Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gay Michigan student defends suspended teacher - Yahoo! News

Hwy you know what? I don't care about the belt buckle and the suspension. Are these problems? Why sure... but a much greater one reared it's head. As I said elsewhere..

Am I the only person here who is wondering what a 14 year old is doing declaring himself "gay"? When I was 14, the only things in my life I was sure about were a lifelong love for baseball and a fast track to Street Fighter 2 championships.

Baseball now bores me and I haven't bought a Street Fighter game since before they first learned to count to 3 finally. Your teenage years are a time to piss around and finish up being a kid... and frankly? I have no more respect for a 14 year old who says he's gay than I do one who says he's a Ninja.

A 14 year old, even one with a genius IQ, lives in a fantasy world. I mean, when I was 14 I woulda played professional baseball in a second if I had the chance but that's a darn sight different from sticking parts of my anatomy in other people. How can anyone take this seriously?

What's going to happen if he gets out of his formative years and has to explain this for the rest of his life? It's irresponsible journalism to identify a child as hetero or **** sexual. We shouldn't even... come on what? Who permits their 14 year old to have sex with ANYONE, much less other (most likely adult) men? Where are his parents?

Especially disturbing is the line "Taylor told the Howell, Mich., school board last week that he attempted suicide at age 9 because he was bullied for being gay." You know? The kid is screwed up beyond belief that he thinks he might be "gay" before he's even hit puberty. These thoughts don't come naturally at that age; they just don't. Kids aren't "growing up" any faster than they did a hundred years ago, parents simply permit them to play more dangerous games.

If my child theoretically grows up to be gay.. why.. I'll love him or her unconditionally. I may not support the choice, but I'll love my child. But if my NINE year old starts telling me he thinks he might be gay? Too early to tell, and I'll be sure to let him know it's too early to start worrying about that.

Other news stories indicate the parents "knew" since he was 6 years old and preferred girls' cartoon shows and dolls. Well guess what? I preferred Jem to GI Joe, and had fun with My Little Pony right next to my Transformers, and you know what my parents did? Nothing. They didn't sit me down and have a talk about what it might "mean" because they knew that, at the time, it didn't "mean" anything.

Kids are kids, and parents need to stop trying to use them to push their own agendas.

·
performing monkey
4,230 Posts
idk... 14 is probably old enough to have a sexual identity/predeliction , just hopefully NOT a practicing one.

personally at 10 I was sure I wanted to be 'hetero', but my sexual partners were limited to Rosie Palmer & her Five Sisters :eek: (ok, that really hasn't changed :rolleyes: ;) ) and at 10... they did not know what they were doing :cry: (ok, that really hasn't changed either :eek: :ignore: :sssh: )

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
idk... 14 is probably old enough to have a sexual identity/predeliction , just hopefully NOT a practicing one.
Well sure.. you have inklings of it, but a child knowing "for sure" before he even hits puberty? Warning bells should be going off. This is either a serious case of (can't believe I'm saying this) liberal parenting gone wrong, or someone was molesting that child.

·
Shoots to Thrill
125 Posts
Honestly, we have a crisis of kids seeking to be something unique, something special, something noticeable. Just walk around the mall on a weekend. It's obvious. Their parents were bored of them before they were out of diapers and went back to talking on their iphones and watching American Idol to escape the drudgery of parenthood. "Here's $20, kid. Mom's got other things to do. I'll call you in six hours."

Mom and/or Dad (likely only one) are too busy with absolutely everything else in the world and the kids lack any kind of reassurance that they have value, that they have responsibility, that they are worth someone's time. Thus, the kids have zero self esteem, zero maturity and zero motivation except the need to be accepted by someone, anyone. And right now "gay"/"emo"/"metro"/"bi"/whatever is apparently the latest "cool" way to be noticed.

It's truly a shame (as most of these kids will never fully recover), and yet another sign of the imminent collapse of western culture...

·
Family Friendly DJ
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The whole thing just remains a shame, because it's something that's touched close to home. My brother had a roommate, a roommate who had been "absolutely sure" he was gay since he was 11. At the age of 19, my brother came out of his bedroom into the kitchen to find Keith's brains on the wall, and his only remaining intact eye staring right at him.

Keith's suicide note said "turns out I liked girls more than I thought I did, but it's too late now." Coupla weeks later we found he'd tested positive for HIV. Yeah... nice kid blowing that all around the apartment, in killing himself he could have also killed my brother (he tested, no he's clean). This is sad, and it would not have happened, because Keith had nobody to talk to, nobody to reach out to. His parents had disowned him for "going gay" in the first place.. at the age of 11. They actually took him seriously, and locked him into a lifestyle choice he was too young to make.

His "friends" (all men in their 30's-40's) when asked later, we could only get one to talk about it, and he said whenever Keith brought it up, they'd just "drop another popper, maybe dip some X, and have sex until the doubts went away".

And yes, Keith was having sex with older men even as early as 14. Apparently that's called "chickenhawking" in the homosexual community. This is the reason Boy Scout leaders really can't be gay. Are gay pedophiles rare? Yeah, probably, but they do occur, and it's not worth the risk. Would you let a straight man be a Girl Scout Den Mother? No. Straight pedophiles are also rare, but it's not worth the risk.

·
Zookeeper
145 Posts
My oldest is 8, and I really want to protect him a lot longer from all the crap in the world. I just want them to be kids. Build forts, make up stories, goof off without being accused of being ADHD.

And it sounds like Keith's parents did him a great disservice. I agree his parents locked his path. Who really knows anything at 11 or 14? (Except for our 14/15yo neighbor - he already knows it all. Just ask him. :rolleyes:)

I remember reading about 6 year old girls thinking they were to fat and having eating disorders. I think that is to many adult influences on a child. Advertisements, older kids, adults maybe discussing things over the child's head??? I don't know. And I agree we (society) reads to much into things. Suspending little kids for sexual harrassment (I think that was a kindergartener offering his teacher a hug?)???

My parents did a good job both protecting me and preparing me. I hope to do the same for my kids, because I don't think the world is a safe place. Is it worse than when I was a kid, or does the media just make it seem worse? (Or do all the sexualized ads with sitcoms solving problems in 30 minutes minus commercials actually make it worse?)

But as I said, my oldest is only 8, so I have much to learn. (That means he's half way to driving :gaah:).

·
The wanderer
4,350 Posts
A lot of kids are bored nowdays, in addition to being basically ignored by their parents. Add in the kind of garbage in front of them all the time, such as everything seeming to be slanted toward sex and sexy, and it's a wonder more kids aren't screwed up. Heck, they've got kindergarden girls out there in cheerleader outfits while kindergarden boys play football!!! geez. Let them be kids. aemilia, you've got the right idea. Don't push those kids of yours to grow up any faster than they already will. Good for you!

·
Registered
6,764 Posts
(That means he's half way to driving :gaah:).
It's not as bad as you might think although you can be assured there will be a couple of tense moments. I've put 2 through UncleJoe's Driving School. One more to go starting next July.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts