Prepared Society Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
1,084 Posts
If you don't have a problem with the government nationalizing education standards which goes against the 10th amendment keeping them within the scope of the STATE, then you don't have anything at all to worry about with Common Core being implemented in your public school.
This is not mandatory, by any means. Ask your school. They don't have to adopt common core, but they WILL and HAVE adopted it because they won't get federal funding if they don't. So once again, a rogue government is taking over by strong arm tactics.
This is going WAY deeper than just helping kids to do better in math. Research, research, and then research some more.

http://dianeravitch.net/2013/02/26/why-i-cannot-support-the-common-core-standards/

http://www.cheekybumsblog.com/2013/...swers-to-our-most-frequently-asked-questions/

https://www.facebook.com/notes/heat...ot-aligned-with-common-core/10151479110544035

http://catholicmom.com/2013/10/31/what-homeschoolers-need-to-know-about-common-core/

Just as a side note, Iowa has initiated it's OWN Common Core standards which are higher than the national standards. This is slightly better for our kids here, but not by much.

·
I invented the internet. :rofl:
3,698 Posts
...Public school helps teach smart kids how to deal with stupid people, so thats a benefit...
Not really. Smart kids think and question. Both are discouraged by public schools.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My son learns how to deal with stupid people on the internet.

·
Registered
672 Posts
...and as to how we deal with the pervasiveness of Common Core, we buy old textbooks at garage sales, thrift stores, and, yes, even antique stores.

We read "real books" (not textbooks) either nonfiction written about that time in history, or fiction works based in (and written during) that time in history, to get the full depth and breadth of what was going on. (I check the publish dates and try to get the oldest version I can find.)

When the local public schools trashed all of their non Common Core Math textbooks, a local teacher took them all and offered them to the homeschool community. The one I got looked practically brand new.

We're also lucky in that we don't answer to anyone about what we choose to teach, other than to say, we covered these required subjects, we held class 180 days this year, and the student made a passing grade in each subject.

Testing is not even a requirement (if you are under the umbrella of a private school that does not require it, which we are). Even then, I still have my son tested every year (so I can get an objective opinion of his progress). As long as the Pearson Company keeps writing the Stanford 10 the way they always have, I'll be happy.

As far as I can tell from this report, http://images.pearsonclinical.com/images/PDF/Stanford_10_Alignment_to_Common_Core_Standards.pdf, the Pearson Company did not change the test to Common Core, but demonstrated that the Stanford 10 test aligns adequately with the standards as it is already written. Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, since I just skimmed the report.

We've used Stanford 10 for every year but one since my son was in 2nd grade (he's a freshman in high school now), and the questions are not political, and the science questions deal with actual science, not social engineering.

The one year we used another test was not by consent - we were not informed that the test coordinator chose to use Terra Nova until it was too late for us to find a test site for Stanford 10. As a result, that year's test scores were not on par with my son's knowledge or abilities. He complained during break about the Science section being all about global warming. I told him, "With those questions, give them the answer they obviously want to hear...or not, this test is only for me to see, so answer according to your conscience."

So, he answered as he saw fit, and he went from post high school level in Science (Stanford 10 the previous year - sixth grade for him) to being barely at grade level in seventh grade. Ah, my son, he refuses to compromise his principles.

I'm saving all our homeschool materials, because I informed my daughter (who will celebrate her second anniversary this June), that her children will not attend public school, even if I have to teach them myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I gave a speech about the Common Core in front of multiple audiences. I am clearly against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Survival Forum

·
There is a place in Hell for me...the THRONE.
8,927 Posts
I gave a speech about the Common Core in front of multiple audiences. I am clearly against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Survival Forum
Being against it is one thing. Many public educators don't like it but either use Common Core or lose their jobs. Not teaching it is a whole different animal for both homeschoolers and public school teachers.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts