How dead most people are

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by Willdabeast, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Willdabeast

Willdabeast Member

So I live in the UK and I was thinking, just how bad it would be for practically everyone else in our town, my parents dont know I've prepped haha but the whole town would go to hell in a day or two maybe? Why can't people see more than two feet in front of their faces ?

Sent from my iPod touch using Survival Forum

2. Dakine

Dakine Uber Newbie

80 years from the last depression
    70 years from the last WW

the HUGE majority of everyone who lived through events is dead. They have nothing to pass on, as a warning.

The people that have grown up in the generations since then, have no idea what it means going to a well to pump water, crapping outside, having a garden, slaughtering their own meat, raising laying hens... I'd put it 5 of 100 and I think I'm being generous. We're talking about a generation that is now legal to vote that has never touched a cassette tape or the recorder, or even know what they are, they've probably never seen a dial telephone, they dont understand the concept of a party line, so for them, anything that isn't INSTANT gratification is a bummer...

I'm pretty sure the new kids on the block are in for a rude awakening, and they are going to want answers!!!! why did my technology fail me? why did my .gov fail me???

sucks to be them. :(

You're either ready or you're not.

Now before anyone gets their britches in a wad... I really do not care about your garden that produces a few carrots, a couple heads of cauliflower and some whatever... are you going to eat that all year? Can you water it to produce the partial year crop you really want it to produce?

Gardening is a GREAT skill, it's not exercised to the extent that most people would need to sustain their house so if you are one of the few that can your extras and you can reach into your pantry for a year or so... MY BAD, you're not the one's I was referring to! ;)

3. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

Denial.

Some folks face up to adversity and deal with it.

Others can't deal with adversity so mentally they pretend it doesn't exists. How can there be a problem when the problem doesn't exists?

I think I am invisible therefore I am. :nuts:

4. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

and complacency...

and "Normalcy Bias"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normalcy_bias

5. BillS

BillS Well-Known Member

Most people are ignorant about economics. I see a lot of stuff on Facebook about Obama but absolutely nothing on Bernanke or the Federal Reserve. At least 90% of people are completely ignorant about the Federal Reserve destroying the dollar.

6. Sentry18

Sentry18 Well-Known Member

The same reason that Miley Cyrus is a millionaire, that Obama is never held accountable and that people think food from Subway is "healthy"; blissfull and purposeful ignorance. Many people work really hard to maintain their ignorance, other people come by it naturally and some are so daft that they could not identify common sense if it came with a flashing sign that pointed at it.

7. CrackbottomLouis

CrackbottomLouis Winston Smith Sent Me

Just following historical precedent. A nation starts off with strong morals, work ethic, and ingenuity. Slowly over time the positive results of those get passed down to further generations who then don't find those things as necessary because they don't have to work as hard and they are farther removed from negative consequences. That eventually turns into the expectation of privilege and moral wiggle room. Then the slide to the edge of the social and economic cliff until one day........bam! ......free fall. It has happened before, is happening now, and will happen throughout our future. It's not shocking, surprising, or unexpected.

8. hiwall

hiwall Just walking at the edge of my grave

That is why when the gov did a study on how many would die in a total extended grid down situation in the USA they expect 80 to 90% will die.

9. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

My parents lived through both of those, and they had it pretty rough. My mom can see what I'm doing and she 'gets' it. She remembers being hungry. My dad, on the other hand, is part of the 'this is America, that wouldn't happen here' crowd - even though he lived through it happening here. I've never understood that. :(

10. TheLazyL

TheLazyL Cowboy

Like when the scaffolding was too tall to wheel under the low end of a slope ceiling. Just lean a extension ladder against the scaffolding and climb up to quickly change that bulb.

Somewhere between unscrewing the light bulb and the concrete floor I figured out I should have set the brakes on the scaffolding.

Back in those days I bounced better then I do (don't) today.

11. cowboyhermit

cowboyhermit Supporting Member

I have seen that sentiment by otherwise intelligent and rational people so many times, it boggles the mind. In everything from relationships to business to preparedness it seems so simple that one should learn from the experience but for whatever reasons people sometimes refuse to accept or prepare for it happening again:dunno:

12. Geek999

Geek999 Member

People react differently to experiences and the experiences were not all the same. My father grew up in the Depression and has been frugal his entire life as a result. During WWII he was just out of training when the bomb was dropped, so he never left the US. He would look at the money spent by most preppers, including me, as a waste.

To date that approach has worked for him. His worst disaster experience has been a mandatory evacuation for a Hurricane and he was back in his house in a few days.

While most of us on this forum are trying to prepare for ever more serious breakdowns, until SHTF happens, I am not going to criticize someone for not having bought in to a decidedly minority view.

13. BillM

BillM BillM

1929 vs 2014

In 1929 when the great depression occurred, it was world wide.

There were two billion people in the world.

Today in 2014 there are seven billion people in the world.

In 1929 ,83% of the people in the USA worked in agriculture.

They already grew their own food. while some people in the cities went hungry, most Americans still had food to eat, they just had no money.

Today only 2 % of the American public work in agriculture and they depend on the use of mechanized farming equipment,(unlike the farming public in 1929 who still used animals to power their farming enterprises.)

In a grid down situation , I could readily picture a 90 % die off of the world population.

We are just not prepared to survive without the grid.

14. cowboyhermit

Geek999, that is a bit different from what I was referring to, it sounds like you are talking about someone who has experienced hard times financially and is now frugal. For an example of what I was thinking about, I have seen people who have been hungry, in the past they have seen people starving and malnourished around them but yet they refuse to keep any food on hand. There seem to be quite a variety of reasons why this is but a major one is that to do so would be to admit that such a thing could happen again in their current situation and they refuse to accept that.

15. Geek999

Geek999 Member

My point is that those of us who are prepping for a significant breakdown are a small minority, probably no more than 2% of the population. Who is to say that we're right?

BTW: My father went to work at age 8. I wouldn't downplay his experience.

16. cowboyhermit

Not sure what is meant by your last comment but I should say that I consider frugal a wholly positive term, I forget sometimes that there are other interpretations:eek:. I wouldn't downplay his experience either.
    All I was trying to point out is that your dad seems to behave in a rational way in regards to his experience while some people for one reason or another appear to pretend it can never happen again.

17. goshengirl

goshengirl Supporting Member

Yeah, that's what I mean about my dad. It's not even a prepping issue - I don't even talk about that stuff with him. It's his idea that 'things like that don't happen in America' - things like a depression or a world war - and yet he lived through a depression and a world war. He didn't have it as bad as my mom did, but in a way, I think the rose colored glasses he wears now are just decades of a coping mechanism.

18. Geek999

Geek999 Member

My point was that he did suffer during the Depression and it wasn't merely a financial hardship. I agree that he has responded to his experiences in a rational way. While I appreciate the point about people who "pretend it can never happen again", I think that for most people there is nothing in their experience to cause them to prep and for those we might think should prep based on their experiences, they may have a perfectly logical reason for dealing with life in their own fashion.

We need to remember that we are in the minority and thinking all the non-preppers are nuts may be part of why they think we are nuts.

19. Willdabeast

Willdabeast Member

The thing that amazes me is that even when someone tells them how monumentally [email protected]£:!d they would be if anything went wrong, and they still do nothing. I don't know if you all remember when you first started but I was genuinely scared at the reality of the situation !

Sent from my iPod touch using Survival Forum