Homemade Bleach

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Murrel-Maher, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Murrel-Maher

Murrel-Maher Member

How can I make homemade bleach that is less harsh than the store boughten stuff?

2. Jerseyzuks

Jerseyzuks Well-Known Member

Why?

If you need to make bleach that is "less harsh", just dilute it

Bleach is cheap, stores well, and does an amazing job at sanatizing

3. TechAdmin

TechAdmin Administrator Staff Member

What happens if you can't buy bleach anymore IE collapse of shipping. Is bleach even possible to make at home?

4. justsayno

justsayno Member

"Sodium Hypochlorite is prepared by reacting dilute caustic soda solution with liquid or gaseous chlorine, accompanied by cooling.

Sodium Hypochlorite is commonly produced either through a batch process or through a continuous process. "

5. Biscuit

Biscuit Member

I'm a tried-and-true DIYer, but that doesn't sound like anything *I* would want to mess with.

6. Prince

Prince Member

So where do I get caustic soda solution and liquid chlorine to start making my own batch of bleach?

7. Blister

Blister Active Member

There are chlorine tablets available from pool supply companies. You may be able to reconstitute these into something usable but don't quote me on that. I would do some research before I reconstituted chlorine tablets and tried to use the product of it.

8. Tom

Tom Member

I wouldn't want to try to make bleech myself. Reading the Wiki article it seems not very easy or safe.

9. westbrook

westbrook Well-Known Member

the truth about bleach...

Chlorine bleach purchased in a store weakens in strength with time. If you want a weaker bleach and don't want to dilute... let it sit 6 months.. of course you don't know how long it sat in a wherehouse or on the shelf of a store.

So with time bleach looses its strength.

For those wanting to store bleach long term.. use HTH pool bleach. Pool Shock.

This is a crystal that mixes with water to make bleach! lasts for years in its crystal state. Purchased at pool supply stores or walmart come early spring.

10. 10101

10101 Sheepel You Gotta Lovem

+1 on the pool shock;)

For long term storage this is your best bet.

After awhile the bleach you store will turn into salt water.

If you plan on using the bleach before a year or so then you will be fine.

I think that it would be much easier to purchase bleach then to attempt to make your own

11. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

Home Brew Bleach

I store liquid bleach in my shelf rotation system, it is cheap and pre-mixed.
    For my long term storage I store granular calcium hypochlorite (i.e. pool chlorine).
    You can buy it at any pool/spa supply store or the Home Depot. The best price is at WalMart, but it may be a seasonal item in the pool section.
    Be careful when buying the chemical. Read the ingredients to ensure there are no additives, as well, there are some new pool products on the market that are chlorine like but useless or dangerous for this purpose. (Bromine, Potassium)

For the best explanation of the reconstitution process visit this url: Emergency Disinfection of Drinking Water | Safewater | Water | US EPA

I am not a math wiz, but as I figure the 32oz Granular Chlorine bottle I paid $8 for in my emergency bucket will disinfect 25,600 gallons on water. (that does correllate with the safe practice of adding 2 lbs of pool shock to my 28,000 gallon pool).
    I buy my granular pool chlorine in bulk and it seems to last years. When I take pool water samples to the pool shop, the (aged) dry chlorine gives consistent results in raising chlorine levels when they spec it on their computer.

Hope this helps!

12. Big B

Big B Well-Known Member

excuse me here.
    Who cares about your whites being really white in a survival mode anyway, most of us will be really happy to just be able to wash our clothes.:confused:

13. Jerseyzuks

Jerseyzuks Well-Known Member

Bleach is an extremely effective disinfectant

14. Tim

Tim Member

Thanks for the Tip survivalnut! The bottled bleach (pure Colox) does degrad in a few months and it would be handy to have a storable supply on hand. It could save lives in the event of a long term outage of the water supply.

15. SurvivalNut

SurvivalNut Retired Army

When SHTF you can come to my pool party, the water will be crystal clear. I will also be serving non-alcoholic drinks of your choice, with filtered and purified water from the same chlorine stock. Whites are optional in the pool. Prosit!