I have no idea where you got that, but voltage is what is generated and the amount of voltage is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field, number of conductors and relative speed of the conductors and magnetic field.Bigger wire will make more amperage and smaller will make more voltage.
labotomi said:voltage is what is generated and the amount of voltage is proportional to the strength of the magnetic field, number of conductors and relative speed of the conductors and magnetic field.
I was just stating that the size of the conductors isn't the controlling factor for voltage...it's the number of conductors. I will agree that wire size can limit the current you can safely carry.JeepHammer said:With smaller wire, there is more conductors to 'Induce' voltage in, but the smaller wire restricts Amperage.
With larger wire in the same space, you can't have as many windings,
But the larger wire size will support more Amperage.
Why is AC not usable to power lighting? Every light in my house is powered by AC.JeepHammer said:Since most generators you will be messing with produce in AC or Alternating Current, and WILL NOT produce a directly usable current for something like lighting,
You will have to find a way to 'Filter' that power into a usable form.
Small, Home made generators have a tendency to be made from electric motors or car alternators.Why is AC not usable to power lighting? Every light in my house is powered by AC.
For less than $20 you can purchase one of the "kill-a-watt" meters. They plug into the outlet and you plug the appliance into it. It will give you the following measurementsMake a plug and electrical extension cord of heavy wire. Or buy a short one.
Cut off the main insulation leaving the 3 wires (with insulation on) exposed. Plug your appliance into the cord and the cord into the wall. Put a clamp on amp meter over the hot wire and read the amperage. Convert that to wattage and you will know how much current each of you appliances uses and how far you can stress your generator. You might find this interesting. We had a cable box pulling as much amperage as our refrig!