Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
9,303 Posts
I grew up in Texas near Dallas. The house my parents owned had AC but we hardly used it. I just got off the phone with my mom about this and the reason they didn't use the AC was the cost. My mom was a teacher so she had the summers off like I did. She spent her days in the garage with a fan on because of the cement floors. She'd hose the floor down and work on her stained glass art in there. For me she'd set up the oscillating sprinkler in the yard and give me a popsicle. Or the washtub was in the shade full of cold water. What kid didn't play in the water during summer?!

Now we live in the desert of California. We have a swamp cooler and fans. I try not to use either until the temps hit certain highs. We have AC units in the bedrooms but we use them only during the peak of the heatwave. An above ground pool keeps us from using the fans and swampcooler. Even our dogs and chickens have paddling pools to beat the heat.

9,303 Posts
Ever stand in line in Southern California at some amusement park, such as Universal Studios? They had/have misters that put out a light spray that would cool you off while waiting for your ride.
LOL! Most of the lines at Disneyland Resort are shaded so they don't have to use the mister system. I have only seen the misters at the water parks and Six Flags Magic Mountain.

Those misters do work at cooling an area though. I have one in the chicken run to give them a cool spot and the dog run has one as well. Both also have small kiddie pools so they can cool off in the water.

I have been wondering if I can set up some misters on a gravity feed instead of a pressurized hose bib.

9,303 Posts
LOL Yeah thats exactly what happens in my apartment building in Los Angeles late in the Afternoon! It is the worst. To be honest, because of my sinuses, I have the air conditioning running 24 hours a day- yeah my summer electricity bills are very high and I have to adjust the temperature about 3 times a day on the thermostat- central air. Appreciate all the input on this thread as I was just thinking how the hell will I be able to try to survive TEOTWAWKI without air conditioning, assuming there is no more electricity!
OMG! You are in L.A.!? Get out!

Just be grateful you don't live in SFV. No real breezes or cooling winds coming over the hills. I hated working on location in the valley during the summer. Yuck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.