Hope TSHTF pretty soon...

Discussion in 'General Preparedness Discussion' started by BasecampUSA, Jan 8, 2011.

1. BasecampUSA

BasecampUSA Sr. Homesteader

My supplies are gettin pretty old...

[​IMG]

:D :D :D

luv ya'lls - Basey

2. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Maybe if you kept them inside they would have lasted longer! :D

3. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

Something about that picture makes me think of the back of "someones" van..
    Bwaahahahahaha

4. BasecampUSA

The bunker's full! that's overflow :D ;)

5. BizzyB

BizzyB BucketHunter

6. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Maybe you should have got a shovel and filled some barrels and strategically placed them in the back yard! :D

7. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

In the middle of Chicago. :D

8. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Mmmmm. Me likum seasoned food! :nuts:

9. BasecampUSA

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... ok.
    Is that where the franconsteins stash is?
    ===========

@PamsPride... Quite seriously, though... I've still got stuff from Y2K that I'm eating - haven't died yet (knock knockin on bloated cans, instead of wood). :rolleyes:

I just bought 25 cases of canned chicken (6 BIG cans /case) for $2.50/can... one can is enough to feed 6 people with some rice and chicken bullion to season it... tried my own recipe, tastes good and a tummy filler! Carbs and protein for hard work on the 'stead...

Most people buy what they most like to eat, not what's good to store and nourish WTSHTF... most of that "like to eat" stuff don't hold well for the long term. My bunker is full of nitrogen-packed grains and legumes in 55 gal lid-locked drums. It will hold for 20-30 years.

We used to do this with 5 gal buckets too... I discovered some "lost" buckets 2 years ago, one with 22 year old pinto beans, and one with 27 year old wheat... the pintos made excellent chili, and the wheat still made good bread!

- Basey

10. horseman09

horseman09 Well-Known Member

Hey! Gimme a break! Maybe I was a vulture in my previous life.:D

11. BasecampUSA

Hehehe... Buzzard? -you can have them bloated cans, then!

Thank God there haven't been very many, but the second one shows up or ANYTHING is suspect, it goes right in the trash where no human or animal can be harmed...

Playing with botulism is like russian roullete!

- Basey

12. PamsPride

PamsPride edirPsmaP

Y2K?? I am lucky :crossfinger: if I have a jar of peanut butter left from 2010 with my crew! Teenage boys eat a LOT!! :surrender:

13. Jason

Jason I am a little teapot

Basey-you can just open up a Botox clinic.

14. vn6869

vn6869 Afraid, very afraid

LOL :D:D:D

Love it.

Could be my Y2K stuff - nope checked still neatly stacked in basement. :2thumb:

15. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

:eek: OMGosh ... those MREs the hubby likes so much aren't looking so bad now ... ;)

That's a great pic! Sure would like to know the backstory behind it.

16. lotsoflead

lotsoflead Well-Known Member

Cold War cache found in New York

Survival blankets and crackers dating back five decades to the Cold War have been found in a long-forgotten storage room under New York's Brooklyn Bridge.
    Officials believe the stash, discovered during a structural inspection, may be one of many created in the US in the 1950s amid fears of a nuclear war. The provisions include 350,000 "Civil Defense All Purpose Survival Crackers", medical kits and now-empty water drums.

"This is modern American history," said city transport official Iris Weinshall.
    "People were worried, they thought we were going to go to nuclear war."

'Rare find'

Concealed in the depths of the bridge's Manhattan side, the sealed tins of crackers are dated 1962 - when the Cuban missile crisis brought the world to the brink of nuclear conflict.

BBC NEWS | Americas | Cold War cache found in New York

the amazing thing is that the inspectors are telling the people that they haven't been inspecting all parts of the bridge in over 50 yrs

17. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Can we get before and after pictures of a meal made from these cans? :2thumb:

18. Bigdog57

Bigdog57 Adventurer at large

I've read of 'iron rations' but that's getting extreme......... :D

No worries, use the Ferrous Oxide to make lots of nifty stuff! :rolleyes:

19. BadgeBunny

BadgeBunny Well-Known Member

Thanks lotsoflead ... that is very interesting! There are some abandoned missle silos south and west of here ... makes me wonder what one would find in them!