Homesteading Shows

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Turkish, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Turkish

Turkish Active Member

Are there any tv shows out there that anyone knows of about homesteading?

2. groundhogsniper23

groundhogsniper23 Active Member

none that i can think of. but if ever saw the show jericho when it was on. it was about when usa was hit by nukes and the people had to live off the land and each town had to fend for itselves. if u wanaa know more let me know.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008

3. mona

mona Well-Known Member

Just ran across a youtube.com site calld Pioneer Living's Channel. It seems to be a good video library of pioneer living. If you want to try that.

Good luck.

4. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

Les Stroud from 'Survivorman' did a show called 'Off The Grid' for Discover, I think it was a pilot episode of a series, but IDK... :rolleyes: I missed it

5. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

There was a series on at one time... but damned if I could remember the name of the show or the name of the series... that showed a guy who built his own cabin in the Northern Territories from scratch with only a few tools. He did get a lot of help in the way of food tho if I remember right.

You can always catch reruns of "Little House on the Prarie" :D

6. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

was it Grizzly Addams? I thought Turkish meant non-fiction...

7. dukman

dukman Greenhorn

The one show was a documentary, similar to Les Strouds way of survival in that he is alone with his cameras filming what he is doing. The only difference is that he does get some food flown in, and he is building a permanent shelter. I believe it was taped in the 70s or early 80s, but I saw it on public broadcast I believe just a couple years ago. :confused:

8. kyfarmer

kyfarmer Well-Known Member

Howdy eveyone, If you want to check out something that will make a diffrence for the homestead. Get Alone in the wilderness the story of dick proenneke by bob swerer. A series on pbs tv. You can get a viedo series, not sure what format. This changed my thinking toward life. I don,t know why but this man,s life journey bore into my soul. You want to see what can be done with a few hand tool,s this is the berries.

9. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

found this, adding it to my blockbuster list:

Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa (2007)

10. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

one more on blockbuster:

Alone in the Wilderness (2008)

11. Nadine

Nadine Active Member

Sounds interesting, I'll have to get that one!

12. jebrown

jebrown jebrown

Les Stroud did a show that aired a couple of months back. Not sure what year it was taped. He was building his own hoemstead cabin for his family.
    He utilized some very expensive equipment that the average homsteader couldn't afford.
    He doesn't tape his show all alone as he and the show's producers would like you to believe. Just pay closer attention to his susrroundings and from time to time you cn see the shadow of a camera operator and a camera while Les is narrating on camera.

13. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

found it

Just saw part of that on PBS today, it was great, really hands on and clearly taught.

PBS produced and sells the DVD so it is a little spendy. Many available on eBay.

This is copied from Amazon.com. There is a book and 2 DVD's

The "Alone in the Wilderness 2-DVD package" includes the DVD titled "Alone in the Wilderness" starring Dick Proenneke by Bob Swerer, and the follow-up DVD titled "Alaska Silence & Solitude" where Bob Swerer visits Dick Proenneke about 25 years after "Alone in the Wilderness" was filmed.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  14. modestmoose

modestmoose Member

I've looked at my local Blockbuster and Hastings and have not been able to find Off the Grid: Life on the Mesa (2007). Bummer!

My next bet is to try Hollywood video in the next town over....

15. sailaway

sailaway Well-Known Member

I just recently saw "Alone in the Wilderness" on PBS, it is excellent. Made think about my life.:confused: I think I would enjoy my own copy!

16. Janis

Janis Active Member

The closest thing I can think of to a homesteading show would be 17 Kids and Counting....and actually I think the name of the show has now been changed to 18 Kids and Counting. JEEZ! I can't imagine!

17. Canadian

Canadian Well-Known Member

Isn't the uterus supposed to fall out after that many?