How do you decide who to help ... or not!

Discussion in 'Religion' started by mosquitomountainman, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

As a Christian, one of my most difficult things I'll have to deal with is who to help and who to send on their way. Is it my responsibility to help anyone who asks? How do your religious beliefs impact the way you will respond to others if they need help in a Post SHTF situation?

2. Asatrur

Asatrur Well-Known Member

They have no impact on my response as long as mine does not impact theirs. I figure if people can put religion aside and band together for survival that is what matters.

3. truthfulwon

truthfulwon Junior Member

I am putting aside for what may come. I pray over the supplies I have put away. I also pray for those I am suppose to help and leave the rest to the LORD. I believe as Christians we are called to help others as well as minister to the lost. I know that there will be a lot of supernatural provision as well. We will be living the bible. Meaning the bible stories will be brought to life. Just as GOD provided for the Israel HE will provide for us. The woman who filled empty jars with oil that GOD had provided.

We are to be a light to a dying world and even in these last days we are called to show the love of CHRIST. Our trust is not in ourselves but our hope is in the LORD. We will surely be called to not only speak the WORD but too truly walk the word of Faith. We must endure to the end. With all that being said we must really be grounded in the WORD! That way we will recognize GOD'S voice.

4. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

I guess everyone has forgotten charity begins at home, take care of your own. If you don't care about your family feed one or two and see how many show up for seconds. Then ya have a whole other ball of wax to deal with, can't get away from the facts of a world gone bottoms up. The smartest and most dangerous group will be those ( trojan horse ones ) send in one poor starved soul, eats a hand out, gos straight to the waiting group to report. What to do :gaah: guess we will all have to cross that bridge when it gets here. The old adage trust no one will be the order of every day. I just don't look forward to things to come in that context. :confused:

5. mdprepper

mdprepper I sold my soul to The_Blob. He had candy...

I too struggle with this. For me it is not just the strangers who will knock on my door, but family members that I talk to about prepparing. I have a hard time with the fact that they just spend all their money on stupid things (and a few that have racked up $250,000 in credit card debt) just to keep up with the Jonses. They say "Oh, we will just come to YOUR house".

Have you read The Hiding Place by Cory Ten Boom (sp?)? Awesome story of GOD's provision and more.

6. GreyWolf

GreyWolf Well-Known Member

That's a tough question. Unfortunately, in a post SHTF sitatuion I think we all are going to have to make some really hard decisions like that. No matter how well we prepare with food, water, supplies, equipment etc, I'm not sure we can fully prepare to make some of the decisions we will face then. All I know to do is ask for wisdom. If anyone does decide to help someone they weould be better keep their guard up, limit the appearance of having anything stocked up and preferrably do it away from you BOL or home if you have dug in. kyfarmer is right, trust no one in such as situation and you never know who may be following the person you help.

7. PragmaticWorm

PragmaticWorm Member

As a Buddhist, we are taught compassion. It is the overriding factor of my life, compassion before all else.

8. NaeKid

NaeKid YourAdministrator, eh?

I don't care what religion a person is - we, as individuals do not have the resources to take care of a significant influx of people with their hands held out. Even major cities will not have the resources to take care of a significant influx of people with their hands held out.

Most provinces or states will not have the resources to take care of another province or state if there was an influx of people from those areas. We are "cash" and "supply" strapped as it is, just able to take care of those within our borders.

Now - to get to the original question: How do I decide who to help? Well, I will help myself first, then I will help my family and then if I still have resources, I might help my friends. People that have had no impact on my life previous to needing a handout will continue to not have an impact on my life after needing a handout. Sorry for being so cold hearted, but, that is the way that this cookie will crumble.

9. catsraven

catsraven Meoww

:congrat:I feel the same way. If they are so arrogant to think that some one will take care of them then they deserve what they get. Yes its cold hearted but in a Survival situation it will be them or us. People tend to go crazy when little Johnny or Jane is starving.

10. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

As harsh as it my sound, that's the way the cookie will crumble here also.

We've given very subtle hints to a few friends and to various acquaintances just to plant a seed. What they choose to do is up to them. Closer friends we've pushed a little harder if the opening was there.
    Our sons girlfriend is the epitome of the term sheeple. She has a do-nothing job with the state and can't even entertain the notion that things will ever be any different than they are right now. She lives paycheck to paycheck because she's always shopping for something and eats out for every meal. We will have very little sympathy for her when things turn bad.

11. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

My wife and I have decided that, for the most part, we will help those who have something to contribute -- that probably being manpower. Can you use a bucksaw? Haul wood? Are you trustworthy and experienced to help handle security? Do you have any carpentry skills? Is your back stong enough to sow a 5 acre corn patch by hand? Can you weld? Can you convert a tractor to run on wood gas? Can you handle my horses? Can you dig post holes? Can you follow directions to make cheese? Have you butchered before? Our weakness will be old folks and kids.......Damn.

12. Woody

Woody Woodchuck

Folks at work get a good chuckle when they ask me what my latest purchases were. I have made it clear to them that I am planning for one person and one dog, that’s it. Depending on what the disaster is and how long I figure it will last will determine if I open my stores to anyone else. My plan is for one year no garden or electricity, two+ years if gardening is an option.

13. truthfulwon

I believe their is strength in numbers. When the shtf and it is you against us, meaning a small family against 10 or more, the group will succeed. I believe that you can all benefit by coming together. Someone could be a builder another person could be good with weapons etc. People will more likely attack someone who has less manpower then a group of people.

That is why I pray now and ask the LORD to send who I am suppose to help. I pray for GOD'S protection for his provision. I pray over the food and water. I ask the LORD to stretch it and also preserve it. I am believing in miracles such as the feeding of the 5,000. I truly believe during these times we will be seeing biblical proportion miracles. And you can take that to the bank. GOD is our source and we must remember that. This is a battle between good and evil. This is a spiritual fight and our dependence must be solely on The LORD. The bible tells of this day and hour. So I must read the WORD,pray and prepare. And most of all TRUST in the LORD!

14. mosquitomountainman

One thing we've done at times is to have some animal feed around, whole grains like corn, wheat, oats, etc. It's free of antibiotics and other additives but is still sold as livestock feed. We planned to use it for handouts. If they're really hungry they'll accept it and be thankful. If they don't want that then I guess they weren't as bad off as they thought they were. Right now we're out of it (fed it to the critters and never re-supplied).

15. DocWard

DocWard Well-Known Member

I suppose it depends on what kind help is needed. Will I attempt to render first aid to someone in need? If I don't perceive them as a threat, yes. Will I offer water? most likely. Shelter and food? That is where we start getting into the "what is in it for me" questions. Like others, I have no desire to provide those who will not provide for themselves and expect me to do so for them. If someone genuinely cannot do so, then I will contemplate what I can and should do, if anything, for them.

I recall a Twilight Zone episode about a family that had built a bomb shelter, and when it appeared the balloon was going up, how their friends demanded to be allowed in.

16. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Me and mine. Not in that group? Be able to support or supply the group with more than you take. Breaking even will not suffice. Cold Hearted? Yeah a little.

17. truthfulwon

Just something to really think about!

Luk 12:16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

Luk 12:17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

Luk 12:18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

Luk 12:19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, [and] be merry.

Luk 12:20 But God said unto him, [Thou] fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

Luk 12:21 So [is] he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

18. mosquitomountainman

I appreciate the Scripture quotes but there are others that tell you to take care of your own family first (I Timothy 5:8) and several proverbs admonishing diligence in providing for yourself and warning against slacking. In II Thessalonians 3:10 Paul said that if a man won't work, don't give him food. I agree that the Lord can multilpy his blessings and I'm famiar with the times in the past when God miraculously provided food. We also see in Genesis where Joseph was warned of the coming seven good years and seven bad years where he stored up grain in the good years to use in the bad years. (And Pharoah ended up owning everything.)

My take is that God can miraculously supply all that we need but He tends to want some responsibility on our part too so he peridically lets us face the consequnces of not following His instructions. I don't believe in testing God. If I did why bother to prepare at all? Why not just sit back and let God take care of it? What I see in priorities is to work diligently to plant, harvest and store up. To take care of my family first then out of the excess take care of other believers second and third those who are not believers.

If others didn't prepare for the bad times during the good times then they will be at the mercy of those who did. If God wants to provide for them in miraculous ways that's fine with me. As long as I have it to spare I'll give them a jar of corn and God can make it last until it's needed no more. Or, he can let them reap the consequences of their disobediance. They can't say God didn't warn them.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  19. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I like Scripture, it makes sense to me.:congrat:

20. truthismyname33

truthismyname33 Member

We'll know....

Our hearts will know. We won't turn be able to turn them away even if we tried. :) Search your hearts now...are you holding on to some sort of prejudice against anyone because of differences? Whether it's skin color, race, looks, religion, whatever?

Maybe it's time to search our hearts NOW............