Horse power?

Discussion in 'Vehicle & Transportation' started by kejmack, May 31, 2011.

1. kejmack

kejmack Texas!!!

Does anyone plan on using horse power as their alternative transportation?

2. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

If it comes down to it ... :D

3. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

Sidebar: About 10 years ago DW and her son went out riding and decided they were hungry. Instead of going home they rode into town and went through the drive-thru at McD's. She said the employee's went nuts! So much so that it got the attention of the people in the dining room. They got their order and as they rode away, the windows were lined with people watching them go. Must have been quite a sight. :)

4. mosquitomountainman

mosquitomountainman I invented the internet. :rofl:

I was in McDonalds one day and these two guys were there eating. They had just come from a rendesvous and were still in their leather "costumes" from the 1800's complete with beaded mocassins. I was sure wishing I had my camera with me then!

5. dunappy

dunappy Well-Known Member

Yep I've got 4 horses and one mule out in the pasture as we speak. I've had horses nearly my entire life and wouldn't be without one.

6. Turtle

Turtle Well-Known Member

Yep, horses are definitely part of the plan.

7. RevWC

RevWC The Future?

Owned a horse once...not again...I prefere a mountian bike...greener...no vet bills...just need a hand pump for the tires...perhaps a couple of extra tubes...also, I can cover more ground in a day...cheaper to operate...

8. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Yeah but that bike is gonna have a tough time pulling a plow through the field. :p :D

9. Meerkat

Meerkat Seeking The Truth

So are we accoding to the masters you'll need a CDL license to pull a plow because farming will be union and if you ain't union you can't grow food anyway.Just read about this new plan today.another ball & chain from Agenda 21.
    Americans need to wake up.We can run but we can't hide.

10. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Rev, that depends on the kind of ground ya wanna cover. :) My horses can swim (that is a ball), plow through brush, climb hills I sure wouldn't wanna pedal, pull a plow, sleigh or buggy, and they can leap tall buildings...........well, ok. They can't do that, but they do a mighty fine job producing nitrogen-rich organic matter. :2thumb:

11. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

My horse is an iron horse, 85 Yamaha Virago.:D

12. ReconCraftTheta

ReconCraftTheta WWII Reanctor/Architecture Student

It's a pretty decent idea. Horses can be used not only for transportation, but work as well. Utilities and manuer, ect ect. Very useful animal. On the other hand, you'd have to figure out a plan to keep them fed and watered as well as yourself and your family.

13. aard_rinn

aard_rinn Member

Horses? Nahh...

When I get my own place, I want either hebra or camels. They don't need grain, and will strip leaves off of trees. Of course, this'll be on my swag island, so... yeah. A ways off.

14. k10macosta

k10macosta Junior Member

A horse would be nice but that's alot of water and food. I've had 6 horses and been around a lot more. They leave a very traceable trail. Very load and noisy and if you are hiding you can't turn them off or brush leaves over them. It is more than just throwing a saddle on the m and riding to safety. They take a lot of care. One groundhog hole, sink hole or barbed wire fence. And you have to carry 200lbs of gear by yourself. A very good option as a BOV though

15. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

And you will still have to carry that 200 lbs gear (or not) when you run out of gas ...

Just saying ...

16. k10macosta

k10macosta Junior Member

But a truck is shelter and safety. Animals are much more fragile. When it comes down to it I would not have to choose to give my last clean gallon of water to my family or my truck. With a horse you would have to choose.

17. cnsper

cnsper Well-Known Member

Well you can eat your horse but not your truck. At least the horse is easier to chew. LOL

18. k10macosta

k10macosta Junior Member

I hear horse tastes terrible but id much rather eat seabiscuit than my seat cover. LOL

19. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

Good luck with that ...

20. LincTex

LincTex Jack of all trades?

Agree 100% on all of this. If you can do all the care and have the money, go for it. People without a lot of land and on a tight budget have zero percent chance of keeping a horse for preps; there are a lot less costlier alternatives.