Honey

Discussion in 'General Food and Foraging Discussion' started by sailaway, May 10, 2010.

1. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

Has anybody stored honey? I have read some about it, and archiologists have found honey that the ancient Egyptians stored 2,000 years ago that is still edible today. I was also wondering if any of you with small orchards or gardens have put bee broods in to house bees and generate you own honey. Foxfire 2 talks about this and finding natural bee broods. This would be a good way to suppliment your nutrition with some thing that is natural and possibly get bees wax for candles and possibly canning.:scratch

2. Littlebit

Littlebit Well-Known Member

I am storing as much honey as I can get. Great for all kinds of stuff. I don't know to much about bee hives. Its something I try and avoid.:eek:

3. GroovyMike

GroovyMike Well-Known Member

I kept bees for a few years before I developed allergies to them. Every time I get stung it is worse than the last time so I decided I shoudln't keep bees!! Honey stores forever. After a few years a sealed jar or less time for an open container it crystalizes (turns light colored and hardens). To return it to its natural liquid state warm in gently (like set the jar in a pan of warming water). Bacteria will not grow in honey. It literally keeps forever.

4. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

Just started putting extra honey on the shelf. I have about 20lbs so far. Around here it goes for about $5.00 a pound for the buckwheat honey that I really like. Sometime soon I'm going to do a bulk purchase but haven't found buckwheat in bulk yet.

Azure Standard - Search - bulk honey

You can't see the prices until you register so I copied a couple to post here.

Price: $29.25
    Code: SW011
    Size: 1 Gal.
    Shipping Weight: 12 lbs.
    Quantity:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Price: $130.25
    Code: SW012
    Size: 5 Gals.
    Shipping Weight: 60 lbs.
    Quantity:

5. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

in the past honey was used on wounds to stop infections because of it's antimicrobial proprieties

6. faithmarie

faithmarie mamoo

We have been getting honey in 5 gallon buckets for 30 years.
    With the blight happening to the bee hives we have been buying as much as we can.
    Oh yeah and look into what will happen if we keep loosing our bees....... So add that to the SHTF thingy.
    Thank you UncleJoe for the website. Great site. They sell glycerine too.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  7. *Andi

*Andi Supporting Member

We had bees a few years back ... they were great for the garden and our orchard. :2thumb:The honey was just a plus to having them ...

Our problem was a mother bear and her cubs, she loved the honey also. :surrender: I just need to sit down and find a way to 'bear proof' our next hive.:confused: (and a bear skin rug is out of the question :D already been over that with my son. LOL)

8. OldCootHillbilly

OldCootHillbilly Reverend Coot

On life after people they said honey would be the last thing to survive that was made by the hand (ok, processed) of man. It would virtually last forever. Just found a honey company in a town I'm working in, gonna stop buy and see what I can do on bulk honey and a stainless steel barrel for the next smoker!:2thumb:

9. UncleJoe

UncleJoe Well-Known Member

I just found out there is a guy about 4 miles from me that has bees and sells honey. I think I'll stop by and introduce myself and take one of my 5 gallon buckets along. ;) :D

10. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

One good cure using honey is for athletes foot. You just wash your feet well and then smear honey on them in a nice thin coat and cover your feet with clean socks right before you go to sleep at night, usually only takes about a week to clear up. I have used it this way and it really did work.

11. OldCootHillbilly

Yall don't live in bear country do ya?:D

Honey really is good for so many things, health an food wise. Once considered for the gods, so it must be some perty good stuff.

12. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

What about electric fencing around the hives? The bees could still fly through without trouble. And it could be turned off while tending to the hives/bees.

13. Emerald

No, not really, we only see them every few years and usually they are the young ones that mama just booted out-does make people a bit skittery for a few weeks tho.. And we have had many sitings of a cougar the last few years, and while MI DNR said that there is not a breeding population, two of the last sitings have had kittens, so I tend not to believe the DNR:rolleyes:. so I have been taking my biggest mag light when going outside at night to check on the chickens. But lucky for me the worst I've seen so far is the darned family of skunks that seems to think I am one of their buds, they walk right up to me like cats... makes for a stressful walk in the back yard!
    If I wasn't so allergic to bee stings I would have a hive of my own set up in the back yard. I make mead and cook with honey and it is soooo expensive.:(

14. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

We lived on the west side of Glacier National Park...anyone wanna talk bears? Black bears, grizzly bears, we got 'em, along with wolves, mountain lions...!

