my experience with my Mom's windows, the window tinting worked well until late in the afternoon when the windows were in direct sunlight for several hours. That's when the heat became noticeable on the inside by the windows (6-12" away.) With the reflective screens, there is almost no noticeable heat at the same distance. Reflective window tinting and a reflective screen is probably best of all, but it would be very expensive. At that point, you're probably better off going with quality double or triple paned windows.
LOL Yeah thats exactly what happens in my apartment building in Los Angeles late in the Afternoon! It is the worst. To be honest, because of my sinuses, I have the air conditioning running 24 hours a day- yeah my summer electricity bills are very high and I have to adjust the temperature about 3 times a day on the thermostat- central air. Appreciate all the input on this thread as I was just thinking how the hell will I be able to try to survive TEOTWAWKI without air conditioning, assuming there is no more electricity!

·
Just walking at the edge of my grave
4,246 Posts
Many people down here put an outdoor fabric on the outside of their south or west windows. It still allows some visibility looking out but shades the whole window. I would think this method might work better as the window is in the shade and the glass would never get as hot.????

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
Ever stand in line in Southern California at some amusement park, such as Universal Studios? They had/have misters that put out a light spray that would cool you off while waiting for your ride.
LOL! Most of the lines at Disneyland Resort are shaded so they don't have to use the mister system. I have only seen the misters at the water parks and Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Those misters do work at cooling an area though. I have one in the chicken run to give them a cool spot and the dog run has one as well. Both also have small kiddie pools so they can cool off in the water.

I have been wondering if I can set up some misters on a gravity feed instead of a pressurized hose bib.

·
Texian
1,387 Posts
Many people down here put an outdoor fabric on the outside of their south or west windows. It still allows some visibility looking out but shades the whole window. I would think this method might work better as the window is in the shade and the glass would never get as hot.????
Yes, it would work better.

I edited out a paragraph on my last post about the foil working better if it was on the outside instead of the inside for the reason you just mentioned.

The reason is air (a mixture of gases) is a poor conductor of heat compared to most solids. That's the reason double or triple paned windows are better than single paned. There's a small gap between the windows that conducts heat poorly. Gases expand when heated which is how they store the extra energy. Solids will also expand slightly when heated, but are able to store much more heat within their denser crystalline structures.

I also recall that when I was young that many older houses had fixed shades outside above windows that received a lot of sun. Or shutters that would close.

Attachments

·
Jack of Alot, Master of Few........
1,064 Posts
Some extra food for thought, all these window open wide floor plans aren't going to be very attacker friendly.

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
LOL Yeah thats exactly what happens in my apartment building in Los Angeles late in the Afternoon! It is the worst. To be honest, because of my sinuses, I have the air conditioning running 24 hours a day- yeah my summer electricity bills are very high and I have to adjust the temperature about 3 times a day on the thermostat- central air. Appreciate all the input on this thread as I was just thinking how the hell will I be able to try to survive TEOTWAWKI without air conditioning, assuming there is no more electricity!
OMG! You are in L.A.!? Get out!

Just be grateful you don't live in SFV. No real breezes or cooling winds coming over the hills. I hated working on location in the valley during the summer. Yuck!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts