Hotbulb engines perfect for post SHTF??

Discussion in 'Energy & Electricity' started by Tirediron, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Tirediron

Tirediron RockyMountainCanadian

The hot bulb engine Hot bulb engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or a conventional engine modified so, might be an excellent power source if society crumbles and conventional fuel is hard or impossible to find, these engines are said to burn anything oily quite well. For the modifying concept read about the 4 cycle version, the vapor chamber could probably be mounted in the spark plug hole of a gas engine. Food for thought

2. bunkerbob

bunkerbob Supporting Member

Very interesting concept.

3. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

I'm not sure how modern lightweight gasoline engines would fare, the compression required is lower than diesels, but still quite a bit higher than what happens in a petrol engine; and converting diesels to run this way seems like trying to fix something that isn't broken... :dunno:

if I recall correctly, didn't those engines have detonation (pre-ignition) problems? of course I guess you could build a crude injector system, but if you go through all of that hassle, you might as well just rebuild a regular engine :dunno:

IMHO I would stick with the diesels as they are constructed much heavier & designed to run at high compression

4. Tirediron

The hotbulb engine is a low compression ratio,7or 8 to 1 , the heat in the bulb causes combustion thus a gas engine should make a good starting point
    the main advantage of this type of engine is the simplicity of the fuel system's construction, it predates compression ignition diesels.

5. GoldenBoys

GoldenBoys Active Member

The hot bulb, or hot tube ignition was in use before any type of reliable magneto came into being. The main downfall is that they are very inefficient and you have to have some form of heat source to get the bulb hot so the engine will run. Even if SHTF, I can't help but think that there would be a lot of better systems that could be used without going back that far. A better type of ignition would be an igniter and coil, which came along after hot bulb.

6. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

I agree with you 100%...

-so much more reliable...

And you can run them on veggie oil... - I do

- Basey

7. Tirediron

Are you going to be comfortable running Diesels on veg oil you crush your self from seed ?? All the PAW stories I read every body talks about bad diesel fuel , that won't bother a Hotbulb.:scratch

8. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

why not? if I can filter out french fry bits I'm sure I can filter out seed husks :sssh:

9. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader