Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that scares me about trying to survive at TEOTWAWKI is how to survive in Hot Weather without electricity which if its TEOTWAWKI, I don't expect electricity to still exist. I tried thinking of how people survived the Heat in the 1800s and the first half or so of the 1900s without air conditioning and to a lesser extent fans, and I don't have an answer. Any of you have one?

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
While Davarm's suggestion is not bad either, I put up the expensive reflective window tinting on my Mom's place. The reflective screens are better than the tinting since the screens keep the window itself cooler. This lowers the heat load the window has to deal with in the first place.

Going by my experience with my Mom's windows, the window tinting worked well until late in the afternoon when the windows were in direct sunlight for several hours. That's when the heat became noticeable on the inside by the windows (6-12" away.) With the reflective screens, there is almost no noticeable heat at the same distance. Reflective window tinting and a reflective screen is probably best of all, but it would be very expensive. At that point, you're probably better off going with quality double or triple paned windows.
LOL Yeah thats exactly what happens in my apartment building in Los Angeles late in the Afternoon! It is the worst. To be honest, because of my sinuses, I have the air conditioning running 24 hours a day- yeah my summer electricity bills are very high and I have to adjust the temperature about 3 times a day on the thermostat- central air. Appreciate all the input on this thread as I was just thinking how the hell will I be able to try to survive TEOTWAWKI without air conditioning, assuming there is no more electricity!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.