Prepared Society Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok lets not get into the stay low or Intimidate arrgument. But hypothetically lets say a group of rowdy city folk or gang members (20-40 people) for whatever reason are going to raid your house,BOL, ect... What homemade defences would you use yo defend your location.(using stuff you currently have) Think of it as a creativity exercise.

Ill start.
First I would take my deck apart for the wood. Board up windows and reinforce doors. Then I would drill screws throught the boards so they are facing outwards so if someone does break the glass they get poked. Then I would put metal wire or any cord ouside of the glass in a grid to prevent molitolv cockails from getting inside. Then I would get garbage bags and pillow cases and fill them up with dirt and put them against the front wall and windows. NExt I would String barb wire around the perimeter of the house with it being 1 ft off the ground using stakes to hold it up. (the overgrown grass would help hide it). And those are just a few of my ideas.

·
Banned
399 Posts
Ok lets not get into the stay low or Intimidate arrgument. But hypothetically lets say a group of rowdy city folk or gang members (20-40 people) for whatever reason are going to raid your house,BOL, ect... What homemade defences would you use yo defend your location.(using stuff you currently have) Think of it as a creativity exercise.

Ill start.
First I would take my deck apart for the wood. Board up windows and reinforce doors. Then I would drill screws throught the boards so they are facing outwards so if someone does break the glass they get poked. Then I would put metal wire or any cord ouside of the glass in a grid to prevent molitolv cockails from getting inside. Then I would get garbage bags and pillow cases and fill them up with dirt and put them against the front wall and windows. NExt I would String barb wire around the perimeter of the house with it being 1 ft off the ground using stakes to hold it up. (the overgrown grass would help hide it). And those are just a few of my ideas.
You sure must be planning on having plenty of warning. I have never heard of rowdy city folk or gang members giving a warning or giving a person time to do much of anything. Seems like they might not be a very successful gang. It takes time to do all you would plan on doing. Before you even got half of the jobs finished they would already have attacked or went somewhere else.

If I was given that amount of time I would begin an offensive against them. Nothing like giving them something to think about during their long wait. Any gang that would give warning and wait until you finished your work would not be that much problem. The leadership is lacking on smarts.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
If you had been hit previously or knew someone that was hit previously that might give you enough warning to set up the defences you describe. I would say however that several (possibly even one) people with 22's could fend off a place from a distance for quite a while. You would want portholes to shoot from and be able to defend in all directions (more people on your side the better). Although a 22 bullet might not have the takedown power it can and will kill... at the very least it will sting! And likely they wouldnt mess with you after the first few shots -- nobody likes the idea of being shot. 22s are cheap defence.

I would recommend the Ruger 10/22 with several extra clips... maybe even some of the hi-cap ones.

·
Banned
399 Posts
If you had been hit previously or knew someone that was hit previously that might give you enough warning to set up the defences you describe. I would say however that several (possibly even one) people with 22's could fend off a place from a distance for quite a while. You would want portholes to shoot from and be able to defend in all directions (more people on your side the better). Although a 22 bullet might not have the takedown power it can and will kill... at the very least it will sting! And likely they wouldnt mess with you after the first few shots -- nobody likes the idea of being shot. 22s are cheap defence.

I would recommend the Ruger 10/22 with several extra clips... maybe even some of the hi-cap ones.
Have you tried one of those reel type things that you can attach to the trigger of a 22? You can sure go through a lot of ammo in a short time.
Fun sometimes but not very practical.

·
Aesops Ant (not Aunt)
1,499 Posts
Have you tried one of those reel type things that you can attach to the trigger of a 22? You can sure go through a lot of ammo in a short time.
Fun sometimes but not very practical.
Nope, never have. But I believe my 22 is my favorite gun to shoot!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The purpose of the thread is to just come up with some ideas for defence. Lets just say for whatever the reason we know they are coming. What would you do with the materials around you do to help set up defences (excluding guns)

·
Rookie Prepper
4,106 Posts
lex - a couple thoughts on your setup.

After removing the deck wood and putting the screws through it, put several of the boards back on the deck, under the windows and doors. They'll be walking on nails if they attempt to get too close to an entry point.

Barbed wire is cheap. I'd run several strands... ;)

I'd also consider:
Screwing doors and windows shut. A deadbolt is strong but a little extra wouldn't hurt.

On your points of probable entry, tie 2 glass containers together. Fill one with bleach, the other with ammonia. Rig it so the bottles fall and break when the entry point is breached. Obviously, make sure you're not near it... A derivation of this is to do the same outside but make it where you can control if/when they fall and mix. (something like fishing line would work. Just tie it to the bottles and pull so they fall/break when you want them to).

Time permitting, create distractions. Generate things that move and get the attackers attention. Moving objects or noise are best.

If you have a septic system, I'd pump it all on the ground near potential entry paths. Would you walk in it??? Me neither. A full perimeter would be optimum.

Obviously, pile furniture and such against all potential entry points.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
My house is in a neighborhood that has undergone lots of gentrification over the last 20 years. When I bought my house 20 years ago, I heard gun shots (gangs) every night for the first year. We used to have lots of grafitti around. Easy money changed that. There are many big houses in the neighborhood as it was a very nice neighborhood at one time, and it has become much better again.

There is a garage in the neighborhood that is not associated with a house. It appears to have been built for storing cars, a garage for car repair, or something. It is large enough to store about a dozen cars. In the changes of the neighborhood, someone bought the garage ($5,000-a steal), and cleaned it out. He then proceeded to weld all kinds of barbed wire and sharp objects on the heavy duty metal screening on the windows. It is not really screening, but a metal mesh that is heavy and would require lots of work to get through. He has greatly reinforced the windows and doors. I will go take pictures and add them later so you can see what I mean.

I think that if you think you want to reinforce your home, begin now. Look for inobtrusive ways to shore up your home--bars (attractive ones), reinforce your doorways and windows, etc. Where possible, replace glass with plexiglass, the thicker the better. A friend of mine had a garage window that was often broken by children playing close to it. He finally replaced it with plexiglass and it will be much more secure now. Inner city schools do this also.

I have been thinking that since the alley goes by one side of my house, I need to prepare those windows first. I have considered corrugated metal, precut to fit, with corrugated wood strips to help tighten up the edges. I wonder if corrugated plastic would be secure? That way you could have light and security.

Corrugate metal might help to secure other aspects of our homes. I also think about what would stop a bullet? Anyone know?

My windows had bars on them at one time, but they came off fairly easily during painting and window cleaning. I still have some of them. I need to look at how to better secure them to the window.

Another thought that I have had is to plant some big, wicked thorny bushes at the base of the windows. The challenge for setting it up to protect us from others means that we have to be careful also. It would be hard to board up a window stepping on a climbing rose bush, or cactus.

I appreciate this thread and look forward to some real input from other members.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the idea about the thorny bushes. Black or raspberrys would be nice that way you could eat them too. Also You could dig a ditch around your perimeter (big enough so you cant jump across) and have thorny plants in the ditch. At the very least it will slow them down.

·
Banned
3,707 Posts
I think this is more than anyone family or individual could do, but I have thought about building a tunnel around the perimeter of a property, or around parts of a property. You could move around unseen in them, use them for storage, and even have some listening posts where you could see what is going on without others knowing you are there. You could store preps there. You could have hidden storage in places in the tunnel also. One way to disguise them would be to have them beside a fence with flower boxes or something like that.

I think having tunnels connecting buildings would be good also. Many colleges have tunnels, they were used during the Underground Railroad and in other times in history.

Lots of work and resources, but could be an incredible form of defense.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Being prepared

Lex your thinking lad!! as for the comment about "advanced warnings" being in a SHTF event that alone is all the warning you should need..of course these ideas should be set up long before they are needed

The pungi stakes were a big eye opener in Nam , yet they were used in the Philippines during ww2 against the Japs... the guerrilla fighters would place them in the deep foliage near trails and when they opened fire the Japs would dive off the trail and...well think about it!! lol...hell I'd bet they were in use hundreds of years ago... or even thousands...

I know having a heavy steel gate with re-bar spikes pointed outward can sure spike a vehicle radiator.. it may not stop it but will make it unusable in the short term..
Sharpened re-bar spikes around your retreat pointing outward and sunk into the ground will stop vehicles and be hard on foot attackers IF it's in deep grass...

