Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Comic Relief Member
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the front page articles in the Miami Herald states that South Florida is in the middle of the hottest summer ever. Yesterday, the paper said Japan was also in the midst of the hottest temperatures on record.

All of this starts me wondering... if we are starting to have more warmer weather as the norm, how are you planning on keeping cool (other than wallpapering your rooms with winter scenes)? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
One of the front page articles in the Miami Herald states that South Florida is in the middle of the hottest summer ever. Yesterday, the paper said Japan was also in the midst of the hottest temperatures on record.

All of this starts me wondering... if we are starting to have more warmer weather as the norm, how are you planning on keeping cool (other than wallpapering your rooms with winter scenes)? :dunno:
Get that HD up to about 80 mph and you should be cool... hell sitting on a Harley going no place is cool...

Shaved head, dark tan, cammo shorts , PHUK Obama Tee shirt and an AK, that would be cool!!

Sat 0630 here in MT it was 35 Deg. but later in the afternoon it got all the way up to 60+...:D BUT the Thursday before it was 90+... weird assed country.

I blame it on Gore, if he hadn't invented Global Warming we wouldn't be so hot...

·
Registered
65 Posts
it's damn hot here in morgantown, doesn't help that you have to go up a mountain to get to class. but a/c is my only repreive here.
if it was up to me, i'd dig a hole. i'd love some cool dirt right about now

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Despite all the heat back east, a good part of the west has had a very cool summer. We've used more firewood over the summer than we ever have, mostly to take off the morning chill. We had frost in July at least 5 times this year, and neary every night in August. Thank goodness for my large stash of old sheets and blankets for covering the garden at night.

Too bad we can't average out some of that heat with our cold weather!

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Despite all the heat back east, a good part of the west has had a very cool summer. We've used more firewood over the summer than we ever have, mostly to take off the morning chill. We had frost in July at least 5 times this year, and neary every night in August. Thank goodness for my large stash of old sheets and blankets for covering the garden at night.

Too bad we can't average out some of that heat with our cold weather!
I agree GS this has been one of those strange Montana summers, in 93 summer was in July, on a Thursday between 1300 and 1800, more global warming I guess..

We've been having an evening fire for a couple of weeks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here in Georgia it has been the hottest summer we have ever had, been running in the mid to high 90's and when you add the humidy it has been feeling like a 110 to 115. with weather like this it will be hard to stay cool. so I guess we can get soaked and jump on my hubands bike, not a harly but works just the same i guess. but really how would one stay cool?:dunno:

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
Low-watt ceiling fans? Slaves with long palm branches fanning you? (Or children doing the same?)

I know there are certain fabrics we consider when we're going to be working outside in cold weather (such as no cotton!), but...are there certain fabrics you can wear in hot weather, especially hot, HUMID weather? The humidity makes the heat so beastly.

When I was on my bicycle trip in the SE this spring I wore a lot of loose, nylon-type stuff and poured water over myself at times. Even in the humidity it dried pretty fast, and I felt refreshed.

I saw people wearing the body-hugging and other spandex-type stuff and wondered how they cooled down with no air circulation around their skin. I prefer loose clothes in hot, humid weather. And sandals. You'd want to ditch the closed-up kind of shoes, I'd guess?

·
YourAdministrator, eh?
8,000 Posts
To keep cool, take a note from the ancient Egyptians and the kinds of clothing that the "working class" would wear. Loose "flowing" clothing made of light colors and "open weave" allowing the breeze to flow through. Aim towards linen-based cloth and put a wide brim'd weave-hat on the top to keep your head from cooking like an egg in the shell.

Find shade-zones or create your own that have lots of breeze-ways. Use beige or shades-of-white tent-material to put up a tarp-tent or awning.

·
RockyMountainCanadian
4,288 Posts
I have no tolerance for heat , infact much over 75 or so and I am looking for shade

But I would think that the correct clothing and having some way to use the earths cooler temps (basement etc would be the answer, relying on technology will just get you in trouble , it's nice when it works but.......:dunno:

·
Beginner's Mind
230 Posts
Y'all would get used to it if you had to. I hate air conditioning, don't use it in my house or vehicles and I live in West Texas.

I have porches on three sides of my house which cools the breezes that come into the house. Damn bugs bother me more than heat. Once had a bug fly right into my ear and had to see a Doc to get it flushed out when it bit me inside the auditory canal.

·
1,182 Posts
Western PA has had its moments the last few weeks. Last week we were really cool (probably around low 40s at night and 65-70 during the day) and then it hit 90+ this week. The weather loves screwing with us eh? :mad:

Heat really doesn't bother me. I don't sweat a lot so...lucky me! Plus I lived in Okinawa, Japan for awhile; coming back to the weather in the states was cake. No heat compares to tropical humid heat. :cool:

·
1,182 Posts
oh yes, and I forgot to mention my stay cool method. I live on the top floor of a 3 story house (3 apartments). It's always hottest in my apartment and in my bedroom so I keep the blinds down, run my fan at night with the window open. During the day, fan turned off, and keep the lights off since there is a lot of natural light running through my apartment. :2thumb:, and all windows and screen doors are kept open. Works like a charm. If it's too hot, hang out on my porch and work on my B.O.B. :D

Like I said, I'm a non-sweating gal and heat doesn't bother me. My fiance on the other hand...he is the most miserable human being in the entire world if he doesn't have air conditioning. I don't look forward to his whining if there is a possibility that electricity stops working.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Same way we did in Africa: Open the doors and windows (when practical), sleep outside (again, when practical), get up BEFORE sunrise, work until around 10AM, knock off till around 4-4:30PM, get back to it.

Like NaeKid said, wear loose flowy clothes. In fact, the dishdasha (arab man's outfit, also called a jalabiya or thobe) is VERY comfortable, and VERY functional!

Also the headdress they wear (kuffiya [sp?]) is good for keeping you cool in the heat and warm during the cold! :D

·
Woodchuck
3,347 Posts
Hot and cold are something I found my body does adjust to. Back in my first life I worked outside for a living, logger and carpenter from Olean, NY to Moosehead Lake, ME. In the winter it got colder than... well... really cold. Sure you’d feel the cold but got used to it. You’d get some high 90’s F in the summer but still had to work outside. The body adapted and I managed to survive. In the summers down here in NC it can get brutally hot and humid. I’ve adapted and can put up with high 90’s with air so think it’s hard to breath. I’ve turned the air on a few times this summer when it got way too hot for my old black lab. I have to admit that walking into a place that is 85 F is mighty refreshing when it is hot hot hot outside! I’ve only had the AC on in the car once this summer, just to make sure it still worked!

Trick for me to keep cool is to have a breeze going, I use a portable fan. It evaporates the sweat and cools me down. I’ve practiced being w/out electric a few times (meaning no fan) and used water and shade. Sit in the shade and ladle cups of water over my head, letting them soak my cotton shirt and pants. Even with no breeze it would cool you down for a few minutes. I found the North side of the place still remained cooler than ambient temp and the ground is cooler still. Lying in the grass there would cool me down also. Granted it was still hot as Hades but I did survive. Having a pond/lake or stream to soak in would have been great but I have no such luxury at the trailer.

A fishing buddy bought one of those ‘chilly towels’, or something like that. When damp it evaporated water and really does feel almost cold. I’m going to have to invest in a dozen of those, enough to cover my body… and Wendy’s too (my lab).

·
Noob
764 Posts
Around here in the summer if it doesn't get done before 11 it's not going to, unless it's really necessary. Fortunaley the old miners left plenty of holes in our hills. The trick is to find one with water nearby.

·
Registered
162 Posts
As a child growing up in the south, we never had air conditioning. I didn't even know what it was. We also lived in New orleans for a couple years. didn't have it there either. Heat can be dealt with, but it isn't easy. a few years ago, our power was out for 3 days due to hurricane damage. We had no air con for that time, just emergency power. it was hot at night. But we made it through it ok.
Point being, most people don't know what they can endure till they have to. But heat is one thing I know I can make it through. Been there--done that......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts