Homemade Vanilla Extract

Discussion in 'Recipe Share' started by Sonnyjim, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Last year I purchased 2 fresh vanilla beans from my local grocery store that ran me $6. I used them in some fresh homemade icecream with only the vanilla beans as flavouring(minus the sugar ofcourse). About 3 weeks ago I went online and purchased a pack of 20 fresh fair trade vanilla beans for $11(that's with shipping).

The recipes is very simple:

345ml(a mickey) of Vodka - cheapest you can find
    1 Mason Jar - sterilized
    4 fresh vanilla beans

Sterlize the Jar, fill it with the vodka, split the beans down the middle and open them up, and then throw them in the jar. Shake it once a day for the first two weeks, then once a week for the next 3-6 months.

It's really that simple. In total I will have 345ml of fresh vanilla extract, at which 'real' vanilla extract sells at $10 for about 100ml.

I posted 2 pictures here. The first one is the Vanilla Extract after just one week and you can see it's already taking on a good colour. The one on the left is a mason jar filled with white sugar with a split vanilla bean in the middle. After 2-3 months this will turn into vanilla sugar and you can use it with your homemade vanilla extract in any recipe like pancakes, muffins, squares, whatever you want.

Attached Files:

2. Emerald

Emerald Well-Known Member

So ? You gonna put up a link to that vanilla? Or ya just gonna make us all suffer?:eek:
    It is $.699 for two beans at the store right now and they look little! But I so wanna make my own extract--I have made the vanilla sugar one time from a bean that I had to buy for another dessert and after I scraped the bean and used the middle for the pudding I just stuck the pod in the sugar like you did--I sure miss vanilla sugar in my coffee.

3. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I forgot to add a suggestion for the Vanilla Sugar. I tried putting it in a mason jar however it seems that whatever moisture is in the vanilla beans has allowed the sugar to start clumping up. I am going to take it out of the jar and put it into a thick paper bag and give it a shake every so often. I think this will allow it to breath a bit more. Another suggestion would be to pick up a full half kg bag of sugar and put a good 4 or 5 beans in there.

4. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

5. Freyadog

Freyadog Member

Been making my own vanilla extract for a long time. When you use some of your vanilla just add a little bit more vodka. those beans will last almost forever. I got my vanilla beans from a health food store. If as rural as we are we have vanilla beans then most places like that will carry them.

6. gypsysue

gypsysue The wanderer

Oooh, thanks guys, for the information on making vanilla extract! I've been wanting this! I can't wait to get some beans and try it! :)

I already have vodka! :D

7. The_Blob

The_Blob performing monkey

why not just remove the label from the original bulk vodka bottle & make a HUGE quantity of the stuff? (750 mL or more) :2thumb:

8. Emerald

I had that happen when I made mine that one time- all I did was put it in a bigger mason jar and shook the jar every so often-I would be worried that putting it in a paper bag it would lose some of the nice bouquet of the vanilla.
    When I shook the jar the clumps broke up and more vanilla flavor was in the sugars all the way thru--probably just got all the sugar in contact with the bean that way. :dunno:
    I also, while surfing the web found a place that is closer than India to pick up a few beans(but Thanks to you Sonnyjim for the idea of buying them online:wave:) I ended up buying 30 assorted beans for $14.05 (that is with the shipping!) supposed to be 10 Gourmet Tahitian beans, 10 Gourmet Madagascar type beans and 10 Madagascar grade B for extract.
    That averages about .47¢ a bean compared to $6.99 for two of one kind and $8.16 for two of another brand here in the local stores.:eek:
    And the background check on the company that is based in PA showed no complaints on the internet or the BBB so I sure hope they come in nice!

9. tortminder

tortminder Well-Known Member

Won an auction for 50 beans for $6.99. Hope they ship. If so, good deal, if not I'm only out $12.00 with the shipping. ;)

10. Emerald

HI! I'm Em and I have a phobia about Ebay!:eek::eek:
    I have tried to "bid" on stuff on Ebay before and never did get anything I was looking for so I have kinda decided not to try anymore.
    I did talk to the folks at the vanilla company I ordered from as I just tried to order from another company some parts and they had a problem with the debit card(we got it fixed tho) and the nice man there said that they had no problems and that it was gonna go in the mail tomorrow so it shouldn't take too long for me to get it. Probably get it quicker from PA to MI than trying to get a package from the other side of my town to me via the mail! lol:2thumb:

11. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

Tortminder, great to hear you got a good deal and I hope it works out for you. My wife made some bread pudding with some homemade bread and since I had them, fresh vanilla beans. I would have used the extract if it was ready but it still needs some more time.

As for buying off of ebay, I have never run into a problem because I mainly buy from people who make a living off of it. I wouldn't purchase from a joe blow and always pay through my paypal account. Anyways, these guys were awsome and I would buy from them again. If I can find cheaper back home, I always like to support local so I'll get it from there.

12. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I know this is off-topic...but today I made homemade pancake syrup...it was so easy..took inexpensive ingredients, and tastes so yummy---

I introduced myself to Mapleline from Wamart--I'd never heard of it.

Syrup--Just like Mom's.

I can't wait to have pancakes.

13. The_Blob

well if they don't; this falls under mail fraud, which is a federal offense :eek:

14. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

You're not limited to just vodka either. I've been making my own vanilla for awhile using a variety of alchols and they all worked fine. Think vanilla-rum for a start...

15. The_Blob

I thought the idea behind using vodka was to just taste the vanilla & not have it blend/ be diluted by other flavors... :dunno:

16. Aemilia

Aemilia Zookeeper

We have been using rum as well. Even though I need DH to run me something through his still asap because I can't afford any alcohol atm.

I bought vanilla beans online much cheaper and split the order with my neighbor.

17. Emerald

I was thinking about making a bit of home made Kahlua and adding a vanilla bean in for extra yummy!
    Or maybe some good brandy and infusing a bit in there! Or maybe I will get a bit more honey and make some vanilla mead! Whooo Hoo! the ideas are endless!

18. CulexPipiens

CulexPipiens Still waiting for the zombies.

Depends on the use of the vanilla. My last refill was with some Brandy and that made for a nice addition to the french toast batter. It really is a very subtle flavor and to be honest in many uses I can't tell what alcohol was used but sometimes you do get a hint of the extra flavor.

19. Emerald

Try adding a splash of vodka to your spaghetti sauce some time--I am sure that there is a huge technical explanation on why, but it really does awaken the flavor even tho vodka(well the good stuff at least;):D) really doesn't add any flavor like wine would.

20. Sonnyjim

Sonnyjim Prepping

I will be taking another 4 beans to some rum and another of whiskey to trail it. I'll let you know how it goes in a few months once it's ready.