There are as many useful tools as ideas!! the best tool is the imagination ...use it!!

Anybody who has hunted with black powder weapons will already have thought of ways to use BP.. homemade claymores.. .. hell even a cannon made from modern steel pipe and loaded with nuts and bolts is not beyond the skills of most anybody...THINK!... go into a hardware store, look at the different pipes and plugs and springs and wires... use your imagination ! OH!! and lots of duct tape!! the world is held together with DucK tape!! lol...

AND..for the moment..you can buy BP over the counter!! no tracks..no records... but hurry!! "THEY" read this stuff too!!.. they've even stopped the sale of road flares or so I've been told.. why do they fear us/ must be they know something we don't!!

Lex is right... think... do...prepare ... be ready to repel the borders!! coz folks...they are coming.. if not today then some day..but coming they are...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I made a flash powder powered cannon type thing that shot blowgun darts out. It was made from copper pipe with a cap and a hole drilled for a fuse. It worked pretty well.
Also I think pneumatic air cannons have big potential. My first pottato cannon was pumped up with a bike pump and fired with a ball valve. It would shoot a tennis ball with a foam sabot 100 yards.(and it even had a leak) I made it for under $50. Im making a new one that will hold 6 times the air with ball valves to each air chamber so I can controll the power of each shot or have multiple shots without repumping. It will be fired by a sprinkler valve that I saudered to a toggle switch and 9v battery. It would be able to shoot anything that will fit in the 3inch pvc. I could launch molitolvs or ammonia and chlorine. Also there have been air powered pvc annons shooting a railroad spike +2 miles.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Should avoid poison gas...

On your points of probable entry, tie 2 glass containers together. Fill one with bleach, the other with ammonia. Rig it so the bottles fall and break when the entry point is breached. Obviously, make sure you're not near it... A derivation of this is to do the same outside but make it where you can control if/when they fall and mix. (something like fishing line would work. Just tie it to the bottles and pull so they fall/break when you want them to).
When the bleach and ammonia mix, it would generate chlorine gas...very bad news for anyone who breathes it in...and you may get a lethal dose too! :eek:

I worked in the burglar alarm industry and some of the safes we monitored had breakable vials of pure ammonia mounted inside near the points where a burglar would try to open the safe with a sledgehammer, etc. When the vial breaks, the ammonia fumes fills the safe, and leaks out through the edge of the door causing immediate, but not usually fatal distress to the criminal :cry: who usually vacates the premises at this point. :surrender: The ammonia can easily be vented and dissipated by the building ventilation system.

Stick to the ammonia...they won't stick around if they a good dose in the face.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm glade to see not only me sets around an day dreams of things that one day might come in handy to of thought out. Like how about a few cans of wasp spray , course one has to take in account young children in the house , but some one trying to kick the door in or after breaking a window , give them a shot of wasp spray in the face.. Heck that stuff can shoot 25 ft. Better yet keep a can in the up stairs window, start spraying an yell down to the ememy .. they look up to a face full. I say this because we have a upstairs window right over our patio door an deck.

·
Just getting started. Always.
1,810 Posts
I like the wasp spray idea.

Im not sure screwing your doors shut is such a good idea, what if you need to get out in a hurry (fire!)?

HB, ya may not want to go into your local hardware store buying up a bunch of materiel that may be construed as bo*b makin stuff!

Sharpened stakes. Large, loud, scary lookin dogs.
Spike strips that the fuzz use to disable cars? Could be deployed in a hurry.
When I was a kid, we used to light a newspaper next to a flammable spray can and shoot them with bb guns. Could easily get a 25' jet of flame. Everyone is scared of fire.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
you can make a nice flamethrower with a pesticide sprayer. Also if you want something that sticks better and burns longer thn regular molitolvs take styrofoam and put it in gassoline and stirr until sticky but pourable its like type of napalm and it can stick to a verticle surface.

·
Premium Member
6,660 Posts
you can make a nice flamethrower with a pesticide sprayer. Also if you want something that sticks better and burns longer thn regular molitolvs take styrofoam and put it in gassoline and stirr until sticky but pourable its like type of napalm and it can stick to a verticle surface.
Just so you know ... I once had to take a class about folks like you... :rolleyes:

:D

1 - 20 of 111 Posts