We visited a guy about 50 miles away that builds his own hives and we took pictures and got specs, and we plan to build a couple this summer. In the spring we'll get our bees and see how it goes.

We made our garden fence big enough to encompass our orchard of fruit trees and berry bushes, as well as the veggie garden. It's a "bear" fence, 7' tall with 2 strands of electric wire as well as the wire mesh fencing. We also have to keep out the cute critters like the deer and rabbits. Still working on discouraging the chipmunks!

We plan to put the hives at the back, with extra electric wires around it, to keep bears out. We use a solar fence charger to power the whole thing.

The whole bee thing has been a daunting endeavor since neither of us have any experience with them. We recently ordered the "Idiot's Guide to Beekeeping." A beekeeper on another site recommended it over "Beekeeping for Dummies."

15. OldCootHillbilly

I know what ya mean bout them skunks! Was way up north at a camp in Canada an took a walk ta the outhouse one night, heard somthin in the woods, now mind ya I was all of say 10 years old? Things in the woods in the dark sound huge, specially when all ya got is a lantern. Well there's bears all over there, this turned out to be a skunk. :eek:

Nobody wanted to beleive me, but bout two weeks after we was home, the lady from the camp sent a letter, yes indeed there was a skunk, nother feller wen't out late one night to well lets say releive himself and instead of goin all the way to the out house just wen't round the corner a the cabin. Seems he pee'd on the skunk!:eek:oops:

Be carefull a them cats, if there havin little ones the setting is gettin right for a good breedin population. We even got a couple a strays hear (well a bit west) the oldest boy lives bout an hour due west an they've had a few cattle tore up from em.

Fewer folks raisin bee's round here. But I use a fair amount of honey in my smoked stuff. The price is gettin up there. I found a honey plant in one a the towns I'm workin in, gonna stop an see what kind of deal I can make on some in bulk.

16. Emerald

At least I buy my honey from an apiary that is only about 10 miles from here and so it's local. But my mom brought me back two pints of Orange Blossom honey from Florida, that is some yummy honey!

And even tho some people say that there is not enuf food for the big cats in MI any longer, I beg to differ- we have so many deer that they are coming right into towns now to eat and the wild turkey population is doing stupendous. An old friend of mine used to be a zookeeper and told me that they would get calls all the time from people who own big cats/exotic animals like pythons and don't want them any longer. And for every permit for a big cat there are at least 5 that have no permit.:eek: the hubby and I also saw an animal that we had not ever seen before ( I have spent plenty of time hunting and hiking in the outdoors here in MI and know what I am looking at usually)- the size of a coyote but looked like the face of a cat and the biggest fluffy tail ever- so my friend told me to look at the list of wild animals that people have gotten permit for and to see if any of those types of animals looked like what we saw-- one did and it was a Jaguarundi- a south American cat that has the body shape and size of almost a coyote and the big fluffy tail and cat head... No one had called one in missing but then who knows what people have in their homes illegally and when they get loose they don't want to call for help due to getting in trouble.

17. pdx210

pdx210 Well-Known Member

wearing wool socks is effective for athletes foot and odor

18. neil-v1

neil-v1 Old Member

I have some old half gallon glass jars of honey that have metal screw on lids that are pretty rusty. How would I know if this is safe or should I just junk it all? It looks good just the caps are real rusty from being in a damp cellar. Would I drop dead from this? I was thinking about re-packaging it, that's why I ask. Thanks.

19. Emerald

This is what I would do- check with a light to see if the rust has gone thru the lid and is on the inside of the lid. If not carefully take the lids off- you could put duct tape on the lids all the way around and that way no "rust crumbs" would fall in.
    And then take off lid and smell- if it smells bad, get rid of it.. If it smells like honey, repack into mason jars.
    Honey will darken as it ages, so I don't worry if it gets a bit darker. And if it starts to crystallize just putting it (jar) in really warm water will liquefy it again.
    I mean they found honey in the tombs in Egypt and it was edible, so it does out last us!;):D

20. OldCootHillbilly

neil-v1, that's a very tricky an dificult question. I think ya better send all that honey ta me an I will do very scientific examinations of it an let you know so you place yerself at no risk! Please send it ta me postage paid!:D

No really, it should be just fine, rejar it an yer good ta go.